• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Day trips (island hopping) to other islands from Honolulu

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Some friends of ours were staying on Oahu and took a day flight to visit us on Kauai. They took an early flight, I picked them up and the airport, and gave them a whirlwind tour of Kauai. First we stopped at our timeshare in Poipu for breakfast. Stopped by Poipu Beach Park and Spouting Horn. Drove to Opaeka‘a Falls. We went to Keālia Beach and ate the lunch we had packed in one of the small pavilions. Next stop, Hanalei Beach Park. Came back to Lihue, did some shopping at Hilo Hattie's, and got them to the airport in plenty of time for their flight back to Oahu. It was a very long day for them, but they loved every minute.

Here's where we had lunch.
2018-02-07%2012-50-43-X4.jpg

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
On our first trip to Hawaii, we flew from Honolulu to the Big Island to visit the Volcano Park - it was very doable. Little did we know that we would be buying a timeshare on Maui, and going back to Hawaii nearly every year. I would not make a special trip to see the road to Hana.
We did the exact same thing on our first trip to Hawaii in 2007. We did it because when we planned that trip we had no thoughts of ever coming back to Hawaii. AS IT TURNED OUT THAT WAS VERY WRONG THINKING. We have spend over 1000 nights in timeshares in Hawaii since then and now live there and island hop all the time for weeks at a time. Looking back I would never island hop for 1 day.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I agree, but hard to do all of that on a there and back trip. Hard to do all of that on an overnight trip, even. And don't forget the Manago Hotel in Capt. Cook. The food there is awesome.

The kitchen is only open three days a week now that the hotel has closed.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I'm heading back to Ko Olina in early December. What is everyone's thoughts on taking a day or two and seeing another island. Basically I'm talking about flying to another island and back on the same day. I know! I know! A long day. Is there anything you would recommend? Volcanos National Park, Road to Hana, whatever really. What's feasible and has anyone tried it? How'd it work out?

Every time I have visitors, they want to see the volcano. We wake up at midnight and drive from Kona so they can at least see the glow of the crater (the park is open 24 hours). Then I take them home by way of Punalu'u and the southernmost point.

So far, every guest has said they have been more impressed with the southernmost point than the volcano.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love Volcano National Park, but not for a short stop to see a volcano. It is a nice park to hike in, go through a lava tube, and maybe drive down the Chain of Craters road exploring various craters and fissures along the way. I think a short stop and go back visit won't let you really appreciate the park. The last time I visited, you couldn't get close enough to the crater to see much during the day. The glow at night was nice after a day spent exploring various other aspects of the area, but for me would not be worth a trip all on its own. I prefer to spend a night or two in the town of Volcano.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
The kitchen is only open three days a week now that the hotel has closed.
Good info thanks, important to check on that as part of trip planning because, for me, eating in that dining room takes me back literally decades.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
My brother in law did the opposite day trip from BI to Oahu. He wanted to visit Pearl Harbor. He used a tour company that picked him up at the airport and returned him there after a full day sightseeing various places. It helped because the tour company secured the Pearl Harbor shuttle reservations, which book up quickly. He used SWA for interisland flights.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
What about The Pride of America cruise ship? Is this an option to visit the difference islands?

We cruised on the NCL Pride of America with my inlaws. I rented a car on every Island stop and we did see many attractions. It's a great way to get a feel for Hawaii, imo.

Bill

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 16 wks; Maui Schooner, 1 EOY Wk; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
My brother in law did the opposite day trip from BI to Oahu. He wanted to visit Pearl Harbor. He used a tour company that picked him up at the airport and returned him there after a full day sightseeing various places. It helped because the tour company secured the Pearl Harbor shuttle reservations, which book up quickly. He used SWA for interisland flights.
Our friends did this from Kauai one year. They didn't know if they would return to Hawaii. They have since come back a few times. They enjoyed the day trip.

The trip included some time in Waikiki. They don't like big cities so they just sat by the pickup spot for a couple hours.😀

That was probably 10 years ago and I think it was about $350 each. They did say it was a long day though.

Yzfguy06

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Crane, Borgo alle Vigne x2
I will be with the masses and say it's not worth it imo...

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Every time I have visitors, they want to see the volcano. We wake up at midnight and drive from Kona so they can at least see the glow of the crater (the park is open 24 hours). Then I take them home by way of Punalu'u and the southernmost point.

So far, every guest has said they have been more impressed with the southernmost point than the volcano.
Why wake up at midnight? You can see the glow as soon as it gets dark.

cowboy

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you go via saddle road from Kona. Do you find that closer?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Get there at 4am-ish, see the glow. See the sun rise. Go home via Punalu'u and South Point. Works much better that way.
Getting up in the middle of the night is never the answer for me. :D I am a crabby patty the following day.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Getting up in the middle of the night is never the answer for me. :D I am a crabby patty the following day.

How dare you insult all the Pattys out there, both men and women, with that awful remark???? I know a Patty who is never crabby! Harumph!
:rolleyes:

(It's a shame they don't have a "clutching pearls" emoji. And animated gifs aren't allowed here. I just tried.)

But seriously, I hear ya. And I don't know how many more trips I have to the volcano until it becomes like the Grand Canyon. I put a moratorium on that. I ain't taking visitors to see the Grand Canyon. Specifically, I ain't driving five hours so that friends/relatives can look at the canyon for 15 minutes, and then say they want to drive back to Las Vegas. That movie was no good the first time. And I saw too many sequels. (Much like Police Academy.)

Ideally, I'd like to do the volcano trip so that 1) crater at night and 2) in Hilo at a reasonable time for the best bowl of ramen soup outside of Japan. I can't find a way to make the timetable line up without spending a night in Hilo.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Ideally, I'd like to do the volcano trip so that 1) crater at night and 2) in Hilo at a reasonable time for the best bowl of ramen soup outside of Japan. I can't find a way to make the timetable line up without spending a night in Hilo.
Spend a night at Volcano House? In a crater-rim room? I guess that’s the same as spending a night in Hilo.

We got to do that once several years ago, when Halemaumau was just starting to fire up. I have multiple photos of the glow, taken from our room. I had to force myself to go to sleep - we could see it from our bed!

frytard

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Since you own MVC just trade and do a week on an island every year. Or if you have a lock off then twice a year.

I don’t believe in day trips personally as I don’t like to be rushed.

With that said if it fits your personality I believe Waimea canyon on Kauai is doable, Haleakala with reservation to see sunset. I prefer sunrise but you’d have to get a late flight and basically sleep in the car u til you drive up.

I don’t think volcano is doable if you like to do hiking,

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
We've made 5 day trips to Oahu in the past 3 months. Not that big a deal. Get TSA Precheck. First flight out and next to the last flight back.
Have specific agenda planned out and have a nice visit

TravelJoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify as to the why, I don't have the time to do two weeks. I'm still working and only get a limited amount of vacation. Also being a weeks owner at Ko Olina, I don't have any points, that might make island hopping slower.
It's doable. The only island I have not visited is Maui. Oahu, Kauai and BI we were on for 7d each. While it was a nice trip and each Island has something unique to offer, I felt there are only truly 2-3 main items that are worthy and can easily be squeezed in as a day trip without being rushed, of course depending on your health.

Kauai...such a small island if you arrive at the airport early morning you can do all these in a day with a car as they are all along the same route in that order below.

Helicopter tour
Waimea Canyon look out points
Queens Bath
Hanalei Bay

BI..you can fly into one airport depart other with one way car rental

Volcano park
Captain Cook snorkeling
Atop Mauna Kea Sunrise/Sunset/night star gazing, you will need a 4wd vehicle to visit the top to the observatories

Oahu
Waikiki area
Diamondhead hike
Manoa falls

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
It's doable. The only island I have not visited is Maui. Oahu, Kauai and BI we were on for 7d each. While it was a nice trip and each Island has something unique to offer, I felt there are only truly 2-3 main items that are worthy and can easily be squeezed in as a day trip without being rushed, of course depending on your health.

Kauai...such a small island if you arrive at the airport early morning you can do all these in a day with a car as they are all along the same route in that order below.

Helicopter tour
Waimea Canyon look out points
Queens Bath
Hanalei Bay

BI..you can fly into one airport depart other with one way car rental

Volcano park
Captain Cook snorkeling
Atop Mauna Kea Sunrise/Sunset/night star gazing, you will need a 4wd vehicle to visit the top to the observatories

Oahu
Waikiki area
Diamondhead hike
Manoa falls
These itineraries may be doable, but they remind me of an acquaintance who took a fast-paced group tour which included Paris.

When I asked him if he had visited the Louvre, his reply was along the lines of "yes, but we didn't have time to go inside".

TravelJoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
These itineraries may be doable, but they remind me of an acquaintance who took a fast-paced group tour which included Paris.

When I asked him if he had visited the Louvre, his reply was along the lines of "yes, but we didn't have time to go inside".
Apples to oranges imo. We ran out of things to do and chose to repeat exactly all of the above on the last day easily before departing.