• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DaveNW- Say it Ain't True- Costco Drops Polish Sausages from Menu [2018]

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I have to admit I love the free samples. It is the only time I get to eat most of that stuff as Patti does not allow it in the door. I just finished my at Home afternoon snack - 4 sticks of celery. The Sample Ladies know me so well that if Patti is shopping by herself that ask what happened to Tom. I also loved the Polish. If we decide to eat lunch at Costco we do that first before we shop. We do this for 2 reasons: 1. We don't have to worry about stashing a full Cart while we eat; and 2. It cuts down on impulse food buys if you have a full tummy.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Great minds thinking alike. I have a hard enough time finding the stuff I come in for. They keep moving it so I have to change my traffic pattern and invariably see new stuff.

Some things stay in the same general area, but they may shift around on the shelf a bit. And a lot of product placement has to do with merchandising what is available. As things sell out, they backfill with what they DO have. (Ever notice they never have empty space on the shelves? That's deliberate.) The stockers who come in at something like 3AM have a map they are given to locate certain items in certain places. Ever notice the items most likely to be sold for the upcoming holiday will be placed along the fence inside the door, so you walk past it as you go in the warehouse? It's also not an accident. They have Merchandising Managers at Costco, whose job is to locate the right stuff in the right place.

Aren't you glad I started this thread?- and even immortalized you in the title. :)

Thanks, I think. ;) I appreciate the shout-out, but sometimes it's a bit weird seeing my name over and over. :) And it's not like I get a single dime from all my Costco promotion. We don't even get a discount. The one perk is a free Executive membership for the two of us. Everything else is retail. <sigh> So I guess I did drink the Kool-Aid all those years ago. I first joined Price Club in 1982, and I've followed along through Price-Costco, and Costco ever since. I won't dare to even try and calculate how many of my hard-earned dollars have been spent there since - in $100 increments. LOL!

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
And Dave, WHAT does Costco sell that would even fit in a small hand-carry basket??????

Wristwatches, jewelry, 24-pack of eggs, clothing, books, lots of the HABA items. If you HAD to, you'd find a way to stuff it in a basket. Oh, ok. Who am I kidding? Grab a cart. Better yet, get a flatbed. ;)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Yeah, I know WHY they do it the way they do. But they can't/don't assimilate data on those that stay away because it takes an hour to get 6 items.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

But you buying 6 items translates to someone else buying 60. And chances are, that person/family also had a bunch of samples during their visit. They might even have a hot dog from the Food Court. The best way to avoid the crowds is to not set foot near the place on a weekend. Go around 6:00 PM on a weeknight and the place will likely be deserted.

Costco was, and remains, a volume store. It's about selling in quantity. That's also why they don't have Express Lanes at the checkout. They WANT you to stand in line, so you make your shopping trip worthwhile. (More or less - it's not that mercenary.) But it's all part of the plan.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I have to admit I love the free samples. It is the only time I get to eat most of that stuff as Patti does not allow it in the door. I just finished my at Home afternoon snack - 4 sticks of celery. The Sample Ladies know me so well that if Patti is shopping by herself that ask what happened to Tom. I also loved the Polish. If we decide to eat lunch at Costco we do that first before we shop. We do this for 2 reasons: 1. We don't have to worry about stashing a full Cart while we eat; and 2. It cuts down on impulse food buys if you have a full tummy.

And remember, they still sell packages of the Polish dogs at Costco. You can have your fix before you come to the warehouse. :thumbup:

Dave

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
I asked for the $1.50 sausage at my local Costco in Canada last week, and realized after a bite it was the hot dog. Didn't take it back, but I wonder if it's dropped from the menue here as well. Didn't Consumer reports rate it the best hot dog out there earlier this year?
Our Costco in Toronto still sells the Polish sausage for $1.50.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
From my understanding, the people hawking the free samples are not even Costco employees but rather employees of out outsourced contracted firm that they use to hawk the samples.

Yes, that's right. I knew someone (a nurse anesthetist) who retired and then took a job with this company. I used to run into her at my local Coscto when I went in to get "treats" and do some shopping. (My wife refers to the samples at Costco as "treats.") Anyway, she said her job offering samples at Costco was great fun.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I agree. The ABC Stores have some surprisingly good sushi. Somewhat a surprise is our grocery store sushi. A slender Samoan named Sandy is the sushi chef at this store. She seems to enjoy sorting out sushi stuff.

Bill

Alliteration man!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I prefer when the samples are near the item they are hawking- or at least have a stash convenient to grab. That has to increase the impulse sales. If I have to go searching all over the warehouse for something I've sampled, I'm likely to think better of it. This probably accounts for me (and most other people) going into Costco for 2 or 3 items and cashing out a cart full and a couple hundred dollars later.

They know our habits.
The issue is that non-food sampler folks like me steer clear of where the crowd or samples are, which make us miss seeing all the items near them. It is negative marketing for me. My husband who can only stand to be in large stores and crowd for about 15 minutes, it gets doubly stressful for us which we usually end up not getting all the things which we go to Costco for. He wants to get out and we get out.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The issue is that non-food sampler folks like me steer clear of where the crowd or samples are, which make us miss seeing all the items near them. It is negative marketing for me. My husband who can only stand to be in large stores and crowd for about 15 minutes, it gets doubly stressful for us which we usually end up not getting all the things which we go to Costco for. He wants to get out and we get out.
You are NOT their target audience. So go there in about the last hour before closing time. The crowd thins and the sample servers have closed and left. This is your golden hour.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, but I mostly don't have time to play their game. I have a life that doesn't include spending hours in Costco. Like I said, they don't have data for those of us that stay away.
But you buying 6 items translates to someone else buying 60. And chances are, that person/family also had a bunch of samples during their visit. They might even have a hot dog from the Food Court. The best way to avoid the crowds is to not set foot near the place on a weekend. Go around 6:00 PM on a weeknight and the place will likely be deserted.

Costco was, and remains, a volume store. It's about selling in quantity. That's also why they don't have Express Lanes at the checkout. They WANT you to stand in line, so you make your shopping trip worthwhile. (More or less - it's not that mercenary.) But it's all part of the plan.

Dave

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Now that we are retired we try to do most of our shopping (Costco or otherwise) midweek/midday.

If you really want to visit a Hugh Costco go to Salt Lake City. I think it is the largest Costco anywhere. Whole Pigs, half of Beef, whole Goose, etc in the Refrigerator section.

They are about to building a new Costco here in Salem Oregon. It will be a replacement not an addition. It is suppose to be 50% or bigger than our current Costco.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Now that we are retired we try to do most of our shopping (Costco or otherwise) midweek/midday.

If you really want to visit a Hugh Costco go to Salt Lake City. I think it is the largest Costco anywhere. Whole Pigs, half of Beef, whole Goose, etc in the Refrigerator section.

They are about to building a new Costco here in Salem Oregon. It will be a replacement not an addition. It is suppose to be 50% or bigger than our current Costco.

They sell whole pigs at Hawaii Costco's. It never occurred to me, those luau pigs have to come from somewhere! :)

pig pic.jpg

Dave

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you really want to visit a Hugh Costco go to Salt Lake City. I think it is the largest Costco anywhere. Whole Pigs, half of Beef, whole Goose, etc in the Refrigerator section
You have to understand that in SLC, a starter home has 6 bedrooms and the 'mommy mobile' is a Suburban.

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You have to understand that in SLC, a starter home has 6 bedrooms and the 'mommy mobile' is a Suburban.

Jim

I'll bet the lines at those Costco sample tables are REALLY long! ;)

Dave

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We used to shop alot more at Costco when it was the closest grocery option for where we lived and there was never a crowd or carpark issue. Now we go once a month at most, parking is a nightmare and the store is always packed. We don't go in the evening as we old people eat and sleep early. :) We also have many other grocery store options nearer to us.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Ever wonder why they don't have hand-carry baskets?
They have plenty of hand-carry "baskets" ... called BOXES. I often grab a box rather than a cart. Sure, I get a few odd looks while I'm lugging my box around ... but it helps keep me focused on my needs and keeps me from wasting time.

Try one. There are tons of boxes everywhere in those stores ... :D

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
They have plenty of hand-carry "baskets" ... called BOXES. I often grab a box rather than a cart. Sure, I get a few odd looks while I'm lugging my box around ... but it helps keep me focused on my needs and keeps me from wasting time.

Try one. There are tons of boxes everywhere in those stores ... :D

But boxes don't have HANDLES. ;)

Dave

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But boxes don't have HANDLES. ;)

Dave
Some do ... my favorites are the banana boxes (#1 choice!) or the apple boxes. Both have handles on the sides.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Some do ... my favorites are the banana boxes (#1 choice!) or the apple boxes. Both have handles on the sides.

Ok, now you're just being practical. :D

I always grab a cart, even if I'm not planning on buying anything. It gives me something to hang onto, and I can deflect stray children and other shopping carts. :)

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
A lot of times we walk every aisle. It is one way to get your steps done for the day.