• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 26 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $14,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $14 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Current state of timesharing---opinions /poll

If you didn't own a timeshare now, would you buy given today's climate?

• Yes, without question!

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Yes, but ONLY if it was a great deal

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • No, too many uncertainties and unknowns

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Maybe, but would wait until some dust settles

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • No, I would timeshare rent instead

Votes: 9 17.6%

• Total voters

SenorBlanco

Reaction score
Good morning! Spent a lot of time over the last few days going through the incredible information contained here trying to educate myself in the timesharing vernacular. Quite honestly, from what I'm gathering there appears to be a sense of uncertainty around a few items in the industry which honestly has me a little leery about moving forward at this moment in time. Curious on perspectives, even creating a poll, and would love some perspectives from those of you whom have seen changes over the years as I'm not sure if this is the norm or a blip.

Level set - my wife and I generally prefer resort-style settings and amenities so the HGVC, MVC/Vistana models seem most appealing, which coincidentally is where there appears to be the most flux.

Consolidations:
- Seems to be a ton of this going on and I've seen professionally that mergers/acquisitions may not be a good thing.
- What will happen with HGVC? I'm a Hilton Honors member and generally love the Hilton brand and frankly, thus far in my research HGVC would be our "front runner", but a lot going on here.
- MVC is actively acquiring but that seems to be leading to pretty subtantial bumps in MF---is that common? Looking at the stickies the norm over the last year or so seems to be 4-5%. Will that expand to their acquisitions of Vistana/ILG?

I know there are separate topics around this, however those are from the perspectives of owners whom are already bought into programs. I'm looking at this more from someone like myself who is considering timesharing.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Eagles Nest, Hgvc Surf Club, Hgvc Anderson, Sunrise Bay & Club
Good morning! Spent a lot of time over the last few days going through the incredible information contained here trying to educate myself in the timesharing vernacular. Quite honestly, from what I'm gathering there appears to be a sense of uncertainty around a few items in the industry which honestly has me a little leery about moving forward at this moment in time. Curious on perspectives, even creating a poll, and would love some perspectives from those of you whom have seen changes over the years as I'm not sure if this is the norm or a blip.

Level set - my wife and I generally prefer resort-style settings and amenities so the HGVC, MVC/Vistana models seem most appealing, which coincidentally is where there appears to be the most flux.

Consolidations:
- Seems to be a ton of this going on and I've seen professionally that mergers/acquisitions may not be a good thing.
- What will happen with HGVC? I'm a Hilton Honors member and generally love the Hilton brand and frankly, thus far in my research HGVC would be our "front runner", but a lot going on here.
- MVC is actively acquiring but that seems to be leading to pretty subtantial bumps in MF---is that common? Looking at the stickies the norm over the last year or so seems to be 4-5%. Will that expand to their acquisitions of Vistana/ILG?

I know there are separate topics around this, however those are from the perspectives of owners whom are already bought into programs. I'm looking at this more from someone like myself who is considering timesharing.
Without hesitation I would do it again. Timesharing has given me the opportunity to travel affordably and more frequently. The key to to being a happy timeshare owner is doing it right, right place and right price plus being able to find a new home for it if you no longer want it.

To reduce my risk in HGVC most of my weeks are affiliates in resorts that I love. I also then have the choice whether to be/stay a member.

For example one of the weeks I own is at Eagles Nest on Marco Island Fl. I have lots of flexibility in my choices.
1)Being it is an affiliate I can join HGVC if I want to but I do not have to. At any times if I don’t want to stay in HGVC I do not have to.

2) I can buy a fixed week or a flex week. If fixed I am guaranteed that week each year. If flex I submit my requests one year prior to the resort. Either fixed or flex can be deposited in HGVC for points.

3)Or I can trade within Interval International ( must be a member and pay trade fee) where it gets very good trading power.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you should add another option- For now, I'd rent and keep my options open.

And that's my suggestion for you. I say this because you are relatively young, only get one week's vacation a year, plus all the same 3-day long weekends every other working stiff gets, and competing with all those TSing families can get really tedious, and cash is king.

That's not to say that at some point, you won't find the 'perfect' buy-in where you want to go over and over again, but for now, rent and 'play the field'.

Jim

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
My life has been quite "circumstantial." I owned my own business for 24 years, and never had the ability to plan far ahead. However, my wife and daughter got to go to Disney World 32 times during that period. I don't believe in taking on contractual obligations - especially lifetime ones. The retail timeshare market is full of charlatans, and professional liars. (what other industry bribes their prospects in to listening to their sales pitch?) And the resale market requires much study, planning and versatility. I will leave "ownership" to those who want to own, and I will continue to use hotel rooms, and timeshare rentals to accomplish my travel goals.

SenorBlanco

Reaction score
I think you should add another option- For now, I'd rent and keep my options open.

And that's my suggestion for you. I say this because you are relatively young, only get one week's vacation a year, plus all the same 3-day long weekends every other working stiff gets, and competing with all those TSing families can get really tedious, and cash is king.

That's not to say that at some point, you won't find the 'perfect' buy-in where you want to go over and over again, but for now, rent and 'play the field'.

Jim
Great input and I actually added that to the poll. I also changed the option to where people can change their votes.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
My vote: "Yes, but ONLY if it was a great deal"
I confess to flirting with two new additions in the recent weeks. There were great deals (in my eyes) and quite tempting.
We'll celebrate 20 years with our initial timeshare purchase this summer. Overall, it has been a great ride.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SBP, SVV Bella
I equate “ONLY if it’s a great deal” to mean “buy RESALE only” and only after doing research about it on TUG.
Big yes for me. I bought a couple off EBAY and TUG last year.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO...this survey will naturally be biased toward the "if a great deal" for two reasons:

1) Tuggers are a sophisticated resale community compared to the general timeshare population. Think - stamp collectors and traders community vs. people who buy and use stamps.
2) Many Tuggers already own several deeds/points so only would consider a "great deal." This is our situation because it is diminishing returns. If we were starting out with no timeshares, the bar would be lower because we would want to get our vacations set (resale of course).

aandmrun

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is because of buying into timeshares that we even started traveling. It seemed that vacations were not a big priority until we knew that we had to use our weeks every year. I love having the opportunity to have a nice unit with balcony and or patio anywhere in the world. I believe that once you have become spoiled by staying in timeshares, you are never really satisfied with just a hotel room. This has saved us lots of money and given us the opportunity to enjoy many vacations with our grandchildren.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Yes
I mirror some of the above posts
1- it sorta forces you to vacation

2- Staying in timeshares give us a little piece of mind as in the units are usually very similar no mater where we stay

I do think that timeshares are beginning to change for the better
Too many people know or have heard horror stories, don’t know how to use what they bought etc
I think a change that gives more “ how to use” information and one that allows original owners a better resale value will drastically change the entire ownership
And I do think that is slowly starting to be the focus

You can only rip off so many people ( and not all feel ripped off ) before you need to make adjustments

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is a great deal, when you can buy a timeshare resale?

Sugarcubesea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I voted, "Yes, but ONLY if it was a great deal", and I would buy my timeshares again. It has actually allowed me to save money on vacations... Previously we only stayed in hotel rooms and that meant 3 meals a day at restaurants. Plus, from my budget spreadsheet, I have actually spent less on my MF's vs the hotel rates I was paying for the same locations.

I have always purchased TS's in locations where it was more costly to rent vs purchasing. I have purchased all of my TS's resale.

I still love everthing that I have purchased, yes the MF's continue to go up each year and when it outpaces being a value is when I will sell or give away.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I still consider a Newbie since I have only been involved in TS the last 4yrs but have owned the last 2.5. Because we are now a family of 7, it’s the only way to travel comfortably and cheaply.
TS forces us to vacation as well. We have 5 trips planned in 2020 to cover my children’s school schedule. And currently waiting for reservation windows to open up.
My suggestion is to rent until you find the System that will work for you. Although we own MVC family, I have stayed in HGVC, Wyndham, Holiday Inn and Worldmark locations.