• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

curious questions

m&mtravel

Reaction score
I'm booking 13 months out at 6 am for some reservations and it is often hit and miss to get even one. Is there a way to book before the 13 month window using Travel Share ?

If the earliest is at 13 months for booking, and they are all gone..how are others booking them? Is there some kind of program that allows even earlier bookings or privileges with more points/accounts?

Are you the type to book last minute getaways? Oh yeah, and often less than 1 week (sometimes 3-4 nights only are available).

How last minute is last minute? I am good with a couple of weeks and within driving distance but not across the country the next day. Are the 3-4 days the weekend or are they in the middle of the week? Do you know if you can put say my name and my parents on the same contract so we both might be able to use it?

thisnis a great unit at a great price ending in 20 min for RCI points

That looks like a fun place, I haven't really studied getting a unit for the sole RCI points. From my little understanding RCI tends to be the left over pickings?? Is that correct or am I completely off base? I am intrigued why this would be a great unit. I like understanding what my best options might be.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Nope. If you watch the availability calendar and weeks are disappearing a day ahead of time, that's the renters taking control. It's their reaction to the booking restrictions on red season booking; i.e. getting rid of throw away days.

Thanks. I get it. Instead of using a studio at low season resort to start a reservation which is no longer allowed, a reservation must be made with all days at the same resort so you just eat a few days if you are lucky. I have done this before and it worked out pretty good for my family members. It is easier said than done.

So I guess the summer 3 bedroom units and penthouses at Seaside are getting caught up in a 30 day reservation.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
If the earliest is at 13 months for booking, and they are all gone..how are others booking them? Is there some kind of program that allows even earlier bookings or privileges with more points/accounts?

All members can make the reservations 13 months out and can take up to 30 days with the reservation. It would require alot of points but many people have alot of points, lol.

Bill

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
That looks like a fun place, I haven't really studied getting a unit for the sole RCI points. From my little understanding RCI tends to be the left over pickings?? Is that correct or am I completely off base? I am intrigued why this would be a great unit. I like understanding what my best options might be.

RCI is an exchange company and they have a resort directory. These exchange companies operate independently from developer systems. They get inventory from units deposited by owners/resorts.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
why? Because they want to travel? Why does anyone get into owning a timeshare? The fact they are seeking out information TUG is enough to answer that question.
Most people who 'like to travel' would feel constrained by timeshares if that's the only way they travel. For instance I believe there are only 2 resorts in NYC and one in SF, lots of cities have none. Being constrained to destinations that are mostly resort-style 'escapes' from city life doesn't suit everyone.

Why buy a timeshare as opposed to renting a timeshare? as opposed to using airBnB, VRBO, etc? as opposed to tent camping or RVing? as opposed to just using hotels?

Not everyone is the same. There are specific answers to those questions that make timeshares more suitable for some people than for others. For instance, if the answer is simply 'to save money' then it's probably a bad idea. You can often rent for the same or cheaper. If the answer is 'we want a vacation home experience' then fixed unit, fixed week timeshares are a really good idea. If the answer is 'my friend said it's fun' then they should probably rent first. If the answer is 'I like spreading out the costs over the year and planning well in advance' then timeshares work well. Or the answer is, 'I want flexibility in my traveling but once a year I want a no hassle relaxation resort experience' then a timeshare could make a lot of sense.

I’ve never heard of anyone ratting someone out for having more than the allotted people in a room. By the time you’re going to figure out someone else’s room occupancy they would be checking out of the room. Unless of course someone is extremely loud and disruptive I can’t see who would care. I don’t think most would care if someone packs a room with 6 people that’s for 4.
There have been posts in this forum about people getting ratted out or otherwise getting caught for having too many people in their units. There have been big, heated discussions about the appropriateness of lying or sneaking in children over occupancy. I think you can just search the term occupancy to see.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Most people who 'like to travel' would feel constrained by timeshares if that's the only way they travel. For instance I believe there are only 2 resorts in NYC and one in SF, lots of cities have none. Being constrained to destinations that are mostly resort-style 'escapes' from city life doesn't suit everyone.

Why buy a timeshare as opposed to renting a timeshare? as opposed to using airBnB, VRBO, etc? as opposed to tent camping or RVing? as opposed to just using hotels?

Not everyone is the same. There are specific answers to those questions that make timeshares more suitable for some people than for others. For instance, if the answer is simply 'to save money' then it's probably a bad idea. You can often rent for the same or cheaper. If the answer is 'we want a vacation home experience' then fixed unit, fixed week timeshares are a really good idea. If the answer is 'my friend said it's fun' then they should probably rent first. If the answer is 'I like spreading out the costs over the year and planning well in advance' then timeshares work well. Or the answer is, 'I want flexibility in my traveling but once a year I want a no hassle relaxation resort experience' then a timeshare could make a lot of sense.

There have been posts in this forum about people getting ratted out or otherwise getting caught for having too many people in their units. There have been big, heated discussions about the appropriateness of lying or sneaking in children over occupancy. I think you can just search the term occupancy to see.
My answer wasn’t that everyone who “likes to travel” has to own a timeshare. Yet, all people who own a timeshare like to travel. I can’t think of any other reason why they would own a timeshare, other than wanting to go to the same resort or exchange for other resorts. Which means they like to travel. Owning a timeshare doesn’t mean it’s the only way you have to travel.

I’m sure there are only a small set of “Rats” out there. Luckily I don’t need to worry about them because I usually don’t put anywhere near the max occupancy in a room. I’ll get a two bedroom lockoff for 3 people. But thanks for the info.

m&mtravel

Reaction score
RCI is an exchange company and they have a resort directory. These exchange companies operate independently from developer systems. They get inventory from units deposited by owners/resorts.

I found a rough point chart to get an idea of what the exchange rate would be for 89k points. I am curious on if I would still have a hard time reserving a 3 bed/2 bed with the school schedule or would I have a better chance of finding more availability with a wider range of timeshares in RCI?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I found a rough point chart to get an idea of what the exchange rate would be for 89k points. I am curious on if I would still have a hard time reserving a 3 bed/2 bed with the school schedule or would I have a better chance of finding more availability with a wider range of timeshares in RCI?
It depends. 3 bedrooms are harder to find. You’ll prob be able to get a 2 bedroom and possibly a one bedroom. Again depends where. I’ve seen some units go for 20K which means you can get 4 one bedrooms. Also keep in mind many resorts have a 1 in 3 or 1 in 4

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
What's with all of the negativity here? True, three bedroom units are rare, but two bedroom units are common, even in Hawaii. And it is also true that there are few timeshares in major cities (although I can think of six in San Francisco, not only one, although none have three bedroom units).

But if OP's goal is one family trip per year with kids and parents -- and they have survived family trips in an Airstream -- timesharing will work for the one trip. It may require two units or some crowding, but access to a kitchen is of significant value (especially with four kids). And if it's Worldmark, it will be less expensive than comparable hotel suites and more predictable than Air B&B's.

m&mtravel

Reaction score
But if OP's goal is one family trip per year with kids and parents -- and they have survived family trips in an Airstream -- timesharing will work for the one trip. It may require two units or some crowding, but access to a kitchen is of significant value (especially with four kids). And if it's Worldmark, it will be less expensive than comparable hotel suites and more predictable than Air B&B's.

That about sums up what the goal is. Thanks for your reply