• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Curly Hair? What products do you use?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
So I am back to basics. I was a curly hair gal and about 10 years ago my hair was breaking off and falling out. I started doing a Brazilian Process every few months and it stopped the hair loss. Every time I tried going back natural hair loss occurred again.

With the virus, I am back to natural and no hair loss is happening so will keep it growing and next month will venture for a curly cut.

Meanwhile it has been a long time since I used products for curly hair so asking what do you use and why do you like it? Does it have have a fragrance? Prefer the least or none. My biggest concern is moisture and containing the frizz.

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you like a soft mousse or a firmer gel? I always felt a firmer gel kept the curls in and frizz down. Let me know and I will write down the brands.
Since I started taking methotrexate for my RA, I have lost the curl, the body, and some hair.I actually miss the curls.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you like a soft mousse or a firmer gel? I always felt a firmer gel kept the curls in and frizz down. Let me know and I will write down the brands.
Since I started taking methotrexate for my RA, I have lost the curl, the body, and some hair.I actually miss the curls.
I really don’t know what I like. Just looking for something that works.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I really like the Paul Mitchell products for curly hair. I use the "full circle" leave-in (a leave-in is a *must* for me if I want to comb through it, LOL!) and will use both the "twirl around" styling product (for a firmer hold) and the Paul Mitchell "round trip" which is a lighter hold from the Express line. I have also used the "Say Yes to Coconut" leave-in product and found that effective.

I know folks rave about the DevaCurl line, and I bought some when the last of the PM stuff I had ran out. Really not all that impressed. I mean, it works, but not noticeably better.

The key for me was not using shampoo as much. I only wash with "regular" shampoo maybe every third time I shower/wash my hair. I rotate between that, the coconut shampoo from Alba Botanica (which doesn't foam at all,) and washing my hair *only* with the Alba Botanica coconut conditioner. That has been the difference in making my hair really shiny and less frizzy overall, without using alcohol-based products (which I really try to avoid, esp. in the leave-in products.)

NOTE: I don't blow dry my hair ever, anymore--gave that up in my early 20s, LOL! I spray/work in leave-in, comb through, add styling product, and then let air dry. Ain't nobody has time for anything else. ;)

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I really like the Paul Mitchell products for curly hair. I use the "full circle" leave-in (a leave-in is a *must* for me if I want to comb through it, LOL!) and will use both the "twirl around" styling product (for a firmer hold) and the Paul Mitchell "round trip" which is a lighter hold from the Express line. I have also used the "Say Yes to Coconut" leave-in product and found that effective.

I know folks rave about the DevaCurl line, and I bought some when the last of the PM stuff I had ran out. Really not all that impressed. I mean, it works, but not noticeably better.

The key for me was not using shampoo as much. I only wash with "regular" shampoo maybe every third time I shower/wash my hair. I rotate between that, the coconut shampoo from Alba Botanica (which doesn't foam at all,) and washing my hair *only* with the Alba Botanica coconut conditioner. That has been the difference in making my hair really shiny and less frizzy overall, without using alcohol-based products (which I really try to avoid, esp. in the leave-in products.)

NOTE: I don't blow dry my hair ever, anymore--gave that up in my early 20s, LOL! I spray/work in leave-in, comb through, add styling product, and then let air dry. Ain't nobody has time for anything else. ;)
Is there a strong scent with the Paul Mitchell products? My hair is wavy curly, not a very tight curl but gets frizzy. What is your hair like?

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Same. Not ringlets, and not really tight curls. Wavy curly. Working on my #whitegirlfullfro during the #quarantimes, in the sense that it can get puffy and big. ;) Usually in some kind of layers, because it can get very heavy.

Not a strong scent at all, if any. And I'm a very olfactory person...I worked for The Body Shop Int'l for many years, so I tend to remember and discern scents pretty well.

JoeWilly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too funny - I was just thinking about getting the brazillian process again to get rid of my curls.

I use the DevaCurl No Poo Shampoo and Conditioner. There is a scent (kind of a medical scent) but my hair doesn't smell like that after using it. My stylist said these products put moisture in your hair and it helps with frizz. My hair is a lot less frizzy since using the DevaCurl products that I've been using for about one year.

My stylist also recommended these products (I don't think they have a scent) to leave in my hair. I use a combination of all three after washing and shampooing my hair. I mix all three together in my hands, then rub through my hair. I do not comb them in. I let my hair air dry.
Argon oil (small amount)​
Moroccanoil Beach Wave Mousse​
Moroccanoil Curl Defining Cream​

My hair was wavy curly too, more wave than curls with frizz. When using these products and twisting my hair with my fingers, I get nice looking curls, definately not waves. These products combined with a hair cut for curls (a few more layers), gives me nice looking results.

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also have curly hair and have had keratin done for about 5 years. I couldn’t find a good salon near me when we moved, so I taught myself to keratin my own hair since my hair is short it’s not too bad. I buy the product on Amazon. Brazilian keratin hair treatment Original strength.

So I know this doesn’t answer your question, but sharing a possible option .

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too funny - I was just thinking about getting the brazillian process again to get rid of my curls.

If you do a Brazilian process I suggest only the Brazilian Blowout Brand. I am super sensitive with chemicals and this was the only brand that I had no reaction from. My hair is beautiful and easily managed with the process. Just a pain to sit for hours.

With the virus, figured I really don’t want to be in a salon for many hours so it is an opportunity to try the curls again. I will go to the salon to get a haircut next month.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I also have curly hair and have had keratin done for about 5 years. I couldn’t find a good salon near me when we moved, so I taught myself to keratin my own hair since my hair is short it’s not too bad. I buy the product on Amazon. Brazilian keratin hair treatment Original strength.

So I know this doesn’t answer your question, but sharing a possible option .
My hair is long. Definitely could do it on my own but do I want to? I might do it myself to smooth my bangs. They were the worse spot of frizz of my whole head, seems the same now.