• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Depositing MVC Points into II [MERGED]

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was told you could use the holding points on II within the restricted booking window, but not convert to a week and deposit into II.
The agent I chatted with changed her mind about the rules a few times and finally settled on that answer so you might want to try a chat for yourself.

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was told you could use the holding points on II within the restricted booking window, but not convert to a week and deposit into II.
The agent I chatted with changed her mind about the rules a few times and finally settled on that answer so you might want to try a chat for yourself.

I was told the same last year. Doesn't make it true necessarily, but, another data point.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if one exchanges then cancels within 24 hrs. Would that leave a deposit in II effectively depositing a week?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if one exchanges then cancels within 24 hrs. Would that leave a deposit in II effectively depositing a week?
My guess would be you would get your points back- there is no week involved in this option.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It shouldn't be any different than cancelling a request first OGS that matched. The week in that scenario doesn't end up deposited if you cancel inside 24 hours.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You have a very Marriott-centric view of the world. I have traded my Marriott weeks for non-Marriotts many times and have been very happy with the exchange. There are locations where we want to travel to that have no Marriott timeshares or where the Marriott timeshare is not as nice as alternative timeshares. To name just a few - consider Breckenridge, Jackson Hole, Whistler, northern Tahoe, Key West, etc.
It has nothing to do with Marriott.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with Marriott.

Then please explain. DC point exchanges into II is only for non-Marriott exchanges which you say is a poor value. So, why can someone not find good value to use II for non-Marriott exchanges?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think what big Matt was saying is that a points exchange on II requires “too many” points. So if you look at cost per point you are paying more for a non MVC week booked on II with DC points than if you used the DC points to book directly on MVC for a similar week. MVC wants you to stay and their resorts and keep your $ in house.
You might be able to use less points to have a lower season unit deposited or a smaller unit week deposited into II (and pay the upsize fee if a larger unit is available).
An option to using the points on II would be to rent the points or week and then pay cash for your trip if you think that would be a better value.

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think what big Matt was saying is that a points exchange on II requires “too many” points. So if you look at cost per point you are paying more for a non MVC week booked on II with DC points than if you used the DC points to book directly on MVC for a similar week.
You might be able to use less points to have a lower season unit deposited or a smaller unit week deposited into II (and pay the upsize fee if a larger unit is available).
An option to using the points on II would be to rent the points or week and then pay cash for your trip if you think that would be a better value.

Yeah, the trick as always is to trade up, size and season. It's not a bad value if you just get a studio. It's a somewhat "bad" value if you use a matching size and season though.

Last edited:

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the trick as always is to trade up, size and season. It's not a bad value if you just get a studio. It's a somewhat value if you use a matching size and season though.
I have a studio converted from points deposited into II and I see many options to pay to upsize.
In my case I didn’t deposit the “points week” because I want to exchange to a non MVC (I have a week to use if I want that). I did it because my DC points were expiring and depositing made that last another 2 years- so that was valuable to me.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a studio converted from points deposited into II and I see many options to pay to upsize.
In my case I didn’t deposit the “points week” because I want to exchange to a non MVC (I have a week to use if I want that). I did it because my DC points were expiring and depositing made that last another 2 years- so that was valuable to me.

I understand. I think I will use it as a normal course of action though since we are often going places that have no MVCI resort. A medium season studio would likely work for me, what TDI range did you use for your studio? Maybe a low TDI would be good enough? 1,000 points for a nice external exchange that I can't otherwise get via getaway isn't bad. And it is most definitely useful in your circumstance.

A useful tidbit I got from MVCi was that the weeks could be used for Shertaon, Westin, etc. Even though those are sort of internal exchanges now, in this case, they said it still counted as external. I don't have such a week now, if you still do, do you find this to be true?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand. I think I will use it as a normal course of action though since we are often going places that have no MVCI resort. A medium season studio would likely work for me, what TDI range did you use for your studio? Maybe a low TDI would be good enough? 1,000 points for a nice external exchange that I can't otherwise get via getaway isn't bad. And it is most definitely useful in your circumstance.

A useful tidbit I got from MVCi was that the weeks could be used for Shertaon, Westin, etc. Even though those are sort of internal exchanges now, in this case, they said it still counted as external. I don't have such a week now, if you still do, do you find this to be true?

Yes you can exchange to Sheraton/Vistana/Westin- and no exchange fee for those!

My week selection was all about using my leftover points. I selected a high season studio.
I can see many premiere and elite resorts. I could book a 2Br at Sheraton broadway plantation in Myrtle beach first week of October for just the up size fee. I see premiere resorts on Kauai. Plenty of options.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes you can exchange to Sheraton/Vistana/Westin- and no exchange fee for those!

My week selection was all about using my leftover points. I selected a high season studio.
I can see many premiere and elite resorts. I could book a 2Br at Sheraton broadway plantation in Myrtle beach first week of October for just the up size fee. I see premiere resorts on Kauai. Plenty of options.

Thanks! That's what I was hoping. So, in essence, I can spend DC points to get into a Sherton or Westin, with no exchange fee. Though not the same as booking directly with points of course.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Then please explain. DC point exchanges into II is only for non-Marriott exchanges which you say is a poor value. So, why can someone not find good value to use II for non-Marriott exchanges?
My bias is to stay in the point system and not use II with your points. Now, that's just my opinion. Others clearly have been able to use them and have wonderful exchanges. I rarely use my points for Friday and Saturday stays which saves me almost half of my points while only losing two nights. When I combine them with II exchanges for a 12 day stay, I usually do so with a studio or 1BR plus the points. This summer I'm staying in Hilton Head for 12 days and used a 1BR and 5 destination clube points. Total cost in terms of maintenance fees are about $2000 give or take. The rack rate at Grande Ocean for those 12 days is about $7200. The 1750 points for 5 nights comes out to almost $1.7 per point. That's pretty strong.

Again, I'm not trying to rain on other people's parades. I use a non-Marriott trader to get exchanges outside of the Marriott system.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
My bias is to stay in the point system and not use II with your points. Now, that's just my opinion. Others clearly have been able to use them and have wonderful exchanges. I rarely use my points for Friday and Saturday stays which saves me almost half of my points while only losing two nights. When I combine them with II exchanges for a 12 day stay, I usually do so with a studio or 1BR plus the points. This summer I'm staying in Hilton Head for 12 days and used a 1BR and 5 destination clube points. Total cost in terms of maintenance fees are about $2000 give or take. The rack rate at Grande Ocean for those 12 days is about $7200. The 1750 points for 5 nights comes out to almost $1.7 per point. That's pretty strong.

Again, I'm not trying to rain on other people's parades. I use a non-Marriott trader to get exchanges outside of the Marriott system.

Yep, 12 night stays are a wonderful use of points. No doubt, we are so tired of 1 week stays and not going to buy twice as many weeks for 2 week stays. Even better, where possible is those extra 5 days on points non weekend nights with within 60 days discount using puck trick. The 5 nights of points stays are often cheaper MF wise than the weeks portion. From the point of view you have explained, totally agree with you.

For me, I don't want to pay more MF, so, not getting more weeks to trade in II and while I am sure it's cost effective, don't want non Marriott weeks either. I have enough things to try and keep up with so don't want another system no matter how easy. And I do want them enrolled in MVCI. YMMV. So, cheap points studios deposited into II to trade are a good compromise that can also be pretty cost effective. Just depends on the year and what else we are doing. Sometimes, we are unable to get into a resort we awnt to go to with II, so, sometimes we spend points to get in. For those years, wouldn't have enough points for making very many deposits. Other years, we are able to get everything via exchanges, bonvoy, or getaways, so, can pile up some studio deposits via points. As I am logged into II daily, it's really a blast for me to be trading into places all over the world.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
The 12-night II exchange / Destination Point combination is the absolute sweet spot of the current setup. The issue for many people is that they can't take advantage of it because of school calendars, work, etc. (COVID notwithstanding). Having the bookend weekends also allows you to drive to most U.S. desinations in your own time zone and use some Bonvoy points in a city along the way for a really nice 16-day trip.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
You don't book a week to deposit. Here is the chart for DC points conversion to an II week. You get to pick the TDI and size. You can only use II week to book non-Marriott timeshare stay. If you pick a 1BR and the week can "see" a 2BR, you pay for the size upgrade fee in II.

Travel Demand Index (TDI) Based exchange values
TDI
Range
Full-Week Exchange Values
Studio1-Bdrm2-Bdrm3-Bdrm4-Bdrm
Peak140-1502,2503,0004,5006,0007,000
High115-1351,7502,7504,0005,0006,000
Medium90-1101,5002,2503,0004,0005,000
Low50-851,0001,5002,2503,0004,000

So based on the above chart, if I have 3,000 points and am pretty flexible about when I'd use them, how should I break them up? I was thinking two medium studios, which would cost me ~$900/week in MFs, hoping to upsize to 1BR or 2BRs. Every week I trade in II right now costs me about that on the week side, so that seems reasonable to me.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So based on the above chart, if I have 3,000 points and am pretty flexible about when I'd use them, how should I break them up? I was thinking two medium studios, which would cost me ~$900/week in MFs, hoping to upsize to 1BR or 2BRs. Every week I trade in II right now costs me about that on the week side, so that seems reasonable to me.
I have never done it myself. Others will have to jump in.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
First I'll disclaim that I haven't exchanged points with II and it's unlikely I would. But I have a few thoughts for you and this will help check my understanding of the system from those more knowledgeable in this area. I think you're going to have to match the TDI AND unit size of the underlying exchange and it looks like this is even true within the 60 day window. So you need to determine what you want both TDI and unit size and will need enough points to match what you want. If does not look like you can up trade even with deposit first as I'm understanding it. Plus you can't exchange for MVC resorts. IMO, and if accurate, that makes it an almost worthless system for II exchanges for all but the highest end and maybe, the lowest end options. Personally I'd make a reservation and deposit with an independent exchange company before I'd go this route. The only way I might consider using it, if I'm understanding correctly, would be request first for pie in the sky options. This reminds me a lot of the DVC exchange options back in the days when DVC was with II. Is there anything I'm missing as for as being able to up trade with an ongoing search either by matching larger when searching for smaller or during the flexchange time frame, I'd appreciate that information.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

If you scroll up to post #4 you will see my experience with using DC points on II.

I had leftover points about to expire so I had MVC deposit them as a week into II to exchange to non MVC resorts (note that you can exchange to Vistana/Sheraton/ Westin with no exchange fee). This gIves me 2 years to make my exchange instead of points expiring. Because of the pandemic I have not made my exchange yet, but I have searched with my unit (a high season studio because it matched the points I needed to rescue). The week exchanges just like any other weeks TS not restricted to theTDI you select and I see plenty of options to pay for upsize (No fee inside 60 days).
I own an MVC week and so would not need to convert my points to exchange on II other than this case to prevent expiation.

You can also use your points on II if you wish to travel before the points expire. You don’t deposit DC points into II. You can request or just search often. When you log onto II and go under exchange, my units, you see your points account with exchange or request and you work from there. You can select however many points you want to search with- II doesn’t know how many points you want and so an exchange needs to be confirmed with MVC before it is final.

These options allow those who own DC points only to use the II membership that comes with the DC club dues to access the entire II resort system.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
If you scroll up to post #4 you will see my experience with using DC points on II.

I had leftover points about to expire so I had MVC deposit them as a week into II to exchange to non MVC resorts (note that you can exchange to Vistana/Sheraton/ Westin with no exchange fee). This gIves me 2 years to make my exchange instead of points expiring. Because of the pandemic I have not made my exchange yet, but I have searched with my unit (a high season studio because it matched the points I needed to rescue). The week exchanges just like any other weeks TS not restricted to theTDI you select and I see plenty of options to pay for upsize (No fee inside 60 days).
I own an MVC week and so would not need to convert my points to exchange on II other than this case to prevent expiation.

You can also use your points on II if you wish to travel before the points expire. You don’t deposit DC points into II. You can request or just search often. When you log onto II and go under exchange, my units, you see your points account with exchange or request and you work from there. You can select however many points you want to search with- II doesn’t know how many points you want and so an exchange needs to be confirmed with MVC before it is final.

These options allow those who own DC points only to use the II membership that comes with the DC club dues to access the entire II resort system.

Hope that helps.

That's the plan. I think I'll match what you have and use some points in DC or Hilton Head this fall.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's the plan. I think I'll match what you have and use some points in DC or Hilton Head this fall.
If you are looking for DC reservation on HHI this fall take a look soon- very little available.
Good luck.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Hope that helps.
Was this a Covid related deposit or before?