• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Day passes at Hilton Head

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this has been answered before but I cannot recall what the answer is. My husband and I are considering retiring at Sun City in Bluffton. We own a gold week at Barony and Grande Ocean. Can we get day passes for the pool and beach during the summer months ? What is the policy?

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can. My understanding is that you must stop at the Welcome Center each day to get a pass.

However, the expert is Janette, who has beat you to it. She already lives in Sun City and owns at Grande Ocean and Barony. I'll ask her to stop by here....

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Gee, maybe if we can get enough Tuggers to retire to Sun City, Bluffton, we can form a local chapter of TUG. I'm seriously considering retiring here and I know there are some other Tuggers who have expressed the same thought. I'm looking forward to actually seeing Sun City in person very soon.

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pat, My husband and I have already purchased a home at Sun City, which will be ready for occupancy sometime in Dec. We had lunch and a great visit with Janette & Tom last Saturday, toured their home and the Sun City area with them. They are great people and I can't wait to move there and get to know them better...if you have any questions we might be able to answer, don't hesitate to ask. It would be great to add a timeshare group to all the other groups they already have established at Sun City. We own at Harbour Club so no such luck about a day pass without paying the $5 fee to get into Sea Pines. Janette said they thought they would use the pass for Barony and Grande Ocean a lot but find they are so busy at Sun City that they don't have as much time to beach as they had anticipated. Linda

Last edited:

KenK

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If enough owners at Sun City, there could be a TUG CLUB ROOM!

I just love the thought of those electric, street legal, (but not highway) golf carts going across to the Wal-Mart or Publix.....

Just think of the gas you don't have to use (or BUY):) And the cart gets you everywhere on all the Sun City villages.... I wonder if it can get to the Parris Island Commissary?)

Elden12

Reaction score
We were at SurfWatch last week and got a day pass to go to Grande Ocean. Stopped at the Welcome Center but they referred us to Grande Ocean. We went to the desk by the indoor pool at Grande Ocean and they gave us the parking pass and the day pass. Didn't try Barony but I suspect you can go to Barony and get a day pass.

DannyMc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Royal Palms, Orlando; Marriott's Grande Ocean, HHI; Marriott's Barony Beach Club, HHI;
MVC Trust Points
Dave M said:
Yes, you can. My understanding is that you must stop at the Welcome Center each day to get a pass.

For Grande Ocean, you go to the Ocean Spa at GO to get the pass. We were at Harbour Point for the July 4th week and got a pass to GO for the entire week. We went down several days and used the pools, beach, and of course visited Pool Bar Jim's. We were back for 5 days at the first of August staying at the Hilton hotel and again got a pass to GO for all the days we were there. We just requested the pass through our last day on the island. They give you a card for your wallet and a parking pass which is good for the resort grounds, but not under the buildings.

toni3063

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Barony but stayed at Sunset Point July 05. We went to Barony 4 times and never did get a day pass. Most of the guards let us through with our Sunset Point parking pass... one wouldn't and we only had to show her our owners card to get through.

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Hubby and I are headed to Hilton Head on 9/8. Since we will only be there two nights we are using points to stay at the Marriott Hotel. We have a appt. with a real estate agent on Sat to tour Sun CIty so we might be residents there soon too

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
KathyPet, Why are you going to Sun City with a Real Estate agent? They have their own salespeople who can explain everything, drop you off at the models to look at at your leisure and no need to go back and talk to them if you aren't interested. Would be interested in why you are using an r.e. agent. Linda

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
KCI said:
Pat, My husband and I have already purchased a home at Sun City, which will be ready for occupancy sometime in Dec. We had lunch and a great visit with Janette & Tom last Saturday, toured their home and the Sun City area with them. They are great people and I can't wait to move there and get to know them better...if you have any questions we might be able to answer, don't hesitate to ask. It would be great to add a timeshare group to all the other groups they already have established at Sun City. We own at Harbour Club so no such luck about a day pass without paying the $5 fee to get into Sea Pines. Janette said they thought they would use the pass for Barony and Grande Ocean a lot but find they are so busy at Sun City that they don't have as much time to beach as they had anticipated. Linda

Linda, which model did you purchase?

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Going to Sun City with your own agent is a good idea. It doesn't cost you a cent more than going without one, and if you tour the first time without one, you can't change your mind and use an agent later.

Sure, Del Webb/Pulte has agents on staff to sell you a house. They are Seller's Agents. Your own agent would be a Buyer's Agent, who would look after your interests.

Many people who purchase Sun City homes don't use a Buyer's Agent.

As for the "day pass" issue, if Sun City Hilton Head is anything like Anthem, I don't know why you'd even want to leave and go somewhere else for your recreation. There should be plenty of amenities and activities on site. That's the whole idea of Sun City :)

Beverley

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Barony and stayed last year at Harbor Club and at Harbor Point. We were able to get a day pas for a month which covered our entire stay. You do not have to go every day.

Bev

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are using a agent because we are also interested in looking at two Builder Spec houses in the Riverbend section of Sun City. Riverbend is a part of Sun City (You have all the amenities etc,) but at Riverbend people bought individual lots and then could bring their own builder in to build whatever they wanted for a house. The lots are quite large and every home is different. The only way to get into see what is on the market at Riverbend is through a agent.

I wanted to ask about the day pases because while Sun City has all the amenities you could want they don't have the ocean and I like to be able to go to the beach for a swim

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! I'm out of town for a long weekend and everyone is moving to Sun City. Yes, we get day passes for Grand Ocean and Barony. They issue them to local owners for the month. We were so happy to meet Linda and Bob a couple of weekends ago and look forward to their being neighbors in Sun City. We do not go to the beach as often as we had anticipated because we had no idea of how much fun we would have in Sun City. We live six houses down from the new clubhouse and pool. If you haven't met with a salesperson yet, please give our name as references as we were told that $500 would be donated to our favorite charity if we refer someone who buys. It has to be done before your initial visit with a salesperson and even then we aren't sure that it happens. We would just like to see money going to charities. E-mail me with any questions you have about Sun City. Prices are going up, sales are booming and good lots are going bye bye. This is a wonderful life style!! (The only problem is that we don't want to travel with our timeshares.)

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Janette, Glad to see your back home again. Understand you are off to Athens to see you m-i-l in a few days. Will Athens be affected by Katrina? Been sitting here today watching the news, remembering when we got hammered last year. Fortunately we didn't have the flooding that is happening this storm. We were in Montgomery, AL when Camille hit years ago and I can still remember the wind and rain from that storm.
We really enjoyed our visit...sent you a card with a note....can't wait to get another exchange into HHI so we can come back. Leave for Marco Island on Sept 10 and then Palm Beach Shores on Oct 14....unless mother nature has other plans for us or those areas. Thanks again for your wonderful hospitality and we will keep in touch. Linda

nezruss

Reaction score
New to this group-but so glad to find you!

I am interested in the Day Pass concept. Is this only for local residents or can you be an MVCI owner visiting the area and get a day pass? We will be in HH in Aug. staying at a DVC resort and I would love to visit some of the MVCI resorts for a day.

What is the min. age to purchase Sun City?
Is it different than the age to actually live at Sun City?
What I mean is, if the min. age to live is 55, can I buy when I am 45 and not move in until I am ready to retire?

ruthjayne

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at Barony Beach last summer and went on the tour at Surf Watch. The salesman just told us to bring the kids and spend the day down at the beach and pool. It's nowhere near complete, so alot less crowded. Their pool and facilities at the beach are unbelievable!! They have private cabanas, a huge bar & a horizon pool just steps from the beach. They said they have built closer to the beach than anyone and they had to jump through many hoops to do it. (So, he says...) Of course you can charge you drinks to your other Marriott room on HH. The bartender said he could charge it to ANY Marriott. (My brother was spending the same week in Williamsburg and I thought about trying to get his room #....)

Ruth

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Answer to Nezruss Sun City Question

One of the owning parties must be 55 to live in Sun City. So if the wife is say 56 but the husband is say 27 after I say "You go Girl" then they could buy in Sun City. There are really two different parts of Sun City. The vast majority of homes are in the main Sun City which is on the right as you head down 287 towards HH. In that area you pick a lot and a home model from the various model homes and Del Webb builds it for you with the options you selected. I am 95% sure that you cannot just buy a lot and delay building. If you were less than 55 you can't even purchase a lot. You buy the package deal and they start building right away. The other part of the community is called Riverbend. It is on the other side of 287 from the main Sun city and connected with the aforementioned bridge that you can take the golf cart over. Riverbend owners pay Sun City HO dues and have use of all the facilities etc. however in Riverbend you can purchase a lot of which there are a few left. You then contract with a local builder to build you a custom home that you can have designed yourself or use a stock plan from the builder. You have to be 55 to buy the lot but then you can delay building for as long as you like. There are also some custom built resale homes for sale in Riverbend just like there are resales in SUn City.

KenK

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Only certain timeshares (including certain Marriotts) have Day Pass use. I believe its OK'd by the HOA.

But in order to get the Day Pass, you USUALLY need to be an owner of that resort. (ie- if you own at Barony, you will get a pass there....but not a pass to Grand Ocean). And some Marriotts do not allow day pass at all, others, may allow one day and not the next.