• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Customs Regulations for food - Bahamas?

Scuba Fletch

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been searching to find out customs regulations for the Bahamas. I can see there's a limit on alcohol and tobacco, but can't see that any other foods are prohibited. I'm sure fruits / veg. are not allowed, but what about other stuff? Meat, Coffee, Cereal, etc.

Thanks in advance!

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bring a suitcase of dry foods every year. Technically, I think there is supposed to be a duty on them, but I have never been charged. The customs person just asks me what kind of food I have, I tell him, and he says okay and lets me go by.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
I do the same thing but also bring a small soft sided cooler with sealed in original packaging lunch meat--I always have a porter help me with luggage and I get whisked through without any questions. Fruits/veggies are a NO NO but I think the other things are Ok if they are for your consumption only.

Scuba Fletch

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I figured - thanks for the help!

This will be our 3rd trip to Paradise Island - but I just wanted to make sure nothing had changed.

Also, that's a GREAT tip on the porter - I'm sure that it does help a ton.

Blessings!

Aldo

Reaction score
Bahamanian customs coming into Freeport is perhaps the most efficient I've ever seen. You enter a long rectangular room and have to walk a sort of a gauntlet through the middle of it to the counters at the other side. While you walk this gauntlet, half a dozen plainclothesmen are giving you the once over visually.

If you make it to the counters without the high sign being given to the lady at the counter concerning you, they pretty much welcome you to the Bahamas and that's about it.

You MORE than make up for this leaving the Bahamas to go to the U.S. The U.S. Customs at Freeport is the most ridiculous, absurd, inefficient, stupid, and pointless bunch of grief imaginable.

Scuba Fletch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Leaving Bahamas is quite frustrating!!!

Yes, I have experienced that nightmare of leaving the Bahamas. EEK! It's US Customs that hires Bahamians to do our work, and it drives me nuts. Not sure why we go through US Customs in the Bahamas, but it almost made us miss our flight once.

Glad to know there's no new regulations. I remember a few years ago in Mexico, they took my frozen Omaha Steaks... GRRRR!

donnaval

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had no trouble taking in frozen steaks. The Bahamas custom guy joked with us and wanted to know what time he should show up for dinner!

Scuba Fletch

TUG Member
Reaction score
got in, no problem...

We got in on Saturday - no problem. Tonight, I made the great Orange Chicken from Costco - YUM!

It's been nice - but a little on the windy side. Looking forward to that Thanksgiving Dinner in a couple of days!

Blessings,
SCUBA Fletch

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Under Prohibited items on the Bahamas official web site:

"Articles contrary to Bahamian religious beliefs or morality will not be allowed
into the country" :confused: :confused: :confused:

Could they be referring to postcards form PCCs :hysterical: