• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Current Hawaii Travel Requirements?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
There has been so much discussion about Hawaii’s travel requirements due to Covid and it seems the various islands have different rules. Can someone make a quick summary of the current requirements by island, if they differ? Are the requirements for testing different for children? Does Kauai or any of the other islands still have a mandatory quarantine?

We have two weeks reserved to visit Kauai in August. I am assuming the travel requirements will probably be the same for that time frame but who knows.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
There has been so much discussion about Hawaii’s travel requirements due to Covid and it seems the various islands have different rules. Can someone make a quick summary of the current requirements by island, if they differ? Are the requirements for testing different for children? Does Kauai or any of the other islands still have a mandatory quarantine?

We have two weeks reserved to visit Kauai in August. I am assuming the travel requirements will probably be the same for that time frame but who knows.

As soon as someone makes that quick summary the rules change. That is why I always encourage travelers to visit the official State of Hawaii Covid-19 site. There is a link for travel to Hawaii with the specifics and a very good FAQ section. https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
As soon as someone makes that quick summary the rules change. That is why I always encourage travelers to visit the official State of Hawaii Covid-19 site. There is a link for travel to Hawaii with the specifics and a very good FAQ section. https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/

Yes that is what I suspected. I did find the info about Kauai. Not sure a trip this year makes sense since we will not have fun if we are quarantined for 10 out of 14 days. What a bummer. We were so excited about potentially going this year.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Yes that is what I suspected. I did find the info about Kauai. Not sure a trip this year makes sense since we will not have fun if we are quarantined for 10 out of 14 days. What a bummer. We were so excited about potentially going this year.

I believe you can avoid the mandatory quarantine on Kauai is stay on a neighbor island for 3 nights. That is kind of hassle, but am may be worth it for some.

The mayor of Kauai was on a podcast that i listened to earlier this week. He said they felt the quarantine works for Kauai because they have a higher percentage of timeshare rooms than other islands. In their view TS travel for multiple weeks at a time and would still come... Of course then he mentioned the all job loss due to the hotels only being at 18% occupancy... so a bit of a contradiction.

We had planned a trip for Kauai in early 2020, rescheduled it twice, then dropped it for 2021 as the rules just kept changing.. We are going to Maui in a few weeks, and they just changed their rules earlier this month, to require mandatory contact tracing.. that did not bother me, but i know others feel differently.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe you can avoid the mandatory quarantine on Kauai is stay on a neighbor island for 3 nights. That is kind of hassle, but am may be worth it for some.

The mayor of Kauai was on a podcast that i listened to earlier this week. He said they felt the quarantine works for Kauai because they have a higher percentage of timeshare rooms than other islands. In their view TS travel for multiple weeks at a time and would still come... Of course then he mentioned the all job loss due to the hotels only being at 18% occupancy... so a bit of a contradiction.

We had planned a trip for Kauai in early 2020, rescheduled it twice, then dropped it for 2021 as the rules just kept changing.. We are going to Maui in a few weeks, and they just changed their rules earlier this month, to require mandatory contact tracing.. that did not bother me, but i know others feel differently.

So if you stay on Oahu for 3 nights, is there no quarantine in Kauai regardless of what hotel you stay at? Marriott in Poipu is not part of the pod hotels.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
So if you stay on Oahu for 3 nights, is there no quarantine in Kauai regardless of what hotel you stay at? Marriott in Poipu is not part of the pod hotels.

That's my understanding, but you might need to retest while in Oahu. Having different rules for each island is confusing.

Here is the Kauai website,

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's my understanding, but you might need to retest while in Oahu. Having different rules for each island is confusing.

Here is the Kauai website,

It is so confusing. We will cancel if we need to test and quarantine. I am giving it a couple more months before canceling to see if Hawaii loosens up.

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
By August we hope all of these rules are history, no? I cancelled my Kauai March trip and booked Cabo for August instead. I’m hoping that, between mass vaccination and allegedly having reached the peak, we are in a better place to travel by July/August...

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you travel to Kaua'i you have to quarantine for three days at a Bubble Resort or 10 days at another hotel. They have added a couple of Bubble Resorts one of which is The Point at Po'ipu. That was great for us because we can do our three day quarantine there in our unit. The Poolside Bar and Grill is open for food and drink and apparently the Big Save in Koloa will deliver groceries. As far as the second test goes you can schedule it and they will will administer the test at The Point. You do have to wear a tracking bracelet so they can keep tabs on you.

Kaua'i will accept any FDA approved COVID Test: antigen or molecular. If you decide to go to one of the other islands first to avoid quarantine you will have to deal with the Preferred Providers for the pre-travel test and, I believe, the test before you fly to Kaua'i.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you decide to go to one of the other islands first to avoid quarantine you will have to deal with the Preferred Providers for the pre-travel test and, I believe, the test before you fly to Kaua'i.
As of right now, Get test and negative before you fly to another Island at least 72 hours on another Island. After that, get a negative test result within 72 hours of flying to Kauai. Right now, same is true for Maui for interisland but you can fly direct there.

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
As of right now, Get test and negative before you fly to another Island at least 72 hours on another Island. After that, get a negative test result within 72 hours of flying to Kauai. Right now, same is true for Maui for interisland but you can fly direct there.

My daughter and family are going to Hawaii in March. They are planning to go to Oahu and were hoping to then go to Maui 1 day later (arrive Oahu Friday night 8 p.m. and fly to Maui 7 p.m. on Saturday--23 hours later). She thinks that she won't be able to do that without an additional covid test. Is this true? The official website is hard to understand on this point. Thanks.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter and family are going to Hawaii in March. They are planning to go to Oahu and were hoping to then go to Maui 1 day later (arrive Oahu Friday night 8 p.m. and fly to Maui 7 p.m. on Saturday--23 hours later). She thinks that she won't be able to do that without an additional covid test. Is this true? The official website is hard to understand on this point. Thanks.
If you don't leave the airport than you are a connection and under trans-pacific rules. If you leave the airport then you fall under inter-island rules. (As of today.)

Papa2015

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten (3)
HGVC GP Marbrisa
Yes- spoke to gentleman at the Hawaii Tourism office this morning. I told him that we were flying int HNL on a Friday (in April), staying overnight before we leave for Big Island on Saturday. He informed me that in that case, I would have to re-test before flying to another island, only layovers in airport do not require re-testing. If flying the opposite way ( Big Island to Oahu) we would NOT have to test, as Oahu is the only island not requiring inter-island testing. Didn’t ask about Kauai. Phone number if you have questions-800 464-2924

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

Because of the need to do an additional test, it would be best to have Oahu as your last island thus not requiring an additional test.

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. I was afraid that was the case. They can't start in Maui because of flights. So, they will just spend their time on Oahu this trip.

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you travel to Kaua'i you have to quarantine for three days at a Bubble Resort or 10 days at another hotel. They have added a couple of Bubble Resorts one of which is The Point at Po'ipu. That was great for us because we can do our three day quarantine there in our unit. The Poolside Bar and Grill is open for food and drink and apparently the Big Save in Koloa will deliver groceries. As far as the second test goes you can schedule it and they will will administer the test at The Point. You do have to wear a tracking bracelet so they can keep tabs on you.

Kaua'i will accept any FDA approved COVID Test: antigen or molecular. If you decide to go to one of the other islands first to avoid quarantine you will have to deal with the Preferred Providers for the pre-travel test and, I believe, the test before you fly to Kaua'i.
It’s also pretty pricey to do the bubble with testing. Marriott charges $100 for the privilege of having their tracing bracelet and $200 for the test. That’s an additional $300 per person right there. There was talk that Hawaii would do some sort of vaccination waiver but that plan has been nixed. hawaii is considering possibly for Spring travel