• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Defaulting on Worldmark The Club

bikertrash2007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark Wyndham
Hello all,
this is an update. Around March 2018 I posted for advice about getting out of my timeshare. I tried giving back my credits but WM will only take them back if they are paid off. I had contacted various exit companies, but the resale value was too low to cover the debt. I owed for 70,000 credits/points. Besides the enormous fees exit companies charged and my lack of trust, I decided to default instead in October 2018. I had been called and mailed numerous times to make a payment plan. At one glimmer of hope, I was sent a letter around May 2019 that suggested I call WM for an exit strategy. I called about 10 times, left 4 messages and did not receive a single response.
So I gave up.
In June 2019, WM updated 2 out of 3 credit bureaus that they repossessed the property. February 2020 I received a 1099-A for repossession of personal property. They put the value at double of what I owe. After discussing it with my tax lady and her top tax consultants and owner, we made a "wash" of it on my joint tax return. For 2019, it won't affect me. For 2020, I might take a hit if they cancel the debt with a 1099-C. If they do that, then I have to file a separate tax return from my husband and/or file BK.
Holding my breath that WM will no longer come after me. This is the reason I will not add my name to our home. Don't need a lien hanging over my head :/

So those of you considering defaulting, this is something to keep in the back of your mind. I will update if more info comes my way.

FunnyFarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point @ Poipu, Lawai Beach Resort, MROP/VRI, Worldmark
Seems very weird that a club/points membership could be considered property that can be repossessed.

bikertrash2007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark Wyndham
Form 1099-A, Acquisition or Abandonment of Secured Property

My argument is that its a club and you purchase points. Doesn't matter because WM says otherwise.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Considering 70,000 points is only worth about $10,000, it's still better than paying off the loan.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Wyndham is the company that handles all of the defaults. Not Worldmark. The reason that it seems like they are doubling the amount owed on the repossessed points is because there are other costs Wyndham owed Worldmark on the contract that Wyndham is obligated to pay.

Bill

bikertrash2007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark Wyndham
WM claims the value is over $130,000

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
I've seen the prices go down to $0.15-0.20 per point on Ebay for larger contracts. That's why I haven't bought any resale points. Every year the MF have been going up and the resale prices have been going down.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200208-204938_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200208-204938_Chrome.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 61

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score

I don't know your tax lady, or how you handled the 2019 return, but here is an interesting article published by a well known Florida attorney. He mentions a number of IRS forms, and states a pretty good argument as to why the event should be non-taxable. However, he states more than once that he is not an accountant, and to do your own due diligence. Like the author states, it seems incredible that you can pay on a timeshare contract, loose the use of the timeshare - then be liable for forgiven debt. You ended up with nothing, and they resold your timeshare. Go figure........ :shrug:

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
If they do their accounting on an accrual basis, which is likely, they reported the sale as income when it took place. The mortgage income from the interest would be more income on an ongoing basis as it accrues, though for a different business unit. Once there is a default, they have to write it off, which the IRS would allow and use the loss to reduce the corporation’s taxes. When they do that, they have to point to who defaulted so that Uncle Sam doesn’t get stiffed. If they didn’t act this way, they wouldn’t be doing right by their shareholders like @Fredflintstone. Might be a good reason to follow his lead and just buy stock in Wyndham and vacation using the dividends instead of buying a TS. ;)

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for telling us your experience. It amazes me that people sign for a timeshare without doing their due dilligence. I bought my first one from the developer, so I'm guilty of this, too. Mine was $5000 but it was many years ago. Would we buy a car without doing some research first? I wanted to kick myself when I saw the same thing I owned, for $900 on ebay, now I don't know if I could give it away. I learned fast....I do own worldmark but I bought my 41,000 credits almost fully loaded for $5000, no closing costs. I bought my wyndham 230k points with last year's usage free and no closing costs for $1. You still have to know how much mfs you can afford, knowing they will increase every year.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they do their accounting on an accrual basis, which is likely, they reported the sale as income when it took place. The mortgage income from the interest would be more income on an ongoing basis as it accrues, though for a different business unit. Once there is a default, they have to write it off, which the IRS would allow and use the loss to reduce the corporation’s taxes. When they do that, they have to point to who defaulted so that Uncle Sam doesn’t get stiffed. If they didn’t act this way, they wouldn’t be doing right by their shareholders like @Fredflintstone. Might be a good reason to follow his lead and just buy stock in Wyndham and vacation using the dividends instead of buying a TS. ;)
Nows a good time to pickup some cheap shares.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for telling us your experience. It amazes me that people sign for a timeshare without doing their due dilligence. I bought my first one from the developer, so I'm guilty of this, too. Mine was $5000 but it was many years ago. Would we buy a car without doing some research first? I wanted to kick myself when I saw the same thing I owned, for $900 on ebay, now I don't know if I could give it away. I learned fast....I do own worldmark but I bought my 41,000 credits almost fully loaded for $5000, no closing costs. I bought my wyndham 230k points with last year's usage free and no closing costs for $1. You still have to know how much mfs you can afford, knowing they will increase every year.
Even if the purchase price is $0 I have found it cheaper to rent vs paying maintenance fees.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
@Grammarhero , I know you have been keeping track of defaults/credit bureau impact but I don’t see your name anywhere on this thread so notifying you just in case.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Even if the purchase price is $0 I have found it cheaper to rent vs paying maintenance fees.
That’s great renting works for you. Really good for last minute vacations. The places we want to go to (locations, size units, view, time of year) are almost never available, or rent for significantly higher than MF’s. That’s why we bought TS’s: to go where we want, when we want, in the unit size/view we want.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s great renting works for you. Really good for last minute vacations. The places we want to go to (locations, size units, view, time of year) are almost never available, or rent for significantly higher than MF’s. That’s why we bought TS’s: to go where we want, when we want, in the unit size/view we want.
I get the way it works for me may not work for all. Try to be open minded what works for you may not be cost effective for everyone. I just don't want the commitment of maintenance fees or being locked into one timeshare program. @Fredflintstone has another way to travel for less and it works for him.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I get the way it works for me may not work for all. Try to be open minded what works for you may not be cost effective for everyone. I just don't want the commitment of maintenance fees or being locked into one timeshare program. @Fredflintstone has another way to travel for less and it works for him.
Yes, I completely understand. Renting definitely works for some. For others, those who want to travel every year and need more certainty, TS’s are not only a more consistent method but also a more cost effective way to travel. Since this is a Timeshare forum, most here have weighed the options and decided owning is more beneficial to them. We enjoy prepaying our lodgings and planning our trips, knowing well in advance where/when we are going and what size/view our units are going to be.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

I just bought 5k for free all closing and transfer included

Some might note an internal inconsistency, but if it works for you....

When you're done with the 5k account and want to get rid of it, let me know. That would put me at an even 30K for the long term. Thanks!

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some might note an internal inconsistency, but if it works for you....

When you're done with the 5k account and want to get rid of it, let me know. That would put me at an even 30K for the long term. Thanks!
What do I have to lose? It was free with low maintenance fees. I figured why not see what World Mark has to offer. I will let you know if I sell it. I will use all credits for this year and next year before I get rid of it. It is a July use year.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What do I have to lose? It was free with low maintenance fees. I figured why not see what World Mark has to offer. I will let you know if I sell it. I will use all credits for this year and next year before I get rid of it. It is a July use year.
You are going to like it. Enjoy!

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are going to like it. Enjoy!
Thanks, I"m looking forward to seeing how it all works. Looks like the program is a little different then Wyndham's. What do you think WorldMark has to offer over Wyndham?