• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Delayed First Class Mail Delivery

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
We had to put in a locking mailbox because of thefts in our neighborhood. So I now use a key to open my mailbox.

Our area has also had problems with mailbox theft at the drop boxes located in less traveled areas. I guess check washing is a problem from what I hear from neighbors.

If I have something really important to mail I drive to the post office and hand deliver it to a post office employee. Or I catch my mail carrier when she stops at my box and hand my mail to her.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
That's what I did with my mother's federal tax payment in July.
But the check traveled through the postal system and cleared the bank in record time!
You can be sure the IRS will find ways to expedite their mail....

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I'm mailing out payments 6 weeks ahead so it reaches the destination. The insurance has a credit card option but there is an additional charge to do this method. I think it was $16 extra!!! On top of the insurance premium. Never had this problem until June hit for payment.
Do you have a U.S. based bank that offers a bill pay service, @nerodog? I ask this because the two institutions we use for our money will both pick up the charges for any late fees caused as a result of mail delays. On the plus side, both of these banks have continued to expand the relationships with common creditors.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We had to put in a locking mailbox because of thefts in our neighborhood. So I now use a key to open my mailbox.

Our area has also had problems with mailbox theft at the drop boxes located in less traveled areas. I guess check washing is a problem from what I hear from neighbors.

If I have something really important to mail I drive to the post office and hand deliver it to a post office employee. Or I catch my mail carrier when she stops at my box and hand my mail to her.
Several years ago, I stopped putting outgoing mail in our mailbox but in our case, I worked at a business with a lot of outgoing mail and we could add personal (stamped) mail to the outgoing flow of mail. Not every business has this but a lot of people still don't take advantage of this.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Several years ago, I stopped putting outgoing mail in our mailbox but in our case, I worked at a business with a lot of outgoing mail and we could add personal (stamped) mail to the outgoing flow of mail. Not every business has this but a lot of people still don't take advantage of this.
We have done the same. We stopped when we still lived in California and had a single mailbox. I just didn't feel safe putting outgoing mail, especially anything with a check, in there. There was a blue box right outside the building where I worked, so I'd drop the mail there. Here we have a "gang" mailbox that is locked, but I still don't feel secure putting outgoing mail in it. So we'll drop mail at a blue box when we're out.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have done the same. We stopped when we still lived in California and had a single mailbox. I just didn't feel safe putting outgoing mail, especially anything with a check, in there. There was a blue box right outside the building where I worked, so I'd drop the mail there. Here we have a "gang" mailbox that is locked, but I still don't feel secure putting outgoing mail in it. So we'll drop mail at a blue box when we're out.

The absolute best place to leave outgoing mail is in the mail slot inside your local Post Office. Granted, it may not be convenient, but it is the safest (you never have to worry about outsiders getting their hands on your personal information during the collection process).

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Luanne - have you noticed those blue boxes are harder to find these days as there seem to be less of them around town? I suspect the usage of the blue boxes is somehow tracked to determine if they are worth keeping....I know some have definitely disappeared here.....

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
The US Postal Service website says that mail delivery has been affected by COVID-19, and that some mail is taking longer than the normal time frames. It goes on to say that there may be delays in package delivery, but that First Class mail and Express Mail (overnight) has not been affected.

On Monday, July 27, I mailed a couple of checks for deposit. The envelope was mailed from a rural area in southwest Michigan. The destination was Dublin, Ohio, which is a suburb of Columbus. Columbus is a major metropolitan area.

The bank did not receive the mail until today.

That's more than a week. And it's utterly ridiculous. The Postal Service is experiencing serious problems and delays, and they are not acknowledging that First Class Mail is affected.

Kat
Kat,
I live in MI as well and I have a birthday in July, received my renewal for my license plate tabs in June. Mailed them with my money the next day on June 4 and received my tabs in the mail yesterday. I’ve also noticed that the 2 mailbox’s that I use to mail bills (3 small mom and pop companies that I use don’t have a way for me to pay their bills online) have been removed or stolen. Ugh

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kat,
I live in MI as well and I have a birthday in July, received my renewal for my license plate tabs in June. Mailed them with my money the next day on June 4 and received my tabs in the mail yesterday. I’ve also noticed that the 2 mailbox’s that I use to mail bills (3 small mom and pop companies that I use don’t have a way for me to pay their bills online) have been removed or stolen. Ugh

Actually this may not be a USPS issue. I had to renew my license plate stickers in both May and June (two different cars). Called the State to find where they were and the State said all DMV processing was behind due to COVID situation as they had a serious backlog. I received everything about six to eight weeks later....

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have a U.S. based bank that offers a bill pay service, @nerodog? I ask this because the two institutions we use for our money will both pick up the charges for any late fees caused as a result of mail delays. On the plus side, both of these banks have continued to expand the relationships with common creditors.
Hi there! I will ask my US bank...great idea!!.. thank you!!!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
@Luanne - have you noticed those blue boxes are harder to find these days as there seem to be less of them around town? I suspect the usage of the blue boxes is somehow tracked to determine if they are worth keeping....I know some have definitely disappeared here.....
We live close to two post offices in town. One of them is in a mall and there is a blue box outside that is close to Sprouts. Dh will drop mail there. The other post office is the mail one and there are four of the drive up type across the street. Those are the ones I usually use. No need to get out of the car.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Simple, the mailman does not have a device to indicate its been delivered in real time, the updates are not processed until end of shift upon return to the PO.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I can understand that but why say it was on the porch when it was delivered to the mailbox?
Ran into another post office problem this week. My wife baked cookies and cake for our Grandaughter's 13th birthday. Mailed it from our Cupertino post office to Sacramento. It went from Cupertino to San Francisco to Sacramento back to San Franciscio back to Sacramento and they still haven't received it yet. It was done in the morning on Tuesday.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I can understand that but why say it was on the porch when it was delivered to the mailbox?
Ran into another post office problem this week. My wife baked cookies and cake for our Grandaughter's 13th birthday. Mailed it from our Cupertino post office to Sacramento. It went from Cupertino to San Francisco to Sacramento back to San Franciscio back to Sacramento and they still haven't received it yet. It was done in the morning on Tuesday.
Well we had a mattress delivery a few months back. Got notice it was "in the mailbox". If that had happened it would have been a miracle. :D It actually was delivered to the house across the way.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well we had a mattress delivery a few months back. Got notice it was "in the mailbox". If that had happened it would have been a miracle. :D It actually was delivered to the house across the way.

That's no mailbox......!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Have you noticed blue boxes which face out toward the street, on the passenger side of the car.
When I don't have a passenger, I'll approach on the left side of the street... if there's no traffic.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolutely we need improved customer service. However, at least for myself, I am 100% convinced that if we privatize the USPS we will have more of a reduction of services (at higher prices), not an enhancement of services.

I find it rather ironic (and surprised it’s even legal...though probably isn’t) that the guy (and his wife) in charge now of the USPS has many millions of investments in competing companies. You can’t convince me he has the best interests of the USPS in mind when he made the decision to slow down the mail and reorganize.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I use the Post office in USA alot. I mail cards, receive medications, do my passport renewals and feel we need to view it as a service. It's not a business. Looks like a vote with Congress. I've been following as I rely on it to receive many letters from my Med providers, retirement , etc etc.

Brett

Reaction score

USPS and NASA are at the top of favorable public opinion polls. Those governmental agencies are slowly being privatized o_O

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I suppose the FDA and National Park Service are next ...

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually this may not be a USPS issue. I had to renew my license plate stickers in both May and June (two different cars). Called the State to find where they were and the State said all DMV processing was behind due to COVID situation as they had a serious backlog. I received everything about six to eight weeks later....

The Commonwealth of Virginia DMV offices are behind in issuing Handicapped plates, license plate stickers and driving license renewals, ID cards because of COVID - 19..

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
My bff's daughter has worked at Kennedy Space Center, in the safety area for years. She has never worked for NASA, but for private contracting companies.

Country Roads

Reaction score
The federal government must try to meet it's own goal of business contracting and subcontracting, which of course helps the economy. The federal government spends billions of dollars on contracts each year and is without any doubt, the largest buyer of goods and services in the country. In fact, federal agencies are mandated to contract at least 23% to small business owners.

IMHO, I can't see how contracting or subcontracting work out demonstrates that the agency itself is privatized. In fact by doing so one can only assume, it saves the government billions upon billions of dollars in employee costs.

I suppose we could simply raise taxes to cover that cost though. ;)

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw parts of the new Postmaster General's testimony before Congress the other day and I think a lot of folks have lost focus of the "service" part of USPS. Everyone is talking about "beefing up" for the upcoming I election but I think there is a huge issue here. It is NOT JUST the upcoming election, but viable, dependable mail services for years, and years to come.

I really hope this PMG does not slowly dismantle the USPS. Once folks can't trust the mail then it will be all downhill from there as people will stop using it.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that the USPS survives!