• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Delayed First Class Mail Delivery

brennka

TUG Member
Reaction score
The US Postal Service website says that mail delivery has been affected by COVID-19, and that some mail is taking longer than the normal time frames. It goes on to say that there may be delays in package delivery, but that First Class mail and Express Mail (overnight) has not been affected.

On Monday, July 27, I mailed a couple of checks for deposit. The envelope was mailed from a rural area in southwest Michigan. The destination was Dublin, Ohio, which is a suburb of Columbus. Columbus is a major metropolitan area.

The bank did not receive the mail until today.

That's more than a week. And it's utterly ridiculous. The Postal Service is experiencing serious problems and delays, and they are not acknowledging that First Class Mail is affected.

Kat

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
This is all happening on purpose...and it's all over the news, just look for it and you'll find it.

This is causing major disruption in business, as well. The result is that UPS and FedEx are receiving more business, at least from what I can see anecdotally from colleagues (and my own business).

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I mailed a flat rate envelope from CA to Fletcher OH last Tuesday, it got there in 3 days so some of it is moving, maybe just not letters. It was $7.

If you are paying bills now is not the time to be mailing checks, use Billpay online payments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We have problems with deliveries in our area from all carriers. Mostly it's with packages (or mail) being delivered to the wrong address. The house across the arroyo from us gets a lot of our stuff. They don't have a house number, but their lot number is the same as our street number. Very confusing. I don't know why when they set up the addresses they didn't just number the houses the same as the lot numbers. Would have saved a lot of confusion.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
On Monday, July 27, I mailed a couple of checks for deposit....

Your bank should be able to accept remote deposits via cell phone,
I did it once, but my bank's close to home...
Where I am, it's often easier to visit a bank or merchant than to mail.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We mailed a first class letter on June 28, 2020 from Suffolk,VA to Lynchburg, VA and the letter has not arrived as 8/4/2020 8:51PM.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
This is all happening on purpose...and it's all over the news, just look for it and you'll find it.

I can see where this is heading.....

This is causing major disruption in business, as well. The result is that UPS and FedEx are receiving more business, at least from what I can see anecdotally from colleagues (and my own business).

The fact is mail delivery has been suffering for years - this phenomena did not start in 2016. It is the result of much less mail moving through the USPS (mainly in the form of less advertising and promotional mail - bulk mail) which was the basis for the USPS being able to be within sniffing distance of covering their costs for so many years. Profilts from bulk mail allowed the USPS to keep 1st class mail prices low and still move mail quickly throughout the country. As bulk mailings have decreased (which has been happening for more than a decade), the USPS is feeling pressure to find ways to cover the high costs associated with 1st class mail delivery. In other words, the USPS loses money on 1st class mail and while it previously could recoup those losses from bulk mail profits, that has not been true in many years.

The USPS has been slow to change in light of this fact - restricted in some aspects due to laws and regulations - but (likely) more due to the fact that the larger an organization becomes, it often loses its ability to act quickly in the face of a changing environment.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stop Whining about the USPS. Like paper checks it's a relic of the past. I try to make all my payments online and use online bill pay. As mentioned in another post.. Yes I still use paper checks only when necessary.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, (Monday) I put a letter in my mailbox for local delivery. Our mailman is always here by 10am. Until today. It is now 8pm and that letter is still in the box waiting to go out. I'll take it to the post office shortly.

Not a big conspiracy fan, but with the snafus on the news, it makes one wonder.

Jim

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I can see where this is heading.....

Hiya! Well, my head isn't buried in the sand. I read the news. I understand what's happening. I suspect you do, too, and simply won't comment on it for various reasons.

The fact is mail delivery has been suffering for years - this phenomena did not start in 2016. It is the result of much less mail moving through the USPS (mainly in the form of less advertising and promotional mail - bulk mail) which was the basis for the USPS being able to be within sniffing distance of covering their costs for so many years. Profilts from bulk mail allowed the USPS to keep 1st class mail prices low and still move mail quickly throughout the country. As bulk mailings have decreased (which has been happening for more than a decade), the USPS is feeling pressure to find ways to cover the high costs associated with 1st class mail delivery. In other words, the USPS loses money on 1st class mail and while it previously could recoup those losses from bulk mail profits, that has not been true in many years.

The USPS has been slow to change in light of this fact - restricted in some aspects due to laws and regulations - but (likely) more due to the fact that the larger an organization becomes, it often loses its ability to act quickly in the face of a changing environment.

Yup, I agree. USPS needs to innovate faster, and they aren't doing so...but then, the 2006 law that forces them to prefund retirement (and then having that money "borrowed" for other purposes) just isn't helping. It would be nice if the USPS was treated in this regard like any other business, but it's not.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
It isn't just a US Postal Service problem. The Canadian mail is slow too. My next door neighbor just got a package (small bubble padded envelope) yesterday that was mailed in mid-April from Halliburton ON -less than 100 miles from here! Our DD's birthday card from her Grandma (about 75 miles away) took 3 weeks to arrive but her card from her aunt who lives 4 doors away from Grandma, got to DD's in less than a week. The cards were mailed at the exact same time and my SiL addressed both cards identically so the address wasn't the issue.

~Diane

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Stop Whining about the USPS. Like paper checks it's a relic of the past. I try to make all my payments online and use online bill pay. As mentioned in another post.. Yes I still use paper checks only when necessary.
Not all online bill payments are executed electronically. I worked for years at a major bank supporting internet banking and installed their online bill payment software. A lot, but not all, vendors accept electronic payments. When that happens your payment becomes a printed check that is sent out in a bulk mailing. For most bill payment systems there's a pecking order for how payments are delivered:

1. To accounts the business recipient has with your bank.
  2. Electronic delivery (called ACH or Automated Clearing House) for bulk payments (multiple payments in 1 transaction - yours plus several others bundled together).
  3. Bulk payment via check which is printed and mailed.
  4. Single payment via check which is printed and mailed.

Basically from the least costly method of delivery to the most costly method of delivery.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Our business only received two mail deliveries last week, vs our normal daily delivery. No big deal for me as I do whatever I can electronically, but my boss, who is a bit of a dinosaur and insists on receiving payment in the form of check only (no electronic or credit card payments) as well as mailing bill payments to all vendors, is pretty peeved.

I still can't believe that people complain about slapping a 50 cent sticker on an envelope and expect someone to take it across the country in just a few days. We are so spoiled.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We've noticed the mail carrier coming by much later than usual.
After ~50 years, our nearby P.O. is gonna close. Their jobs are terminated.
They seem be trying to save $$ thru consolidating and reductions in force.
... But Amazon is giving them some deliveries, so maybe that'll help some.

travelpager

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana: WKV (AZ); SVV-Bella (FL); WRV (CO); some SheratonFlex

Brett

Reaction score

interesting - I was unaware of the changes in USPS

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Been all over the news for months now. Like everything else, it all starts at the top. The USPS has a new director with experience in logistics that has went in and made wholesale changes. More power to him if they work. But, that doesnt appear to be the case so far. Our mail person isn’t even getting to our house now until late evening and then half the time items that we saw in informed delivery were in fact not delivered.

From wiki “Upon assuming office as Postmaster General, DeJoy began taking measures to reduce costs. Critics claim these measures may result in slowing of the mail service.[18][19][20] DeJoy agreed to discuss the matter at a hearing before the House Oversight Committee scheduled for September 17, 2020.[21]

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back in the early 90's there was a PMG Marvin Runyon.
AKA Carving Marvin.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I may be in the minority but I think the PO is doing a decent job under the circumstances. Yes, sometimes things are slow and yes, it seems like some things cost more. One thing I like is tracking where you can have the status of an item in transit emailed to you. Another is something I know nothing about which is something like notification by email of mail delivered to you...

George

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not all online bill payments are executed electronically. I worked for years at a major bank supporting internet banking and installed their online bill payment software. A lot, but not all, vendors accept electronic payments. When that happens your payment becomes a printed check that is sent out in a bulk mailing. For most bill payment systems there's a pecking order for how payments are delivered:

1. To accounts the business recipient has with your bank.
  2. Electronic delivery (called ACH or Automated Clearing House) for bulk payments (multiple payments in 1 transaction - yours plus several others bundled together).
  3. Bulk payment via check which is printed and mailed.
  4. Single payment via check which is printed and mailed.

Basically from the least costly method of delivery to the most costly method of delivery.
Right if i send a payment to your home address. You will get a paper check about 5 days later. The system must have check printing locations deployed around the US. Printed check is mailed in bulk close to the delivery location.

I still don't have to leave my home to mail a check.

On the flip side I receive the check open my backing app. Take a photo and deposit! Viola. Never left my home!

The online bill pay has never missed a delivery deadline when paper checks have been sent!

Country Roads

Reaction score

You need to understand that not all areas have the needed internet access available for on-line bill pay. There are many also, that simply can't afford internet service, for whatever reason. I still have one large company that requires either paper checks or you have an account with a banking institution of their choice.

Sorry, I'll bank with whomever I choose to bank with.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing if you can't afford it? Yes I take it for granted since I make a living depending on the net.

If you are in Business or have a checking account and live in an area that lacks internet.... Well what can I say. It is is necessity.

Country Roads

Reaction score
One thing if you can't afford it? Yes I take it for granted since I make a living depending on the net.

If you are in Business or have a checking account and live in an area that lacks internet.... Well what can I say. It is is necessity.
Affordability, necessity and availability are all different aspects which some have little or no control over.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a distinct feeling that the USPS "may be" on the verge of eliminating deliveries on Saturdays. This is something that has been talked about for ten to twenty years, and my belief is that it may happen by the end of the year.

Actually, I think the carriers could really enjoy this so that they can live like normal folks with Saturdays and Sundays off each and every week. Right now they have Sundays off plus a different day off each and every week. Not a really enticing work schedule in my opinion.

If the Post Office moves to a five day a week delivery then the savings will be huge! Those delivery vehicles will sit in the Post Office yards 52 extra days a year without the need for gasoline or wear and tear during those extra days off.

I'm all for keeping the USPS. I'm also all for running it efficiently so that those of us that use it can benefit from it. Remember, there are large rural areas of our Great Country that have little or no internet service. Closing the USPS will seriously affect those who do live in rural areas. And closing the USPS will likely have a higher effect on lower income Americans.