• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Death at Shipwreck Beach

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The area mentioned is one of our favorite spots in the Islands.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I was hiking on that cliff with my grandkids yesterday, but didn't find out about the accident until today. There's a warning sign, but many go past it. Several places along the shoreline are undercut, but you can't see that from the top of the cliff.

Here's the place where she fell. In this picture, several people are past the warning sign.
2020-02-09%2015-49-46-X4.jpg

Here's why I kept telling my grandson that he had to stay away from the edge.
2020-02-13%2009-38-16-X4.jpg

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I was hiking on that cliff with my grandkids yesterday, but didn't find out about the accident until today. There's a warning sign, but many go past it. Several places along the shoreline are undercut, but you can't see that from the top of the cliff.

Here's the place where she fell. In this picture, several people are past the warning sign.
2020-02-09%2015-49-46-X4.jpg
One of my sons (39 years old) dives from the top of that cliff.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
People that go to the right side of this cliff don't realize that it could collapse at any time. If anyone slips here, they don't stand much chance of surviving on the waves and rocks.

2020-02-15%2016-18-16-X4.jpg

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Most people jump not dive.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's two photos that I took a few years ago.

Poipu2b-17.jpg

My wife not backing up for a selfie.
Poipu8Sandi.jpg

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I feel so sorry for her family. My husband and I hike every week, and it is usually the primary activity of almost every trip that we take. There are places that we hike where a slip could lead to some serious trouble. Stuff happens when you are outside. I will say this, the most puzzling behavior that I see every single time we hike is inappropriate footwear, and I would say that hiking in Hawaii usually takes the cake. I have seen flip flops and platform sandals on the Kalalau trail! Usually I just see folks in street shoes that aren't too helpful on rocky or muddy trails. I also see folks who look like they haven't hiked a day in their life on the trails. Again, stuff happens when you are outside but I hate to see any hike end this way. By the way, I am not even speculating that poor footwear or judgement caused her fall. The article said that she slipped. It does not say that she was doing anything stupid like going past the sign or taking a selfie or wearing flip flops (she could have been doing something that caused the fall but we don't know) just that she slipped. I am going to assume that it was just a terrible accident.

FunnyFarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point @ Poipu, Lawai Beach Resort, MROP/VRI, Worldmark
I hike up there every morning I am at Poipu, I also lived on Kauai prior to the Point being built and went to that cliff area in the early 80's.
Never jumped off even when I was 23 and healthy.
Looked like a risky deal.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Saw another couple today going way past the warning sign.

2020-02-23%2013-33-18-X4.jpg