• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Deedback/Default are those my options?

justinj229

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen
Here is my situation.

I signed on to Bluegreen last June on a ton of false promises that I found out the hard way like a lot of people I'm sure. I signed up for a $7500 or so plan and I'm paid to 7000 in a year and have no vacation to show for so far. We were going to use it in May but that looks like it's going to be canceled with pandemic. We were not told about MF and the pricing of those and I now am finding out they are approx $700 a year. On top of that they told us we could go on a smaller plan package (8000 biennial) because they were offering a limited time UNLIMITED bonus nights and for $69 or $79 you can stay wherever you want whenever you want without using your points. Well of course I found out when I try to book those glorious so called bonus nights that you can only book 30 days in advance and we all know all the properties for the most part are booked by then. They also threw me some RCI stuff that I can't even make heads or tails over no clue what the perks are of that. Long story short is I have paid for a sampler package (before I became a member) then during sampler they got me to sign up the 8k points deal at $130 a month so I'm at approx $2400 right now with really no vacation to show for except the sampler package stay.

So now that I got that out the way someone mentioned FLA where I'm deeded has an anti deficiency law or something if I default? I'm sure it will have a credit impact but THE only other thing I can see is stop paying MF and not use the timeshare and pay the $7000 off which will put me around $10k total to BG and really getting no real vacation out o the deal. Sounds VERY one sided to me. I say all that to say sure I signed up for it but they definitely lied as well and paying 10k for no value is pretty much a terrible financial decision. Now of course I never in my life thought I would default on a loan but this is different. Am I missing something or are these the two routes? Would BG be willing to settle for less than full amount if I told them what the options were? Wouldn't it cost them to foreclose me? They've already taken me for a ride would they settle?

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bluegreen (and / or any other developer or "chain", for that matter) is not going to negotiate your previously accepted loan terms. Frankly, it's no skin off their nose if you decide to default and very little effort or expense is required on their part to foreclose on you in a non-judicial foreclose proceedings state like Florida. Additionally, BG will happily retain whatever amount of money you have already paid them to date, so in truth it will bother them not at all to just bid you a fond farewell if you choose to stop paying them.

A little preliminary research would have quickly revealed to you that all timeshares have maintenance fee obligations, so there is really no traction to be gained from indicating having had no prior awareness of that fact or not being overtly informed of same.

Whether you choose / want to accept the likelihood of a 7 years long credit score "hit" for defaulting on the loan balance is entirely a personal decision, as is whether to put that $7k loan balance into BlueGreen's pockets --- or just keep it in your own pockets instead. You are clearly between a rock and a hard place and facing difficult choices; I can only wish you good luck with your decision.

Last edited:

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Theo is right. You will receive calls from collectors. You can just ignore them and let destiny run it's course. Do not wage a verbal battle with Bluegreen. Just let it happen. It happens all the time. You can expect a report to the credit agencies and if you choose, you can write a letter to each and explain the circumstances. It may help, it may not. You went on an interview to get a free gift and you were in over your head. They lied, but the contract has a clause in it that says you didn't base your decision on what the salesman said. You based it on the terms of the contract. There was a rescission period, which is mentioned in the contract. You didn't read it so that is water over the dam. Just move on and learn from this experience.