• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Desperate times call for desperate measures, AKA II will never get another SDO or Westin Desert Willow deposit from us

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We own just one EOY SDO Lockoff, even years, and one premium one bed, and one small one bed SDO. None are platinum. I have always been a bit baffled as to why the separate one bedroom units when added together do not add up to the SDO annual fee. It's just how it is. I guarantee SBR (no longer SBP) is not like that. A small unit + a large 1 bedroom = the same MF's as the full lockoff.

We also own a 2 bed lockoff at Westin Desert Willow, EOY, ODD years.

Anyway, I was looking online for kicks, watching for a date our daughter needed for SBR, which I did finally get, and I just happened to look for winter dates and spring training dates at SDO. There were some still left for February (Pres week) and March (spring training and spring break). I booked the two one bedrooms and listed them on RW and go-koala.com

Then I looked at Westin Desert Willow for next year, found a week President's week in the full lockoff, booked it and listed it as well.

Even if all I get is MF's back for now, that is fine by me.

I am no longer dropping Sheraton/ Westin weeks into II for the "high trading power," which is no longer the case. I will continue to rent the weeks until things get better, or until Marriott/Westin/ Sheraton finally concede that owners should be allowed to reserve specific dates and deposit them into II, the same way all Marriott owners can deposit weeks.

I still don't know what to do about Sheraton Broadway Resort. Our daughter rents those and hasn't rented much this year, with the economy down, food costs so high, and gas prices soaring. People just don't want to travel. If I have to deposit those weeks into II at the end of the summer season, the trading power drop will make them tough to use. I have a few 2 bedrooms from 2023 that I have yet to get an ongoing search match for whale season, something that has always been easy in the past.

We will be rethinking everything we own, if the economy doesn't pick back up again soon.

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
Run the numbers on the benefits you have had from some of these to remind you why they are/were worth it. That will sustain you through the dip and you'll be able to see if/when an upswing comes back.

Decide on where the point of exit is where your net benefits is inadequate for you and then let the numbers guide you towards making a decision. At that point do what feels right, as you've got so much experience that your judgement will be sound.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Run the numbers on the benefits you have had from some of these to remind you why they are/were worth it. That will sustain you through the dip and you'll be able to see if/when an upswing comes back.

Decide on where the point of exit is where your net benefits is inadequate for you and then let the numbers guide you towards making a decision. At that point do what feels right, as you've got so much experience that your judgement will be sound.
If trading power adjusts back up, I will be ecstatic. If my 2 bedrooms at SBR will only pull one bedrooms on Maui, I will have to live with it for now.

Nonetheless, II doesn't get summer deposits of SBR (Myrtle Beach), while RCI gets a huge bulk bank of weeks into SBR and also SDO. I believe the 2026 deposits already hit.

I am thrilled to have found a few nice reservations for SDO and hope to get them rented to reduce the deposits into II. I am not giving II anything of mine for a while, unless I absolutely have to.

Thank you for your kind words. I believe this is going to change for the better. Look at all of the sightings for Westin with Marriott that can be seen today. Something is seriously wrong with giving us supposed preference and taking away trading power to negate the preference period.

And by the way, for all who are dealing with this change, do not acquiesce. Send an email to Marriott and to Interval to let them know you are frustrated with the inability to reserve specific weeks to deposit and the drop in trading power of generic deposits of our deeded weeks.

I am going to insist that I should be able to deposit the few weeks I have that are deeded 24-32 and see what they say.

Meanwhile, we are packing today to leave for Sheraton Broadway Resort tomorrow. Looking forward to a relaxing stay, and apparently Myrtle Beach is not yet crowded.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
Great, just when I get in, the shine seems off II. Not that I'm going to have anything to trade in II till 2026 anyway, so maybe it'll be better again by then?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Great, just when I get in, the shine seems off II. Not that I'm going to have anything to trade in II till 2026 anyway, so maybe it'll be better again by then?

FWIW, many of us have been cautioning new buyers for *years* on TUG about this possibility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My advice is to reserve and rent anything you know will rent, at least for now. We won't make a dent in the II deposits. Many people that do not know TUG do not even know about the drop in trading power. How would you know? You would just keep your ongoing searches and hope for matches. No one to ask or to compare notes.

We have the power of knowledge from this BBS. Love TUG. If you don't have a membership and cannot see the Sightings/ Distressed section of TUG, you are missing out on a lot of good conversations about trading power drops and Sightings you might be interested in.

Join TUG and be a wise old owl, like me.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What do you hope to get via II?

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
What do you hope to get via II?
No idea. As I said in some of my discussions, I was mostly interested in the getaways to "get more places" than I could in RCI. But the getaways are noticeably more expensive, so clearly that is *not* the way to use II. Beyond that, I will be testing out the actual II place I acquired - Fox Run, in the fixed week in August 2025. It might just be one I use as an old fashioned timeshare much of the time IDK. However, I might try and exchange for somewhere on Hilton Head occasionally, I'd want a 2 or 3 BR depending on what's realistic from the 2BR Fox Run (i.e. I enjoyed Hilton Head a lot in the low season end of January in a 3BR for $650 RCI Extra Vacation this year, but I think it might be nicer when it's a little warmer, but not enough to drop $1,500 on it either. But maybe an II exchange could get me April/May? IDK how it all works.)

Otherwise, it's mostly what I can't get via RCI, Wyndham or HGVC. I.e. I need to wait till I plan out 2026 most likely to really "pick a place" vs my troll RCI Extra Holidays or Last Calls for sub $700 2BR that looks interesting and can slot in for driving or whatever in the eastern part of the US.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FWIW, many of us have been cautioning new buyers for *years* on TUG about this possibility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, that's true, but it's also true that past experience usually predicts future experience in most everything timeshare. I do agree that nothing is guaranteed.

Meanwhile, my 2 bed SBR have ongoing searches for one-two bedrooms for anything Hawaii, or Disney in Oct-Jan. I know I will get matches for Disney in January, no doubt in my mind. I have a lot of other searches in for coastal FL and Hilton Head, etc. It's going to work for me, however I have to do it.

I can still see all of the Disney inventory with even the small one bedrooms. Not sure if the small one bedrooms will actually pull a week in the fall, but maybe.

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
I can still see all of the Disney inventory with even the small one bedrooms. Not sure if the small one bedrooms will actually pull a week in the fall, but maybe.
I think your bigger issue is whether there will be any weeks int he fall to see.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I am more fortunate with my II trades. I am still getting what I want as the locations that seem to be most affected are in Hawaii. We like Hawaii but not enough to regularly visit. The hassle of flying with golf clubs and expensive green fees at good golf courses in Hawaii have essentially put a stop to our desire to vacationing there.

We still get trades into Marriott 2BR resorts at drive-to locations using studios.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are currently at Sheraton Broadway Resort. The units are being updated. Aside from skipping over the bathroom tile, the units look completely new and beautiful. The update includes all new furnishings, appliances and carpet. The improvement is all positive and very Marriott-style. The pool area looks updated as well. It's been four years.

The outside of the buildings have been a drab yellow. Most are painted a nice neutral color, very similar to Cypress Harbour in Orlando. I am liking the exterior a lot.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
It was interesting to read your observation about travel being down because of economic issues. Do you think that's primarily travel within the US, because I’ve been reading about how travel to Europe has risen:

I also saw this assessment of Disney travel being up. (It's a blog so not sure of its accuracy but does include some numbers that seem legit.)
https://www.disneytouristblog.com/reasons-crowds-increasing-disney-world-2024/#:~:text=It's%20been%20a%20weird%20year,the%20same%20dates%20last%20year.

Could it be possible it's just timeshare specific? Or people “catching up“ on destinations they missed during COVID, so less interested in some locations like beach trips? Or timeshare renters are a subset more affected by an Issue like gas prices?

Or you're seeing the start of a trend that hasn't shown up more broadly yet?

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
IDK, my travel is up because of timeshares still... Planning next year a bit now. (MarBrisa in Mid March). Might throw in some deals in between. August 2025 NC booked too. I have driving kind of fuzzy for summer, want to hit TN and maybe Branson and New Orleans if I can do one long trip. Europe is probably 2026 for us, just have to figure out where / for how long... I'd love to see travel down, will be less people where I'm going, and might lower costs who knows.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The pool area here at Sheraton Broadway Resort is beautiful, so many chairs in the sun and the shade. The big slide was not exciting for our granddaughter, who is 7. She went down twice and decided it's for babies. The height requirement is 42" and two lifeguards were watching the kids.

The lazy river is fun. The kids liked it. The twins had a blast in the two kids' play areas and the big pool, too. They are 2.5 years old now.

I do think it's low occupancy right now by the numbers at the pool. The weather today is a perfect 80 degrees, slight breeze.

Glad to be here. Broadway at the Beach was a lot of fun last night. Fireworks are happening almost nightly here at the various shopping areas. Broadway at the Beach has fireworks on Tuesdays and Fridays. 10 PM is late for the twins, but Elizabeth will love it.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I keep looking at my exchange history on II, and I see so many incredible exchanges I made before the downgrade in trading power, even ongoing searches are not picking up what they used to before.

The song, "Those were the days, my friends, we thought they'd never end, we'd sing and dance forever and a day."

Just musing on my fortune over the years. I don't think it's actually ended but it's just going to take more oomf to get what I want. Oh, well, as I deposit my unrented 2 bedroom SBR lockoffs into II.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
I’m going to offer a contrarian view… I’m very glad that Vistana (now MVC) does not let its owners reserve specific weeks and then deposit them with II. It seems like that would just make it tougher for normal owners to book for their own usage during popular times, because those high-value weeks would get booked up by people who had no intent to use those dates, they just wanted to deposit them for trading power. That already happens to some extent by owners who make a business of renting out their ownership, I don’t think we should make that worse.

I’m perfectly happen with the current way in which deposits to II work. While it’s a shame that lower-value weeks like WDW (where I own too) don’t have the outsize trading power they once had, it seems to me that’s a function of supply and demand within II's system. (Somewhat ironically, WDW is the timeshare property I stay at most frequently, so I am rarely looking to exchange my ownership there. I could probably do better renting my WKORV than exchanging if I’m not going to use it, but I have traded it a couple of times with satisfactory results.)

It only makes sense that exchanges outside of your own system are more often going to be “trades down” than “trades up” and that’s my expectation when I exchange. That allows me, once in a while, to be delighted when I get a better trade than I’d had any right to expect.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When you wrote WDW, I read it in my mind as Walt Disney World, but I know you said you own Westin Desert Willow. We own an EOY platinum week at WDW. Love the resort, it's very rentable for winter/ Pres week/ spring break weeks. I plan to do that for a while. I have received some incredible exchanges with this week.

I am back and forth on the issue of depositing these as generic or reserved dates. If we don't get the weeks rented, it's very nice to be able to deposit after the season ends.

I don't begrudge anyone who rents their weeks, nor do I begrudge anyone who reserves prime weeks for deposit, in systems that allow it.

That is what timeshare is all about:

Use it if you can
Rent it if you cannot use it yourself
Deposit it if you want to go elsewhere

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m going to offer a contrarian view… I’m very glad that Vistana (now MVC)
Here's another contrarian view. Vistana isn't MVC, thankfully!

1720556862569.png

Unhelpfully MVW invented The Marriott Vacation Clubs and Abound by Marriott Vacations.

1720556743647.png

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When you wrote WDW, I read it in my mind as Walt Disney World, but I know you said you own Westin Desert Willow. We own an EOY platinum week at WDW. Love the resort, it's very rentable for winter/ Pres week/ spring break weeks. I plan to do that for a while. I have received some incredible exchanges with this week.

I am back and forth on the issue of depositing these as generic or reserved dates. If we don't get the weeks rented, it's very nice to be able to deposit after the season ends.

I don't begrudge anyone who rents their weeks, nor do I begrudge anyone who reserves prime weeks for deposit, in systems that allow it.

That is what timeshare is all about:

Use it if you can
Rent it if you cannot use it yourself
Deposit it if you want to go elsewhere
I absolutely agree and don’t begrudge anyone who is working within the rules of the system/exchange network. Hopefully those rules are well designed to prevent most abuses. If they’re not, it’s on the developer to fix that.

What I do begrudge is people who break the rules, like renting out exchanges (which isn’t allowed) vs. home usage (which is.) I don’t get too upset about borderline cases (like someone renting out an SO reservation at their home resort, which might technically be not allowed but doesn't seem horribly unreasonable) but do think that renting II reservations or SO reservations at non-home resorts should result in instant cancellation when caught.

interestingly, I’m not sure there is any prohibition on renting Club Point reservations other than the vague “commercial use” clause, so I guess those are fair game for rental that doesn’t become too “commercial.”

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
nterestingly, I’m not sure there is any prohibition on renting Club Point reservations other than the vague “commercial use” clause, so I guess those are fair game for rental that doesn’t become too “commercial.”
The rental of club point reservations is not really all that vague. It has been well discussed in the Marriott forum. They specifically call out renting of an accomodation.
1720567389923.png

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What is priority 1?

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The rental of club point reservations is not really all that vague. It has been well discussed in the Marriott forum. They specifically call out renting of an accomodation.
View attachment 96018
I stand corrected, so rental of accommodations booked with Club Points is also not allowed and I can add that to my long (mental) list of activities I begrudge. 😜

Those terms are very clear, which I like. I’m not really a fan of the vague prohibition on “commercial use” and wish it was better defined, though I understand why MVC probably chooses to keep that one vague.