• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Desert Springs Villas I or II?

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Since I am an owner of Westin Princeville, I am not as familiar with Marriott properties or the Marriott system.

I'm interested in purchasing a Palm Springs/Palm Desert resale unit from either Westin or Marriott. Can any of you Marriott experts tell me the differences between DSV I vs. DSV II? Also, how do these compare in terms of quality and trade value with Westin Mission Hills if anyone is familiar with both?

A final question...I have read some posts indicating that some TUGgers feel Palm Springs is overbuilt, therefore reducing its trade value? Is this true even if I buy a platinum season week?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Bill4728

Reaction score
There are several threads discussing DSV 1 & 2, the biggest difference is that owners of DSV 1 get to use the spa at the JW marriott next door.

As far as the difference between Mission Hills (WMH) & the 3 Marriotts in PS. The biggest difference is not with the resorts ( they both are high quality resorts) but the TS systems that the resorts are associated with. When buying resale with Marriott, you get all Marriott's perferences except trading your TS in for Hotel points. With the Westin, since the WMH is a starwood voluntary resort, you don't get into SVN by buying WMH. You only get WMH. (Have you read the Starwood FAQ on the starwood board?)

Although overbuilt, all four TSs trade very well in II because people trading into PS want quality and the marriotts & Westin are quality.

Last edited:

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We stay at DSV II a couple times a year and are very familiar with the property. We are going to Westin Mission Hills this weekend on getaway for the first time!

DSV II: Units are 1450 sq. ft. and are closer to the main pool area. These units are better set up for families with children than are the DSV I layout. The lock-out room is directly connected to the 1 bedroom unit via two doors that can close and lock. There are multiple drawers under the TV in the family room for toys, books, etc. These units surround the playground. Kitchen is very roomy and nice. The lockout has a king bed and a full size sofa bed.

DSV I: These units are 1650-1720 sq. ft. They are better set up for couples or families with older children (like high school/college). The lock-off is seperated from the main unit by a foyer. Very unsettling arrangement for families wit young kids or parents worried about the kids sneaking out. These units have a fire place (nice!) and a ver large sunken family room with L sectional couch. Staying in these units gives you full access to the amenities at the JW resort, uncluding free day use at the Spa which is super nice. This spa privilege may end at end of next year though. The original agreement for this use ends Dec. 31 2009 and the JW is trying to get out of renewing it. We will see what happens. DSV I units are closer to the very nice tennis complex of the JW which DSV I guests have use of. The lock-off unit has two queen beds and no sofa bed (no couch).

These are the main differences. Feel free to PM me with any other specific questions. You can't beat Palm Springs for sun and warmth!

Janna

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
cp73 owns at DSV I so he would also be a good person to ask some specific questions about the property. Probably sending him a PM is best so he gets it for sure.

Janna

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
Are all of the 2 bedrooms as DSV I and II Lock Outs ? Or are some a straight 2 bedroom with no lock out capabilities?

I am ready to try for my 3rd Marriott....the other 2 failed ROFR...but since they aren't exerciseing as much now, I am ready to get back in the hunt.

Thank you...

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes, all are lockouts.

You can see the various configurations for every Marriott resort that was in existence as of the beginning of 2008. Go to the Marriott historical database of MFs, accessible either from the FAQs for this forum or from the Marriott section of TUG Advice.

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
If I own at DSV I can I use the JW spa facilities when I am not booked at the resort...Just like a day use?

There seems to be some confusion with Marriott and the deed as to weather I won Phase I or Phase II. I am waiting to sign papers and pay till this gets sorted out. Seems like the Maint. fees are $100/ year higher at Phase I...

Thanks!!