• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DC area??

maggiesmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter would like to visit the DC area with friends, and I thought I would buy her a getaway close to the DC area, but I have never been there. Which resort should I check out,I don't think they will have a car. I know that my daughter was talking about taking the train into the area from where ever they stay at or a bus. This would be for 4 adults in their party.TIA

maggiesmom

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham Old Town Alexandria...1 block from the Metro on King Street. Once you get there, you won't need a car. We own there and love it!

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are really only two choices..Old Town Alexandria, and National harbor...Both are Wyndham properties

Old town would me your first choice, as its right on the Metro..She could take the train into Union Station and the Metro direct to Alexandria

National Harbor is a super place, but some what isolated if you dont have a car. Its not impossible. There is a bus to a Metro Station. or the water taxi (expensive) across the river and get the Metro there

Talking about expensive..The restaurants and shops at National Harboe are expensive

There are other threads here on TUG that discuss these two timeshares and still others that discuss timeshares bu train...enjoy

Last edited:

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the Timeshare coverage of DC...From checking google maps it looks like National Harbor and Old Town Alexandra are both about 30 minutes away from the city...

My mother really wants to get away to DC for a weekend to see the Cherry Blossoms, but living 3 hours away, i can't convince her that staying 30 minutes away is 'close enough'

Dad travels to DC for work atleast once a month and is not a fan of the metro...

I don't know if it's just my parents who are a Pain in the butt, or if this is how the 'common man' sees it

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we go to Alexandria, it seems that we most often take the Metro
to the Smithsonian stop. We've timed it, and we can usually leave our unit, walk the block to the King street metro, hop on, and arrive at Smithsonian in 20-25 minutes. I don't mind the metro at all, it beats driving in a big city as far as I'm concerned. (But I live in no-traffic small town NC, so I'm a wimp! )
We're heading there for our usual Cherry Blossom Festival week at the
end of the month. Can't wait :cheer:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the Timeshare coverage of DC...From checking google maps it looks like National Harbor and Old Town Alexandra are both about 30 minutes away from the city...

My mother really wants to get away to DC for a weekend to see the Cherry Blossoms, but living 3 hours away, i can't convince her that staying 30 minutes away is 'close enough'

Dad travels to DC for work atleast once a month and is not a fan of the metro...

I don't know if it's just my parents who are a Pain in the butt, or if this is how the 'common man' sees it

In sure there are exceptions and reasons to stay in DC, but you wont find accommodations like those two timeshares inside the beltway without paying an arm and a leg...I went to high school 9 blocks from the Capital (before Metro, and lived in the Maryland suburbs (before the beltway). driving into town each day or taking the public bus. The metro is a godsend for tourists and commuters.

I rode it every day for several years.....its one of the best transit systems in the country...Ride, I think its your parents

Last edited:

dogwood7

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Old Town Alexandria this summer. It was our first trip to DC. We really enjoyed staying there. As stated above, the metro station is right across the street. We didn't use our car at all while we were on our trip. Every night we walked around old town. There are great places to eat. There is also a supermarket right up the street. We always felt safe and there were lots of people around.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
You cannot beat the Old Town Alexandria location and convenience! I agree that it's a shame there are not more centrally located timeshares that are on or very near the Metro. When I first saw the map of where they were building National Harbor all I could think, as someone who grew up in the DC Metro area was "Who in the heck would want to stay over there?!?!"

maggiesmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
DC Area

Is Old Town Alexandria exchange/getaways with RCI or II.
I only belong to II. Is there another exchange company out there that would do the exchange/getaway.

maggiesmom

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Is Old Town Alexandria exchange/getaways with RCI or II.
I only belong to II. Is there another exchange company out there that would do the exchange/getaway.

maggiesmom

We ended up renting from an owner a few years back as we coudn't get an exchange. We were trying for the exchange with RCI. It doesn't look like they exchange through II.

Last edited:

sandkastle4966

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
you wont find prime time alexandria in RCI - it is booked up by owners right after the 10 month mark.... you will need to rent

maggiesmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
DC area

I just saw on SFX that they would exchange into Old Town Alexandria :cheer: . Has anyone used them to get into this resort with a SDO exchange??. Please let me know.

robcrusoe

Banned
Reaction score

You can't do any better than OTA! If you're on the METRO - you're there!

robcrusoe

Banned
Reaction score
I just saw on SFX that they would exchange into Old Town Alexandria :cheer: . Has anyone used them to get into this resort with a SDO exchange??. Please let me know.
Just because they say they get it, doesn't mean they can or will get it for you. There's a lot to learn, put down the pom poms and read the boards! :p

maggiesmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
DC area

Thank you all for your help. I'll give her the information and leave it up to her.

maggiesmom

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score

I own OTA and do not ask how many times SFX has called me(they also pester for my *wood ski week too).

We are going to OTA in a few weeks for spring break.

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I must confess, I always book my week at Alexandria during the ARP period and I always use it. If other owners are like me, there's probably not a lot
of available inventory out there for exchange...

sun&fun

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It might be worth joining Redweek to check out the rentals for Wyndham OT Alexandria.