• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Deeded owner vs points?

FRG

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kona Coast 2
Hi guys! This forum is amazing! Thank you to everyone offering advice to those of us less knowledgeable.
I’m a deeded owner at Kona Coast resort to for the past 20+ years.My mom dad and I purchased in 1996 and I’m the only one left now. I finally gave into the pressure of trading in my deed for points at a Wyndham presentation AND bought more expensive points to bring me up to a bronze VIP status (20k). After reading TUGS I’m fairly certain I need to rescind my purchase and perhaps consider buying points off eBay if I still want to buy into the points program. Can someone give advice as to:
1. the differences between buying points off eBay vs from Wyndham directly and
2. the advantages of keeping my deed at KCR?
I really really truly appreciate any help you can offer!
Francesca

WManning

Reaction score
Rescind now before its to late. You can always buy up to VIP once you educate yourself on the Wyndham product.

WManning

Reaction score
Hi guys! This forum is amazing! Thank you to everyone offering advice to those of us less knowledgeable.
I’m a deeded owner at Kona Coast resort to for the past 20+ years.My mom dad and I purchased in 1996 and I’m the only one left now. I finally gave into the pressure of trading in my deed for points at a Wyndham presentation AND bought more expensive points to bring me up to a bronze VIP status (20k). After reading TUGS I’m fairly certain I need to rescind my purchase and perhaps consider buying points off eBay if I still want to buy into the points program. Can someone give advice as to:
Francesca

Some very helpfully info to rescind.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Deeds are usually gold. Points you can get cheap resale. Advantages depend on how you travel so it's hard to generalize + and -.

DaKats

Reaction score
Francesca
Hi FRG -
It’s hard to get real answers - I feel your pain!
I have bought and rescinded. They will tell you that it’s your only chance. However I have gotten the chance again. Shelvacations was purchased by Wyndham, and they really want all of the shell owners to move to Wyndham points.
As a deeded week owner, at KC only, it’s tough to decide what to do because it is attractive to think about being able to go somewhere else.
If you buy in Hawaii, remember you have 10 days to get out of the contract.

r4rab

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA Margaritaville(USVI)
Read your contract for the instructions on how to rescind and follow them (assuming you still are in the rescission period). Do your research and then make an informed decision on how to proceed.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind ASAP before it's to late and save yourself tens of thousands of dollars.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
You can get VIP Bronze anytime you want buy getting a cheap 3 bedroom PIC deed resale ($0) plus buying 49,000 Club Wyndham Access points ($8,000-$10,000). If you paid $20,000 then you paid about twice as much as you could have otherwise.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Francesca

First off, welcome to TUG! We're in the business of helping timeshare owners, and specifically Wyndham timeshare owners here on this forum, get the most bang for their bucket, and to openly share information on our interactions and experiences when dealing with Wyndham Destinations. We always recommend rescinding and then researching until you best understand how to move forward. If you're still within your rescission period - RESCIND TODAY! Here's an article worth reading - the first recommendation of which is to rescind now:

Once you have rescinded, here's a good article on the differences between Wyndham retail and resale points as you asked: https://wyndhamexperts.org/index.php/2019/07/27/retail-versus-resale-points/

Here's a few related articles worth reading as well since you asked about resale and eBay:

CWA vs Deeded Points: https://wyndhamexperts.org/index.php/2019/07/27/cwa-versus-deeded-points/
eBay Sellers - Research before you bid: https://wyndhamexperts.org/index.php/2019/08/03/ebay-sellers-research-before-you-bid/
Buying Points on the Resale Market: https://wyndhamexperts.org/index.php/2019/07/26/buying-points-on-the-resale-market/

Someone also mentioned the PIC program as a way to obtain VIP levels without spending an arm and a leg (if so desired):

Here's a decent article on whether timesharing, and in particular points based timesharing that you're considering, is worth considering:

Let us know if you have any questions moving forward - we are here to help in any way that we can! :D

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
the advantages of keeping my deed at KCR?
A couple of years ago, my dad added my sister and myself to his KCR deed and gave all his Wyndham ownerships to my brother. My sister is not interested in traveling, so I'm the de facto owner of the KCR deed, which is for 2 holiday season weeks (weeks 51-16). For now, I'm holding on to it, because we can deposit the weeks to RCI and get fair TPUs if we're not going to use them. I've rented one week for this coming December, to sort of test the waters there, and I've wavered back and forth about joining II and depositing a week there, to see what I could get for it. IOW, I feel I have multiple options for using those weeks.

I'm also concerned that if I traded the deed for Wyndham points, in addition to having the buy-in cost, the number of points I would receive might not be sufficient to book the week I can reserve now!

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
I'm also concerned that if I traded the deed for Wyndham points, in addition to having the buy-in cost, the number of points I would receive might not be sufficient to book the week I can reserve now!

AFAIK when converting a deeded week to points - the conversion is not subject to change - you look up the points value of the week you own on the points charts that Wyndham provides to everyone - and that amount of points is what you receive when converting to points. There's no mystery to it. You get exactly the amount of points that the week is assigned in the charts. That means that were you to attempt to reserve that week using points - it'll cost you exactly the amount of points that the week converts to - no more and no less. That said, I've never owned a Wyndham week firsthand - so I cannot speak from experience.

Lastly, Wyndham periodically offers incentives during certain time windows for legacy deeded week owners to convert their deeded weeks to points for a static price without having to make a developer purchase, or for a discounted developer purchase, it all depends on the incentive plan being offered. If the OP isn't in a hurry - and would rather own points as opposed to the deeded week and be able to use those points for other resorts in CWP - might be worth waiting for one of these incentive windows to open up and then make the conversion at that time. I'm sure another TUGGER with personal experience on these incentive based weeks to points conversions will come along with more details here on this thread.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
You get exactly the amount of points that the week is assigned in the charts. That means that were you to attempt to reserve that week using points - it'll cost you exactly the amount of points that the week converts to - no more and no less. That said, I've never owned a Wyndham week firsthand - so I cannot speak from experience.
This is exactly how my converted weeks work. Fixed weeks get the specific number of points of the underlying deed. Float weeks usually match 1-1 between the float periods and the point charts. I vaguely recall a situation in which a resort had float 1-52 weeks but a point chart that varied during the year, but am not certain about that.

Lastly, Wyndham periodically offers incentives during certain time windows for legacy deeded week owners to convert their deeded weeks to points for a static price without having to make a developer purchase, or for a discounted developer purchase, it all depends on the incentive plan being offered.
They even sometimes convert at no cost, but these are usually targeted to specific resorts.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
AFAIK when converting a deeded week to points - the conversion is not subject to change - you look up the points value of the week you own on the points charts that Wyndham provides to everyone - and that amount of points is what you receive when converting to points. There's no mystery to it. You get exactly the amount of points that the week is assigned in the charts. That means that were you to attempt to reserve that week using points - it'll cost you exactly the amount of points that the week converts to - no more and no less. That said, I've never owned a Wyndham week firsthand - so I cannot speak from experience.

Lastly, Wyndham periodically offers incentives during certain time windows for legacy deeded week owners to convert their deeded weeks to points for a static price without having to make a developer purchase, or for a discounted developer purchase, it all depends on the incentive plan being offered. If the OP isn't in a hurry - and would rather own points as opposed to the deeded week and be able to use those points for other resorts in CWP - might be worth waiting for one of these incentive windows to open up and then make the conversion at that time. I'm sure another TUGGER with personal experience on these incentive based weeks to points conversions will come along with more details here on this thread.
Thanks. I think that what I really wanted to say was that I didn’t believe I’d be able to book the weeks we have - every December we book weeks 51 and 52, 2 years in the future - if we wanted to use them ourselves.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Thanks. I think that what I really wanted to say was that I didn’t believe I’d be able to book the weeks we have - every December we book weeks 51 and 52, 2 years in the future - if we wanted to use them ourselves.
You would be able to book at 13 months, but if unconverted float owners are able to book 2 years out, you may be right - it's possible that those high-demand weeks might not be available at that point. The number of points (which you cited at first) shouldn't be an issue, as Hitchhiker explained.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)

IIRC if it's a fixed week points contract conversion - I believe you still have entitlement to reserve that fixed week prior to anyone else. Doing so would consume the points for that reservation of course - but point being you don't really ever "lose" the original fixed week based entitlement - you're simply converting that fixed week to points and essentially "trading" it into the points network for exchange if you choose not to use the fixed week itself. This is not dissimilar to PIC Plus week conversions - I can either choose to use my non-Wyndham timeshare week - or I can choose to exchange it into RCI and convert it to Wyndham points and forgo using that week. I'm not sure if this same benefit for float weeks converted contracts is available. I'm sure another TUGGER will provide firsthand experience on my assertions here.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
as another small bonus to this thread....this particular rescission has now put us over $19 Million total!