• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Deserted Venice contemplates a future without tourist hordes after Covid-19

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Deserted Venice contemplates a future without tourist hordes after Covid-19.

Richard

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I've only been to Venice once and wisely stayed Sunday-Thursday. As it got closer to the weekend, the crowds were getting larger and larger. I can't imagine what the weekend is like. They'll have to weigh quality of life vs. income from the cruise ships.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I think Venice can survive easily without cruise ships. The question is can it survive without most tourists. That I doubt.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw this article and was going to post it, but thought "Ah,why not wait and let Richard do it for me." :)

It does give pause to think, however. 185,000 residents down to 58,000. Not mentioned in the article, but harder for residents to buy daily necessities, schools not having enough kids as young families can no longer afford to live there, most of the current housing unaffordable.

Hawaii has not nearly approached this extreme, but the situation is not totally different either. Both of these places need to use the current situation to take a time out and rethink exactly how they want to coexist with tourism without becoming completely dependent upon it. JMHO

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Perhaps they should let Venice sink into the sea and become a later day lost city of Atlantis.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I just finished a crime novel set in Venice, it was interesting to learn about these same issues covered in the article. A Beautiful Crime br Christopher Bollen.

In addition to Hawaii its similar issues faced here in SoCal.

Maybe Venice is the canary in the coal mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO, Venice needs all kinds of tourists and that includes cruises ship tourists.
How can Venice survive when cruise ships tourists account for over a million tourists per year with deep spending pockets?

There are all kinds of cruise ships that stop at Venice and there are river boat cruise ships that stop at the Venice port for more than one day.

Ladies loved to purchase designer clothes, shoes and jewelry in Venice.
I liked to purchased vino and shoes in Venice. That is a fact.

Last edited: