• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Desert Arroyo Roble Phoenix Resort Help

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 2 weeks booked at this resort in December. I need help on rental cars and restaurants in the area. Never having been to Phoenix, I would prefer to take a taxi to the resort from the airport and get a rental car from there. The resort does not have a rental car desk onsite. Also any must see things in the area, I'm really into landscape and wildlife photography.
Thanks,
Suzanne

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Google Maps shows this resort is only six miles from the airport. You may be better off renting a car at the airport.

Dave

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I have 2 weeks booked at this resort in December. I need help on rental cars and restaurants in the area. Never having been to Phoenix, I would prefer to take a taxi to the resort from the airport and get a rental car from there. The resort does not have a rental car desk onsite. Also any must see things in the area, I'm really into landscape and wildlife photography.
Thanks,
Suzanne
I’m not familiar with the resort per se but I have stayed in the Phoenix area (Scottsdale) many times. The Phoenix area has a lot of trails and you will be there at a good time of year - not too hot (but make sure you have water if going out).

I’ve liked Camelback mountain which has great views of the valley - it is quite a climb though. Pinnacle Peak is one of my favoriteas well and a much easier walk with good photo opportunities.

If you are willing to drive a bit there are a lot of nice National Forests nearby. The Roosevelt Dam is something to see. Not as grand as Hoover but is still a good example of engineering.

If you are into Christmas lights McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park usually has an incredible display in December. Not sure if they will be doing it this year - but will be something to see.

In terms of wildlife I can’t say that I’ve actually seen much in the area (it is a desert after all). The only thing of note has been some coyotes that we saw in Glendale.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I would not rent from the airport. PHX has sky hi tourism taxes on car rentals and they are charged per day. There is an Avis/Budget lot about 10 miles from the airport. I take an Uber there and rent from them with a return to PHX so I can drop the car at the airport. There is also a Hertz lot not far away as well. The car tax is about $85 a week on rentals so you'll save $170 or so for the cost of an Uber.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not rent from the airport. PHX has sky hi tourism taxes on car rentals and they are charged per day. There is an Avis/Budget lot about 10 miles from the airport. I take an Uber there and rent from them with a return to PHX so I can drop the car at the airport. There is also a Hertz lot not far away as well. The car tax is about $85 a week on rentals so you'll save $170 or so for the cost of an Uber.
Thanks, In checking rates, its around $100 more if renting at airport. I hope to avoid that.

Fredward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin- Lagunamar, Kierland Villas, Marriott- Barony Beach, Aruba Surf Club
As long as you are in Phoenix and have a car, consider driving to Sedona. You will never find a nicer opportunity for
landscape photography. Taliesin West also highly recommended.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
As long as you are in Phoenix and have a car, consider driving to Sedona. You will never find a nicer opportunity for

Sedona is an excellent spot for photography and I love it. I’d be hesitant in doing the drive in a single day in December with shorter daylight hours and the potential for snow through the passes. It would definitely be worth adding a few extra days there if you can swing it.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Thanks,
Suzanne
Welcome! I know the area well! I am a 1+ mile as you are right at South Mtn. I didn't realize that is a resort. I thought those were condos. I live nearby for the convenience of hiking.
South Mtn is the largest city park - larger than Central Park in NYC. There will be wonderful trails right out your back door. If you go early or late, you will see and hear coyotes, owls, and there is history and high vistas there to see for miles.
I always take guests to the Farm nearby and they love it. There's a restaurant for dinner but I've taken guests for lunch and breakfast. The grounds are lovely. It's on 34th, north of Baseline, and East. PM for more info.
The Desert Botanical Gardens is not far and they usually have a special event in the evening which is magical. You will be staying in Ahwatukee. There are a few other resorts nearby. I love the Mariott north of you, 2-3 miles on 48th. The restaurant has wonderful views.

About car rentals, I've rented off site before I moved here and I've rented right at the airport. I can't say I've noticed a difference in pricing. Another TUGGER posted awhile back about renting at an Enterprise, I believe, in Tempe. That's all in the same area. South and East of the Airport.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. What exactly is the Farm and where is it located? It sounds like it would be a good place for dinner.
Suzanne

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thank you. I have been to Sedona. My favorite part of that trip was the Verde Canyon Railroad. It was awesome.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Thank you for your help. What exactly is the Farm and where is it located? It sounds like it would be a good place for dinner.
Suzanne
Here you go!
5 miles or less from where you are staying? N on 48th, Left (West) on Baseline to 32nd St.

Phx and the entire East Valley including Scottsdale is laid out in a grid and super easy to navigate. When I first moved here, I had to get used to people asking my 'cross Streets." That's how everyone identifies where they live, since it's generally 1 mile blocks for the major cross roads.

During the day, I park on the East side of 32nd, and walk in. I truly enjoy walking the grounds. For dinner, you will want to drive in.

The name of the dinner restaurant is Quiessence. Check there website when it gets closer to your trip. They have wonderful special wine-tasting dinners and such.

Tucked away near the back of the property at the Farm at South Mountain, Quiessence delivers farm-focused and uncomplicated cuisine in a very special intimate setting. The restaurant features a delightful array of cheeses, artisan breads, handcrafted pastas and local produce, with unique indoor and award-winning outdoor dining. The wine list features both domestic and Arizona wines, as well as an international reserve list.

Hours

Closed for Summer Break. See you in the Fall!
SAMPLE DINNER MENU (WEEKEND)
SAMPLE DINNER MENU (WEEKDAY)
WINE MENU
DRINK MENU
DESSERT MENU

What Customers Say

Amazing place for foodies. Ambiance and food are beautifully synced. 6 courses are amazing but make sure to starve before coming here to fully enjoy the celebration of the senses at your dinner.

Last edited:

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Suzanne: I have stayed at the Arroyo Roble Resort twice. We love it there mainly because of the location. The units (2 BR and 2 1/2 BA) are large and very comfortable. Keep in mind that the resort sits at the bottom of a very steep hill but its right in the center of town. You can walk up the driveway about 1/3 of the way and there is a parking garage there. Once inside the garage there is an elevator that will take you up to the main street. If you prefer to walk all the way up .... well, it's great exercise if your up to it. When your in town there are numerous restaurants within walking distance.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks,
Suzanne
Go into Autoslash and put in your information and see if they can get you a better rate. So far they've never failed me. Have a great trip.
Bart

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here you go!
5 miles or less from where you are staying? N on 48th, Left (West) on Baseline to 32nd St.

Phx and the entire East Valley including Scottsdale is laid out in a grid and super easy to navigate. When I first moved here, I had to get used to people asking my 'cross Streets." That's how everyone identifies where they live, since it's generally 1 mile blocks for the major cross roads.

During the day, I park on the East side of 32nd, and walk in. I truly enjoy walking the grounds. For dinner, you will want to drive in.

The name of the dinner restaurant is Quiessence. Check there website when it gets closer to your trip. They have wonderful special wine-tasting dinners and such.

Tucked away near the back of the property at the Farm at South Mountain, Quiessence delivers farm-focused and uncomplicated cuisine in a very special intimate setting. The restaurant features a delightful array of cheeses, artisan breads, handcrafted pastas and local produce, with unique indoor and award-winning outdoor dining. The wine list features both domestic and Arizona wines, as well as an international reserve list.

Hours

Closed for Summer Break. See you in the Fall!
SAMPLE DINNER MENU (WEEKEND)
SAMPLE DINNER MENU (WEEKDAY)
WINE MENU
DRINK MENU
DESSERT MENU

What Customers Say
Thank you this sounds perfect for me. I enjoy trying different wines. Hope they will be reopened during my trip.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suzanne: I have stayed at the Arroyo Roble Resort twice. We love it there mainly because of the location. The units (2 BR and 2 1/2 BA) are large and very comfortable. Keep in mind that the resort sits at the bottom of a very steep hill but its right in the center of town. You can walk up the driveway about 1/3 of the way and there is a parking garage there. Once inside the garage there is an elevator that will take you up to the main street. If you prefer to walk all the way up .... well, it's great exercise if your up to it. When your in town there are numerous restaurants within walking distance.
This sounds more like the Resort in Sedona, which I have stayed at. But than you for your help.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m not familiar with the resort per se but I have stayed in the Phoenix area (Scottsdale) many times. The Phoenix area has a lot of trails and you will be there at a good time of year - not too hot (but make sure you have water if going out).

I’ve liked Camelback mountain which has great views of the valley - it is quite a climb though. Pinnacle Peak is one of my favoriteas well and a much easier walk with good photo opportunities.

If you are willing to drive a bit there are a lot of nice National Forests nearby. The Roosevelt Dam is something to see. Not as grand as Hoover but is still a good example of engineering.

If you are into Christmas lights McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park usually has an incredible display in December. Not sure if they will be doing it this year - but will be something to see.

In terms of wildlife I can’t say that I’ve actually seen much in the area (it is a desert after all). The only thing of note has been some coyotes that we saw in Glendale.
Thank you this is the type of info I need.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Thank you this sounds perfect for me. I enjoy trying different wines. Hope they will be reopened during my trip.
Yes! You will be here in High Season. It is normal for them to close this time of year due to the heat and maybe even the Monsoon and Haboobs. It's primarily an outdoor place, but the little restaurant in back is Premier. Their closure has nothing to do with Covid.