• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CWA vs deeded points ?

Ninjaneer80

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation-Village Atalaya-Towers
I have been doing a lot of reading from people helping me out on MF fees, etc. It seems that deed properties like the vegas locations, etc... have way lower MF vs the CWA points.

I am looking to go resale, we have 6 in the family ( 3 girls 1 boy) we need at a minimum 2 bedrooms and pull out couch.

what does going resale CWA give me vs the deeded points? I just recently moved to Virginia and for the next 2-5 years, we plan on doing a lot of traveling to Florida and other locations on the east cost.

I was looking at deeded because it seemed cheaper, but open to hear about CWA.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
We are coming up on 19 years of owning and I can count on one hand the number of times I've used ARP, Advance Reservation Priorty, to book at the maximum time out. I can only remember being able to use one of them! In our family we don't do well with planning that far out. That's an understatement, lol. We're retired now but even when we were working we had a lot of flexibility in taking vacation time. So planning closer in worked best for us.

In both 2019 and 2020 we stayed at various resorts approximately two thirds of the year. Not all of it was through Wyndham as we also own resorts that give us points in RCI. None of the Wyndham stays and only one of the RCI stays were booked more than 60 days out.

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are coming up on 19 years of owning and I can count on one hand the number of times I've used ARP, Advance Reservation Priorty, to book at the maximum time out. I can only remember being able to use one of them! In our family we don't do well with planning that far out. That's an understatement, lol. We're retired now but even when we were working we had a lot of flexibility in taking vacation time. So planning closer in worked best for us.

In both 2019 and 2020 we stayed at various resorts approximately two thirds of the year. Not all of it was through Wyndham as we also own resorts that give us points in RCI. None of the Wyndham stays and only one of the RCI stays were booked more than 60 days out.
I also have never booked more then 60 days out. Trip I am on now booked 1 week ago. When you can be flexible on your travel plans availability finds you.

troy12n

Reaction score
One of the things that bugged me is that Wyndham sales always tries to get you to move your points around. One of the sales tactics is if you have your points in CWA, to get you to move to deeded. Then vice versa.

When we first bought, we bought in CWA, then a couple years later, we were convinced to move them (with a small additional purchase) to Deeded at National Harbor. They showed us all sorts of figures which showed how low maintenance fees were, and how, over time, we would save a lot of money vs CWA. We could have used the extra points anyway, and as usual they pitched in some bonus points which bumped us up to Platinum for a couple years.

Things were fine, until this year when maintenance at NH jumped tremendously. Which wasn't supposed to happen. (coincidance, huh?)

I feel it's a dishonest sales tactic and honestly after this, i'm probably done with buying any new developer points.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Whatever you own, sales will tell you that you need to switch, it is just a sales tactic.

In 20+ years of ownership, I have used ARP about 3 times. Others may use it all the time, but I do not find that my travel patterns or Wyndham inventory warrants that behavior.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Whatever you own, sales will tell you that you need to switch, it is just a sales tactic.

In 20+ years of ownership, I have used ARP about 3 times. Others may use it all the time, but I do not find that my travel patterns or Wyndham inventory warrants that behavior.

We are similar in that we rarely use ARP - maybe for one booking per year for a family vacation - but even then since we only own 210k CWA points our options are so somewhat limited. The majority of the time we book within 60 days for discounts for weekend getaways or off season family vacations - for example booking into BC or Reunion over the winter months. Outside of that we typically book within the standard reservation window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
We are similar in that we rarely use ARP - maybe for one booking per year for a family vacation - but even then since we only own 210k CWA points our options are so somewhat limited. The majority of the time we book within 60 days for discounts for weekend getaways or off season family vacations - for example booking into BC or Reunion over the winter months. Outside of that we typically book within the standard reservation window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There were a handful of times I used RARP, and once I used ARP. The first time I used RARP was to get 2 four-bedroom presidential at Bonnet creek. The second time I used them was to book Great Smokies over the fourth of July week. They come in handy when you want the larger rooms, at popular resorts, over the prime season. I don't need ARP when RARP works just fine and don't need more than the 3 RARP I have now.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the things that bugged me is that Wyndham sales always tries to get you to move your points around. One of the sales tactics is if you have your points in CWA, to get you to move to deeded. Then vice versa.

When we first bought, we bought in CWA, then a couple years later, we were convinced to move them (with a small additional purchase) to Deeded at National Harbor. They showed us all sorts of figures which showed how low maintenance fees were, and how, over time, we would save a lot of money vs CWA. We could have used the extra points anyway, and as usual they pitched in some bonus points which bumped us up to Platinum for a couple years.

Things were fine, until this year when maintenance at NH jumped tremendously. Which wasn't supposed to happen. (coincidance, huh?)

I feel it's a dishonest sales tactic and honestly after this, i'm probably done with buying any new developer points.
In my experiences attending a sales presentation or a Wyndham owner workshop I don't think sales has ever used a honest sales tactic.

Last edited:

troy12n

Reaction score
In my experiences attending a sales presentation or a Wyndham owner workshop I don't think sales has ever used a honest sales tactic.

I think i've attended ONE where they seemed to be above board. That was at Lake Tahoe. I had just attended one at Canterbury the week before (worst ever) and I told the salesperson at Tahoe some of the things they said at Canterbury and they legitimately seemed mortified...

markb53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Panama City Beach
Worldmark
I think i've attended ONE where they seemed to be above board. That was at Lake Tahoe. I had just attended one at Canterbury the week before (worst ever) and I told the salesperson at Tahoe some of the things they said at Canterbury and they legitimately seemed mortified...

i would agree. Canterbury was my worst too. I’ve had two good ones though, at Wyndham Flagstaff and Wyndham Ocean Ridge in Edisto, SC.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Personally I'd start out with deeded but only if you can find a decent deal on something with lower maintenance fees. If you decide Wyndham isn't for you it'll be easier to sell it and not end up paying someone to take it.

You can always find CWA points cheap because the maintenance fees aren't cheap. Again using Grand Desert buildings 1 or 2, 105k in CWA points would cost you $172.20 more in maintenance fees for 2021 than the same number of points at GD.

There are plenty of people who own both deeded and CWA. For some people owning at a specific resort even if it has high maintenance fees or owning CWA is a necessity because they do need to book 13 months out. Those are usually the people who don't have a lot of flexibility about when they can go or aren't interested in going to an entirely different area if they can't get into that one resort they just have to have. In some cases it can be because they're doing a large family group vacation so they do need a specific week at a specific resort.