• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DaveNV: Making a Home in the Desert

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have no handles on your cabinets? That would make me insane!
My mom's house was the same way-when they remodeled a few years ago she installed the hardware-really does make a difference but you get used to not having them
You'd think at some point over twelve years, the previous owners would have installed hardware, but nope.
ummm me?? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Designers say that door handles and drawer pulls are the "jewelry" of the kitchen.
Yes-which is why I am having a hard time deciding-what if it's wrong lol!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
So sorry to hear about this. If she's hesitant to put her leg down, she may have a pinched nerve kind of thing happening. Sounds like it hurts. Time to see her Vet.

Yes, I've made the decision that these two dogs are the last I'll have. I'm only 67, and I figure I have maybe 15 good years left. I want the freedom to travel without worry, and having pets really adds to the stress. When you have an animal that can't go with you, a weekend trip away doesn't happen. So this will be it for furry kids, I'm afraid.

Jeff is more the cat person than I am, and he is always jonesing for another cat. We currently have just the one, which is a surprise, but is probably because of the two dogs. Once the dogs are gone, I fully expect Jeff to drag home more cats. As long as I don't have to clean the litterbox, I'm fine with that. :D

Dave

Olive saw the vet surgeon today and has a torn ligament. She has to have either a “TPLO” surgical procedure or “Extracapsular Stifle Repair” surgery next week. I’ll have to Google those as I don’t remember all his explanation. I recall that the TPLO involves reshaping the top of the tibia bone. The hard part afterwards will be to keep her from jumping and from licking the site. Eight or nine weeks recovery. Yikes. How odd that I found out recently that I have to have a knee replacement and now Olive has problems at the knee. Go figure!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Poor girl. I know you'll make the right choice. Good luck!

Dave

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Amazing, isn't it? I was surprised at how many handles and pulls we needed to get. Just for this small kitchen I think we bought about 30. We still need to get them for the two bathrooms. That'll be another couple dozen, I think. It adds up fast! Glad it's something that doesn't wear out. :D

Dave

When we moved in here ten years ago we bought several dozen talavera knobs for the kitchen and laundry room. These were shipped from Albuquerque. We'd remodeled or built 4 bathrooms with talavera sinks that we brought home from Sedona and Albuquerque, and lots of colorful Mexican tile bought locally, but couldn't do a full Mexican kitchen remodel. The knobs helped give me the feel I wanted in the kitchen.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m so sorry to hear about both you and your sweet furr-baby! You obviously (or maybe not) will be easier to control than she will be. LoL

You will definitely have to keep her from jumping, etc. We went through the same thing when our sweet Sugar tore her ACL and had to have TPLO. She was an 80 pound German Shepherd. Thankfully, she wasn’t a bundle of energy anyway but we did have to control her movement after the surgery. We were advised by the vet to keep her kenneled so she could not run, jump, etc. We did that for 6 weeks and it wasn’t easy because we both worked but I would go home at lunch and let her out to go potty, etc. She got to go for short walks theee or four times a day just to exercise and strengthen the leg. We also had to do little exercises for some rehab.

So, you might want to think about a kennel for her so she doesn’t have a lot of room to move around. It’s hard (more on us than them) but it will help.

Olive saw the vet surgeon today and has a torn ligament. She has to have either a “TPLO” surgical procedure or “Extracapsular Stifle Repair” surgery next week. I’ll have to Google those as I don’t remember all his explanation. I recall that the TPLO involves reshaping the top of the tibia bone. The hard part afterwards will be to keep her from jumping and from licking the site. Eight or nine weeks recovery. Yikes. How odd that I found out recently that I have to have a knee replacement and now Olive has problems at the knee. Go figure!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m so sorry to hear about both you and your sweet furr-baby! You obviously (or maybe not) will be easier to control than she will be. LoL

You will definitely have to keep her from jumping, etc. We went through the same thing when our sweet Sugar tore her ACL and had to have TPLO. She was an 80 pound German Shepherd. Thankfully, she wasn’t a bundle of energy anyway but we did have to control her movement after the surgery. We were advised by the vet to keep her kenneled so she could not run, jump, etc. We did that for 6 weeks and it wasn’t easy because we both worked but I would go home at lunch and let her out to go potty, etc. She got to go for short walks theee or four times a day just to exercise and strengthen the leg. We also had to do little exercises for some rehab.

So, you might want to think about a kennel for her so she doesn’t have a lot of room to move around. It’s hard (more on us than them) but it will help.

Thank you! The surgeon said that they do several of the TPLO procedures a day on labs and bigger dogs but that with a little dog (she’s 10 lbs) it could be trickier. We do have a crate and fortunately she is accustomed to traveling in the car in it as well as using it from time to time in the house. If we leave it where we are she often goes in it on her own. We’re keeping her on short leash when out now as she likes to jump from sofa to sofa, chair to chair and outside on the low border walls round the flower beds. He told me we’ll have to crate her 8 to 9 weeks and she will have a cone on so she can’t lick it.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
We love the quality of the picture of our LG OLED TV. However....you know that was coming, didn't you....I guess since we primarily watch two channels, the network symbol for each is permanently imprinted as a somewhat faded symbol in the background of every channel. It's about three or four years old.

I remember you saying this when I just read an article on OLED TVs. Apparently burn-in when left on a channel most of the time is a problem with all OLED TVs not just LG.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
For those of you who have wondered, Yes. I'm still here. :D Just waiting for the holidays to be over with, so we can move forward with a few more things in the house. The big reveal isn't far away. We aren't totally done yet, but it's close. Here are a few teasers:

We got our beautiful Hawaiian clock hung in a great spot on a living room wall. Everyone who comes to the house will be able to see and appreciate it. Note the plantation shutters adjacent to it, looking onto the back patio. To the right, the windows in the back are the dining room windows, which look onto the back yard. The plantation shutters work very well in this home, and completely change the dynamic of the windows. If you can remember the awful window coverings we had before, with those terrible fabric valances over Venetian blinds, you can see this is a fantastic improvement. We love this clock.

IMG_3337.JPG

Koaclock.jpg

We had purchased a wine cart for the kitchen from Overstock, not because we needed more wine storage, but because we wanted more food prep room. The kitchen counters are a bit lacking, in that they're divided up by the stove and sink. There isn't really enough uncluttered prep space. The cart that came was nice, but not great. It is about four feet long, and about 18 inches wide. The top seemed a bit "weak" for what we wanted, because it was much shorter than the overall cart size, and only about a half inch thick. This is the stock image Overstock used for it on their sales page (all the accessories not included) :

kitchen cart.png

So, not to be outdone, and being the clever types we are, we bought a 24"X50" Acacia wood countertop at Home Depot. It is very nice, and has a "live edge," which gives it a very dramatic look. We replaced the weak top with the Acacia top. To keep it looking great, then we had a piece of plate glass cut and edge-polished to fit. It all fits like a glove, and the redesigned cart looks and works fantastic. It is precisely what we needed in the kitchen, and it looks very custom:

IMG_3340.JPG

Probably the most visual impact of anything we've done so far is that we got the "art niche" set up. We have a very large (3X5 foot) reproduction of Van Gogh's "The Cafe Terrace" aka "The Night Cafe." It's a lovely piece done in a glossy dark blue piano lacquer finish on a three-dimensional box frame. The darker blue background enhances the brilliant colors of the image. We've had this piece since 2002, and never tire of seeing it, and we wanted it in a place of prominence. This art niche is in our living room, and is the perfect backdrop to this dynamic work. We had the background painted that darkest chocolate color, (see Reply #117 upthread for the colors we had the walls painted.) We also had a directional can light installed that can be aimed. It all works great, I think:

vangogh.jpg

That's it for now. More to come soon.

The new front door is being installed on Thursday. After it's painted and ready, we'll be taking final pictures, to share with everyone on Tug. You've been very patient. :D

Dave

Last edited:

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh Dave, it all looks lovely!! You are making that house truly your home and have done so much to improve it. I love it! I especially love your art niche and that picture is just stunning.

If I might though, I would rethink having the lamp and knicknacks on the table - it takes away from that beautiful picture. The lamp might be fine on its own, set to the edge of the table. Now that’s just my opinion and you can tell me to stuff it - I won’t mind. LoL I just know that at my first glance I saw the smattering of objects on the table as distracting and that picture deserves to be the star on that wall.

I absolutely love everything you have done with your house there. ❤️❤️

For those of you who have wondered, Yes. I'm still here. :D Just waiting for the holidays to be over with, so we can move forward with a few more things in the house. The big reveal isn't far away. We aren't totally done yet, but it's close. Here are a few teasers:

We got our beautiful Hawaiian clock hung in a great spot on a living room wall. Everyone who comes to the house will be able to see and appreciate it. Note the plantation shutters adjacent to it, looking onto the back patio. To the right, the windows in the back are the dining room windows, which look onto the back yard. The plantation shutters work very well in this home, and completely change the dynamic of the windows. If you can remember the awful window coverings we had before, with those terrible fabric valances over Venetian blinds, you can see this is a fantastic improvement. We love this clock.

View attachment 29245

View attachment 29249

We had purchased a wine cart for the kitchen from Overstock, not because we needed more wine storage, but because we wanted more food prep room. The kitchen counters are a bit lacking, in that they're divided up by the stove and sink. There isn't really enough uncluttered prep space. The cart that came was nice, but not great. It is about four feet long, and about 18 inches wide. The top seemed a bit "weak" for what we wanted, because it was much shorter than the overall cart size, and only about a half inch thick. This is the stock image Overstock used for it on their sales page (all the accessories not included) :

View attachment 29247

So, not to be outdone, and being the clever types we are, we bought a 24"X50" Acacia wood countertop at Home Depot. It is very nice, and has a "live edge," which gives it a very dramatic look. We replaced the weak top with the Acacia top. To keep it looking great, then we had a piece of plate glass cut and edge-polished to fit. It all fits like a glove, and the redesigned cart looks and works fantastic. It is precisely what we needed in the kitchen, and it looks very custom:

View attachment 29248

Probably the most visual impact of anything we've done so far is that we got the "art niche" set up. We have a very large (3X5 foot) reproduction of Van Gogh's "The Cafe Terrace" aka "The Night Cafe." It's a lovely piece done in a glossy piano lacquer finish on a three-dimensional box frame, with a darker blue background to enhance the brilliant colors of the image. We've had this piece since 2002, and never tire of seeing it, and we wante in a place of prominence. This art niche is in our living room, and is perfect backdrop to this dynamic work. We had the background painted that darkest chocolate color, (see Really #117 upthread for the colors we had the walls painted.) We also had a directional can light installed that can be aimed. It all works great, I think:

View attachment 29246

That's it for now. More to come soon.

The new front door is being installed on Thursday. After it's painted and ready, we'll be taking final pictures, to share with everyone on Tug. You've been very patient. :D

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Oh Dave, it all looks lovely!! You are making that house truly your home and have done so much to improve it. I love it! I especially love your art niche and that picture is just stunning.

If I might though, I would rethink having the lamp and knicknacks on the table - it takes away from that beautiful picture. The lamp might be fine on its own, set to the edge of the table. Now that’s just my opinion and you can tell me to stuff it - I won’t mind. LoL I just know that at my first glance I saw the smattering of objects on the table as distracting and that picture deserves to be the star on that wall.

I absolutely love everything you have done with your house there. ❤❤

Thanks, Jan. I appreciate the kind words, and I'd never say a discouraging word when it comes to positive suggestions. The items on the table are "for now." This configuration is new, as of this afternoon. My Jeff is fickle as can be about what goes where. I've learned that if I give things a few days, and say something like, "Say... What do you think about..." and I throw it out there, suddenly my ideas become his ideas. And his ideas are the good ones. <wink wink> I agree, it looks a tad crowded in that angle. But closer up, or from the other side, it's not so cluttered-looking. Here's a different angle:

IMG_3341.JPG

Dave

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m a lot like your sweet husband - it takes me several tries to get it just right. It does look less cluttered at the other angle and it’s just beautiful. ❤️❤️
Thanks, Jan. I appreciate the kind words, and I'd never say a discouraging word when it comes to positive suggestions. The items on the table are "for now." This configuration is new, as of this afternoon. My Jeff is fickle as can be about what goes where. I've learned that if I give things a few days, and say something like, "Say... What do you think about..." and I throw it out there, suddenly my ideas become his ideas. And his ideas are the good ones. <wink wink> I agree, it looks a tad crowded in that angle. But closer up, or from the other side, it's not so cluttered-looking. Here's a different angle:

View attachment 29250

Dave

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I remember you saying this when I just read an article on OLED TVs. Apparently burn-in when left on a channel most of the time is a problem with all OLED TVs not just LG.
I've been thinking of getting another one for the master bedroom as I will be spending a good bit of time up there when I have knee replacement. I haven't really seen any great Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals though.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

View attachment 29250

Dave

I think I'd go with just the talavera kitty and the lamp, turn the kitty so his ass faces away from the lamp (or switch the two so you are most often walking toward the kitty's face if the traffic pattern supports it). Then stand back and see what you think.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Love the Van Gogh print...so much that I've got copy on my hallway wall! Mine's just a print from the Van Gogh museum gift shop, so not nearly as dramatic as yours. But I agree that it's a piece of artwork I never grow tired of. Love the clock too, and that you're able to show it off so well.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The art niche is so eye-catching and has just the right amount of drama. It makes me want to walk up to it and ponder on the Van Gogh piece. Love the colors! I think I would try it with just the cat and lamp but whatever you decide, it will still be eye-catching!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I talked to Jeff about the cat, and how its butt was being highlighted by the lamp. I also said Tuggers were saying the candlesticks were too much. He agreed! :D

Here is the latest version. Note that the ceiling is nine feet high, and this Van Gogh replica is five feet tall, so it's a rather imposing piece of art. We sure like it. :). I heard last night that it is the second most popular piece he painted, right after the second version of "Starry Night." I like that one too, but there isn't as much to be seen in it. This one has much more life to it, I think. :D

vincent.JPG

@clifffaith, the entry foyer and front door is to the right of this location, and the kitchen is to the left. So the traffic pattern is back and forth in both directions in front of this table. We pointed the cat's butt back toward the wall, so it's not quite as obvious. Jeff gave you props for knowing it's a Talavera piece. :D

Dave

Last edited:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I talked to Jeff about the cat, and how its butt was being highlighted by the lamp. I also said Tuggers were saying the candlesticks were too much. He agreed! :D

Here is the latest version. Note that the ceiling is nine feet high, and this Van Gogh replica is five feet tall, so it's a rather imposing piece of art. We sure like it. :). I heard last night that it is the second most popular piece he painted, right after the second version of "Starry Night." I like that one too, but there isn't as much to be seen in it. This one has much more life to it, I think. :D

View attachment 29275

@clifffaith, the entry foyer and front door is to the right of this location, and the kitchen is to the left. So the traffic pattern is back and forth in both directions in front of this table. We pointed the cat's butt back toward the wall, so it's not quite as obvious. Jeff gave you props for knowing it's a Talavera piece. :D

Dave

I know it well -- we installed five talavera sinks, and tons of the tile when we moved into this house, and have multiple statuary pieces as well.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I know it well -- we installed five talavera sinks, and tons of the tile when we moved into this house, and have multiple statuary pieces as well.

Then you obviously win. LOL! :D. We got this one eight years ago, near Akumal, not far from Tulum, in the Yucatan. Jeff (the cat fanatic) babied it all the way home, including carrying it on his lap on the plane. This kitty has been cuddled more than a real one. :D

Dave

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
@DaveNV I just caught up and love everything you did

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I will say this once & only once.
You are going to have a very special welcome to our new home party when this COVID thing is conquered RIGHT?:cool:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I will say this once & only once.
You are going to have a very special welcome to our new home party when this COVID thing is conquered RIGHT?:cool:

Oh yes! I'd already have done it, but the Covid thing has prevented it. But afterwards? You betcha!

Dave