• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DaveNV: Making a Home in the Desert

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
In other words, I feel your pain. We've fixed some of them, and some of them just haven't risen to the top of the deferred maintenance list yet. ;)

I understand. We figured as long as they were onsite doing other stuff, we’d ask them to help us sort out the odd things we’d found. They also did normal stuff, like installing an outlet at the rear of the Master Bedroom closet. Big 8X12 walk-in space, and nowhere to plug anything in.

The electricians commented that the wall where the switch to turn on the courtyard lights was installed, the roof joists came down right on top of it, making it impossible to get to the wiring. So apparently it was wired before the roof was put on the house. Very strange construction here. :D

Dave

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I understand. We figured as long as they were onsite doing other stuff, we’d ask them to help us sort out the odd things we’d found. They also did normal stuff, like installing an outlet at the rear of the Master Bedroom closet. Big 8X12 walk-in space, and nowhere to plug anything in.

The electricians commented that the wall where the switch to turn on the courtyard lights was installed, the roof joists came down right on top of it, making it impossible to get to the wiring. So apparently it was wired before the roof was put on the house. Very strange construction here. :D

Dave

My buddy built a home in the Columbia Gorge on a cliff and the master bedroom closet is huge but no electrical socket. I know because I used their closet as our guest room when we stayed over for parties. Good thinking on the extra outlet.

Bill

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another 'forgotten' space that needs outlet(s) is in the pantry. So nice to have relatively little used appliances there, not on the counters. Like a slow cooker, or knife sharpener or rechargeable light, all plugged in and ready to use.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
How many switches in one room do you need to turn on a ceiling fan?
We bought our current house as a short sale (that turned into a foreclosure)-new build. The builder had obviously planned on putting ceiling fans in many rooms as most rooms have a single light fixture but 2 switches. We've added ceiling fans in a couple rooms. But if you have an Alexa and smart "stuff"-husband is the geek who wires our house-you just have to ask to turn stuff on/off. Fireplace, lights, tv, my holiday lights (living room and kitchen), deck lights, deck fan...too bad Alexa can't do the laundry too.
They'd better be - that's the brand of the appliances I ordered
Have had my LG washer & dryer for over 15 years now-had to actually stop and realize it has been that long! Still going strong even with interstate move. Our previous house all the offers on it when we sold wanted my pretty washer and dryer (they are red)-glad we took them with us!
We had to add an outlet in our living room floor-the great room is set up in a way that furniture has to "float" and not be against a wall; no outlet nearby to plug in a lamp!

Hope those dang appliances show up as promised!! Can't wait to see the whole big reveal!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We bought our current house as a short sale (that turned into a foreclosure)-new build. The builder had obviously planned on putting ceiling fans in many rooms as most rooms have a single light fixture but 2 switches. We've added ceiling fans in a couple rooms. But if you have an Alexa and smart "stuff"-husband is the geek who wires our house-you just have to ask to turn stuff on/off. Fireplace, lights, tv, my holiday lights (living room and kitchen), deck lights, deck fan...too bad Alexa can't do the laundry too.

Have had my LG washer & dryer for over 15 years now-had to actually stop and realize it has been that long! Still going strong even with interstate move. Our previous house all the offers on it when we sold wanted my pretty washer and dryer (they are red)-glad we took them with us!
We had to add an outlet in our living room floor-the great room is set up in a way that furniture has to "float" and not be against a wall; no outlet nearby to plug in a lamp!

Hope those dang appliances show up as promised!! Can't wait to see the whole big reveal!

I saw a commercial where the people said "Alexa, tell Roomba to clean in front of the sofa." That's getting pretty specific. Alexa doing the dishes can't be far behind. :)

I had all LG appliances at my old home, and really liked them. The kitchen suite I bought for this house is the same LG appliances, but updated. The laundry appliances, wherever they are, are also LG. I'm loyal, if nothing else. :)

Things are getting very real: Today is Monday. The kitchen appliances are scheduled to be delivered Wednesday. I've arranged for them to be installed Thursday. We'll sleep at the new house Thursday night. Friday the movers are coming to the rental house to load the last of our larger things and move them to the new house. Over the weekend we'll clean the rental and turn in the keys. We are THIS CLOSE to being moved in, but we're not done yet: The last of the ordered furniture and such will trickle in over the next several weeks, including the plantation shutters we ordered. I'm told they're almost done, and will be installed the first week of November.

There are still a few surprises I haven't talked about. We have a new front door on order, that is due to arrive in about two weeks. It has a beautiful large glass insert with lots of clear, cut, beveled, and art glass pieces in it. It will make a showpiece of that courtyard, and a great entrance into the home, once everything is done. I still need to find someone to install it. :D

Dave

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave, you DO know your thread is tempting a lot of Tuggers booking Las Vegas, Mesquite, St. George timeshare vacations to plan an extra day to come visit you and see your place, right?

That makes me smile. Thank you. The turnstile is still on order. LOL! :D

Dave

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Dave, you DO know your thread is tempting a lot of Tuggers booking Las Vegas, Mesquite, St. George timeshare vacations to plan an extra day to come visit you and see your place, right?
YES! A TUG housewarming party sounds like a great idea!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
YES! A TUG housewarming party sounds like a great idea!

I'd be up for it, but Covid kind of adds a hard wrinkle to things. And my Jeff is fiercely adamant about not socializing until this is over. :D

Dave

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I saw a commercial where the people said "Alexa, tell Roomba to clean in front of the sofa." That's getting pretty specific. Alexa doing the dishes can't be far behind. :)

I had all LG appliances at my old home, and really liked them. The kitchen suite I bought for this house is the same LG appliances, but updated. The laundry appliances, wherever they are, are also LG. I'm loyal, if nothing else. :)

Things are getting very real: Today is Monday. The kitchen appliances are scheduled to be delivered Wednesday. I've arranged for them to be installed Thursday. We'll sleep at the new house Thursday night. Friday the movers are coming to the rental house to load the last of our larger things and move them to the new house. Over the weekend we'll clean the rental and turn in the keys. We are THIS CLOSE to being moved in, but we're not done yet: The last of the ordered furniture and such will trickle in over the next several weeks, including the plantation shutters we ordered. I'm told they're almost done, and will be installed the first week of November.

There are still a few surprises I haven't talked about. We have a new front door on order, that is due to arrive in about two weeks. It has a beautiful large glass insert with lots of clear, cut, beveled, and art glass pieces in it. It will make a showpiece of that courtyard, and a great entrance into the home, once everything is done. I still need to find someone to install it. :D

Dave
I have an LG washer and dryer that are a year old and an LG 65” OLED tv that is a couple years old. I absolutely love them! LG will be my go-to brand for any appliance or electronic purchase (outside the Apple ecosystem). They‘re full of features, simple to use, and very high quality. Good choice!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
We've had our LG top load washer and front load dryer for six years. I have two problems with them. Even though I am using an HE laundry soap and softener, and a very small amount of each, I get white streaks on dark clothing when I take them out of the washer. I often have to run them through another rinse cycle. They dryer rarely fully dries the clothes. Even when I take out the lighter weight clothing which is drier, the heavier do not dry completely though I set the dryer on the driest level.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We've had our LG top load washer and front load dryer for six years. I have two problems with them. Even though I am using an HE laundry soap and softener, and a very small amount of each, I get white streaks on dark clothing when I take them out of the washer. I often have to run them through another rinse cycle. They dryer rarely fully dries the clothes. Even when I take out the lighter weight clothing which is drier, the heavier do not dry completely though I set the dryer on the driest level.

Check the washer fill cycle volume. Could be it isn't filling the tub fully, and those streaks happen with residual water that is missed in the rinse cycle. I prefer a front-loading washer, where the size of the load isn't so much of a factor. Top loaders always seem to use too much water. Even if the tub isn't full of clothes, it still seems like it uses a lot of water to wash anything. (Yes, I know it sounds like I just contradicted myself. My point is to make sure the water is being changed out with each cycle the washer goes through.)

As to the dryer, check your exhaust lines to make sure they aren't clogged with lint. If they are, moisture stays inside the dryer, causing longer drying times.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I have an LG washer and dryer that are a year old and an LG 65” OLED tv that is a couple years old. I absolutely love them! LG will be my go-to brand for any appliance or electronic purchase (outside the Apple ecosystem). They‘re full of features, simple to use, and very high quality. Good choice!

I also have several LG flat screen TVs - in fact, they're the only TV brand I own. They are better than any other brand I've ever had.

Dave

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
As to the dryer, check your exhaust lines to make sure they aren't clogged with lint. If they are, moisture stays inside the dryer, causing longer drying times.

Clogged dryer exhaust lines can also cause house fires.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Check the washer fill cycle volume. Could be it isn't filling the tub fully, and those streaks happen with residual water that is missed in the rinse cycle. I prefer a front-loading washer, where the size of the load isn't so much of a factor. Top loaders always seem to use too much water. Even if the tub isn't full of clothes, it still seems like it uses a lot of water to wash anything. (Yes, I know it sounds like I just contradicted myself. My point is to make sure the water is being changed out with each cycle the washer goes through.)

Dave

It’s not like the old top loaders. At the time I bought it, Consumer Reports rated it as the most efficient and water saving top loader. I’ve never seen it fill the tub fully. I do small loads. Now that I think about it, I turn a number of my clothes inside out as directed on the labels and as I’ve learned that they pill less when I do. It is often those that have streaks. Not sure how to check the water fill cycle.

The dryer definitely is not clogged. I clean out the filter before every use. And we have a thin little vacuum made for dryers that we use to keep stray lint that might have escaped the filter. Hubby recently pulled the dryer and pulled the exhaust line out and put a new one in. There was some lint in the exhaust but even after replacing it we still have the same problem.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The dryer definitely is not clogged. I clean out the filter before every use. And we have a thin little vacuum made for dryers that we use to keep stray lint that might have escaped the filter. Hubby recently pulled the dryer and pulled the exhaust line out and put a new one in. There was some lint in the exhaust but even after replacing it we still have the same problem.

Does the dryer vent directly to the outside, or is it connected to venting that travels inside the wall to get to the outdoor vent? In my Washington house, the laundry was in an upstairs hallway closet, right outside the Master Bedroom, (which was very convenient, actually.) But the exhaust connection inside the wall traveled twelve feet from that closet to the vent on the exterior wall. When it started taking a long time to dry things, I bought one of those dryer cleanout gadgets that attaches to a power drill, climbed a ladder to the second floor, and went in from the outside. I cleaned out massive amounts of lint I didn't know was even there. It was inconvenient at the time due to being on the second floor and needing to climb a ladder to clean it out, but the dryer worked great after that. So I'm wondering if your house has a similar thing going on.

Dave

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does the dryer vent directly to the outside, or is it connected to venting that travels inside the wall to get to the outdoor vent? In my Washington house, the laundry was in an upstairs hallway closet, right outside the Master Bedroom, (which was very convenient, actually.) But the exhaust connection inside the wall traveled twelve feet from that closet to the vent on the exterior wall. When it started taking a long time to dry things, I bought one of those dryer cleanout gadgets that attaches to a power drill, climbed a ladder to the second floor, and went in from the outside. I cleaned out massive amounts of lint I didn't know was even there. It was inconvenient at the time due to being on the second floor and needing to climb a ladder to clean it out, but the dryer worked great after that. So I'm wondering if your house has a similar thing going on.

Dave

Our dryer is downstairs and sits right against the outside wall of the house and is vented directly out. There was some lint in it when he pulled and replaced it. I know about those upstairs units as our other house has a stackable in an upstairs closet and was originally vented with an elbow and up into the attic!!! That became a problem very soon and was re-vented straight and out.

I’ve never wanted an upstairs washer and dryer. Convenient for putting things away but not for doing loads and loads of laundry, running up and down the stairs to check on and move them. I sleep upstairs but spend the day and evening downstairs. The best layout we’ve had was a master closet that opened from the master bath and also into the laundry room. And in another house, we had a washer and dryer in our master closet and another across the house near the other bedrooms. Daughter was in high school then and did her own laundry.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought one of those dryer cleanout gadgets that attaches to a power drill, climbed a ladder to the second floor, and went in from the outside. I cleaned out massive amounts of lint I didn't know was even there. It was inconvenient at the time due to being on the second floor and needing to climb a ladder to clean it out, but the dryer worked great after that. So I'm wondering if your house has a similar thing going on.
Yes our vent line has to run a bit to get outside-when my dryer started having issues on not drying hubs bought one of those rotorooter thingamabobs and he too cleaned out tons and tons and tons of lint! Even though I religiously clean the lint filter it was amazing the amount pulled out. It's now on the yearly maintenance list-it is funny because this is the longest we've stayed in a house (previously we moved every 3-5 years-and moved states!) & buy new builds so we haven't had to do maintenance like this lol!
Since in-laws decided to cancel their usual January Mexico vacation (and we were going to go for a week) may put that money towards the new floors-I LOVE your floors and good to know hickory is dog nail scratch resistant! I am looking at a more varied in color/streaky? (not sure how to describe color) but in hickory now. We've planned on replacing the carpet since we moved in 10 years ago-but kids expenses/vacations have taken priority...

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I also have several LG flat screen TVs - in fact, they're the only TV brand I own. They are better than any other brand I've ever had.

Dave

Good to know. Cliff plans to leave the ten year old TVs behind mounted to the walls in the MBR & Cliff's office/second bedroom. Not clear to me if he plans to tell the new owner or not (maybe I can leave that damn Sleep Number bed and no one will notice or care). With things like TVs I don't care beyond making him return one ten years ago that was WAY to big for the bedroom. Not something I care to shop for -- get what you want and be done with it. The new owners will be surprised to find wires in the corners of every window that I doubt will be noticed before they move in. "Someone" thought it would be a good idea to have all the windows wired for window coverings.. I don't know how much he paid to have that done when we were doing construction here before moving in -- all his stereo equipment got wired to play throughout the house too. Not my thing at all -- in spite of having sold motorized window treatments for 30 years. My office and his office are the only rooms with remote controlled window coverings -- my office is half a level below grade and the windows are extra high, so it made sense. His windows have shutters which don't provide enough light control for the computer so there is a black mesh screen behind the shutters that is remote operated. My feeling with motorized treatments, since I was mostly dealing with women or couples, was don't make an extra project for the lady of the house. I watched him lose a high ladder window job that created electrician work where instead the woman could have called us every few years to change the batteries. Yes, hard wired would have been better in the long run, but she was ready to buy remote controlled, had said yes to my 10K price, and Cliff tried to push bringing the electrician in to do the wiring. WRONG.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Good to know. Cliff plans to leave the ten year old TVs behind mounted to the walls in the MBR & Cliff's office/second bedroom.

Before you buy a new TV, go to Costco and compare the images on the LG’s to any other TV brand they have. The quality will win you over.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So after what seemed like forEVER, we finally, FINALLY have kitchen appliances. Yay!! After more than nine weeks on order and in shipment, they arrived yesterday. I was more than a bit apprehensive to see the damage to the cardboard shipping boxes. They were pretty shredded in places. My worst nightmare would have been if the appliances had been damaged in shipment, and would have to be sent back. But I opened and examined each item while the trucking company guys stood there waiting. The Vendor had been very specific, that if I accepted them without noting any damage, I was on the hook for any repairs. Luckily, nothing was damaged. Makes me very glad for little miracles. :D

Then, this morning at 8:00 prompt, a local company I'd hired arrived to install the appliances for me. New challenges: I hadn't considered that these were new and improved, 2020-year appliances, and the house has 12 year old doorways. So it caused a bit of head scratching. How to fit that enormous fridge through those not-so enormous doorways? In the end, they had to remove the doors from the fridge, no small feat. There were wires and cabling and connections and water hoses and whatnot all over the place. I have no idea how he did it, but the guy was obviously very experienced at what he was doing. Even so, it still took him over an hour to dismantle things enough to get the main fridge part through the doorways. But it did finally fit through the doorway. There wasn't a lot of room, and I know if I'd have purchased anything larger, it just wouldn't have fit at all. Yikes! Dodged a bullet on that one!

IMG_3208.JPG
IMG_3209.JPG

The guys stuck with it, and at the end of about five hours of steady work, my four new appliances were installed. The work was absolutely professional, and I could not be more satisfied with things. They look great, and I am delighted. I haven't cooked anything yet, but it all seems ready to go. Here are three quick pictures I took this afternoon:

IMG_3223.JPG
IMG_3222.JPG
IMG_3224.JPG

So this means we'll be sleeping at the new house tonight, for the first time. We've moved the last of the smaller furniture from the rental, and tomorrow we will run over to St. George to turn in the rented van I've had the last few weeks. I even took time this afternoon for one final dump run, to get rid of a mountain of packing boxes, styrofoam, and other leftover trash from moving. All the appliances came in boxes, with a ton of packing material around them. It was mostly too large to fit in my car, so it was great that I had this van available to get rid of it all. It has worked out beautifully, and I'm sure the neighbors will be glad to not have the van filling the street in front of the house. It's too large to fit in the driveway of the rental house. :D

IMG_3225.JPG

We're meeting furniture movers at the rental tomorrow afternoon to move the last of the big furniture to the new house. Jeff and I will take care of moving the last of the small items and loose things in our cars. Over the weekend we'll clean the rental, and then turn in the keys. it'll be nice to only have to think about living in one house, instead of two.

I can nearly taste it. We're almost done. :D

Dave

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Measuring for appliances is very important. When Patti and I got married she was in a 2 Bedroom 1 bath 1100 square foot Craftsman Cottage. The first side by side frig she ordered was too big. It blocked part of the door way to the basement. Back it went. She ended up with about the smallest side by side made in 2001. We used in that house, our next house, and for a couple years in this house. It is now in the garage for beer and Gatorade; and, Vodka and Tequila in the freezer section.

Similar thing with the Washer and Dryer she bought. They would not fit through the door to the basement. So back they went and she bought a small set. Still the basement door had to be removed to get them down. We did not move them. We bought new and larger ones for our move in 2004. We moved them to current home in 2010. We just got rid of them. So they lasted over 16 years. The washer drum was starting to get rust. (Lesson always buy Washer with a stainless steel drum.)

When my son and his wife moved from a small apartment in Manhattan to a large house in Salt Lake City they bought lots of furniture and appliances. They made one goof. They measured for the depth and width for the Frig but forgot about height. It basically fit except when they got to the door hinges. So it always stuck out into the kitchen about 6 inches. I offered to remove the molding around the upper Cabinent and recut it. They declined my offer.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Measuring for appliances is very important.

I measured the space inside the kitchen, so I knew the fridge would fit the niche. But I didn’t even think about getting it through doorways to get TO the kitchen. That was where the squeeze points came in. It was a great reminder that bigger isn’t always the easiest way to go.

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So after what seemed like forEVER, we finally, FINALLY have kitchen appliances. Yay!! After more than nine weeks on order and in shipment, they arrived yesterday. I was more than a bit apprehensive to see the damage to the cardboard shipping boxes. They were pretty shredded in places. My worst nightmare would have been if the appliances had been damaged in shipment, and would have to be sent back. But I opened and examined each item while the trucking company guys stood there waiting. The Vendor had been very specific, that if I accepted them without noting any damage, I was on the hook for any repairs. Luckily, nothing was damaged. Makes me very glad for little miracles. :D

Then, this morning at 8:00 prompt, a local company I'd hired arrived to install the appliances for me. New challenges: I hadn't considered that these were new and improved, 2020-year appliances, and the house has 12 year old doorways. So it caused a bit of head scratching. How to fit that enormous fridge through those not-so enormous doorways? In the end, they had to remove the doors from the fridge, no small feat. There were wires and cabling and connections and water hoses and whatnot all over the place. I have no idea how he did it, but the guy was obviously very experienced at what he was doing. Even so, it still took him over an hour to dismantle things enough to get the main fridge part through the doorways. But it did finally fit through the doorway. There wasn't a lot of room, and I know if I'd have purchased anything larger, it just wouldn't have fit at all. Yikes! Dodged a bullet on that one!

View attachment 27834 View attachment 27835

The guys stuck with it, and at the end of about five hours of steady work, my four new appliances were installed. The work was absolutely professional, and I could not be more satisfied with things. They look great, and I am delighted. I haven't cooked anything yet, but it all seems ready to go. Here are three quick pictures I took this afternoon:

View attachment 27831 View attachment 27832 View attachment 27833

So this means we'll be sleeping at the new house tonight, for the first time. We've moved the last of the smaller furniture from the rental, and tomorrow we will run over to St. George to turn in the rented van I've had the last few weeks. I even took time this afternoon for one final dump run, to get rid of a mountain of packing boxes, styrofoam, and other leftover trash from moving. All the appliances came in boxes, with a ton of packing material around them. It was mostly too large to fit in my car, so it was great that I had this van available to get rid of it all. It has worked out beautifully, and I'm sure the neighbors will be glad to not have the van filling the street in front of the house. It's too large to fit in the driveway of the rental house. :D

View attachment 27836

We're meeting furniture movers at the rental tomorrow afternoon to move the last of the big furniture to the new house. Jeff and I will take care of moving the last of the small items and loose things in our cars. Over the weekend we'll clean the rental, and then turn in the keys. it'll be nice to only have to think about living in one house, instead of two.

I can nearly taste it. We're almost done. :D

Dave

That’s some snazzy refrigerator you got there!

Your range, dishwasher and microwave look like ours, but they are GE.

Everything looks great!