• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Curious on your dental expenses

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Maybe more true of individual policies? I've always found my big corporate policies to be a terrific value.
When I was covered through work our dental premiums were reasonable and well worth it. After I retired I was still covered until I reached 65. Now I can purchase dental coverage, but it doesn't make sense due to the premiums, and that the cost of procedures isn't covered fully.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
When I was covered through work our dental premiums were reasonable and well worth it. After I retired I was still covered until I reached 65. Now I can purchase dental coverage, but it doesn't make sense due to the premiums, and that the cost of procedures isn't covered fully.

Yeah- and the premiums were taken out of our paychecks pre tax, making them even more affordable.

Actually we pay $36 every 2 weeks for it out of my husband' check. Plus his employer credits $8.18 per paycheck for it, essentially bringing it down to $63 per month for the 2 of us. The plan caps at $1500 and is an Aetna PPO. I believe COBRA for it will be $79.00 for both of us per month if we choose to continue it.I also think VIA Benefits has plans that are around $35 per person. But again, these have to be paid with after tax money. Plus the Via Benefits ones cap at $1000. The there are deductibles and networks and co pays.

With now having to pay big bucks for hubby's Medicare supplement (we are choosing Plan F btw) and my Cobra health insurance, we are taking dental insurance off the table.

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Insurance *should* cost you money, on average. The point of insurance is that you are buying a reduction in the risk of experiencing large losses. Even if the carrier paid out 100% of the premiums, most people would end up spending a little more so that some people could avoid huge charges.

This is why I don't e.g. buy trip insurance most of the time, nor do I buy the extended warranties on most electronics. I'm willing to just eat the loss if something goes wrong with those. But, for a large non-refundable trip (like a cruise) I buy it.

Some of this is hidden by employer contributions. For example, mine pays the full cost of premiums for a basic dental plan. It covers routine cleanings and preventative care. I think I pay all (or maybe just most) of any other work. I can kick in to get better coverage, but our teeth are generally in good shape, so I haven't bothered.

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
mpumilia, what made you go with plan F for,your husbands supplemental? Hope my husband made the right decision. We were used to primo health insurance for free so I want good insurance

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
mpumilia, what made you go with plan F for,your husbands supplemental? Hope my husband made the right decision. We were used to primo health insurance for free so I want good insurance

You know, it was either G or F as they are the most comprehensive with no or little out of pocket costs.

Ok- so the F premium was $240 more per year than the G. But the G has the Part B deductible that has to be met first- for 2020 that is $197. For the few bucks more per month for F- and the fact that I believe the Part B deductible and G plan premiums will continue to go up as more people will not be able to sign up for F anymore and choose G as the next best option, I felt it was worth it for him to take F and not have to meet the Part B deductible.

Then when I am eligible for Medicare in 2021, more than likely I will take G since F will no longer be offered. Therefore- diversification of Medigap plans in the household. LOL!

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe more true of individual policies? I've always found my big corporate policies to be a terrific value.
That was true for us too, in the good old days. Coverage for a family of 7 was wonderful and worth the premiums we paid. Everyone got in twice a year.

Brett

Reaction score
In the good old days I had a family member who was a dentist :)
now it's $300 a year which includes two cleanings and xrays

aandmrun

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I are fortunate to be signed up for dental care at the UCLA school of dentistry. We get excellent service with state of the art equipment. The Professors that oversee the students are certified dentists. Not all work is done by the students, if it is complicated, a resident dentist will do the work. The prices are reasonable and they also take our Delta Dental insurance. I highly recommend anyone that has access to University programs, that you look into it. It is a process to sign up and be accepted, but once you become a patient, you are given a long range plan that you schedule according to your schedule and needs.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
In the good old days I had a family member who was a dentist :)
now it's $300 a year which includes two cleanings and xrays
Growing up my grandfather was my dentist, then when he retired my uncle stepped in. I didn't have a non family dentist until I moved out of the area when I was in my 30's. It was quite traumatic. At that time my uncle helped my find a dentist in my new location by contacting the dean of his dental school and getting a referral. Since then, I've been on my own. But having my grandfather as my dentist all those years instilled some expectations in me, it also made it so that I don't fear going to the dentist. When you're allowed to play with the chairs and the spit bowls it takes a lot of the fear out of the office. :D

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
If someone is selling you insurance of any kind, they are making money on it. My belief is that you should insure only for major disasters...events that would devastate you if you had to pay out of packet. Major automobile accidents are an example, as is life insurance when you have family that depends on your income. Also home insurance for fires floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, subsidence, etc., and major medical expenses. Otherwise you will save in the long run if you self-insure for the lesser impositions on your pocketbook.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If someone is selling you insurance of any kind, they are making money on it. My belief is that you should insure only for major disasters...events that would devastate you if you had to pay out of packet. Major automobile accidents are an example, as is life insurance when you have family that depends on your income. Also home insurance for fires floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, subsidence, etc., and major medical expenses. Otherwise you will save in the long run if you self-insure for the lesser impositions on your pocketbook.
Ah but you can come out ahead with dental insurance. I pay $300 per year and it covers 2 free cleaning and xrays and up to $1500 per year in coverage. I had a pain which came on suddenly and the dentist did a bunch of xrays and tests and told me that there was no problem and it would settle down. My insurance paid this claim and it cost me nothing.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Ah but you can come out ahead with dental insurance. I pay $300 per year and it covers 2 free cleaning and xrays and up to $1500 per year in coverage. I had a pain which came on suddenly and the dentist did a bunch of xrays and tests and told me that there was no problem and it would settle down. My insurance paid this claim and it cost me nothing.
You have very good dental insurance then. What I would have been able to purchase didn't cover anything completely.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I paid $150. for the same 3 services. No insurance, no discounts.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
This is a Dental PPO add-on insurance offered by my private market individual medical insurer. It was a no brainer.
The problem we had with dental PPOs, when they were offered through the company I worked for, was that they did not cover the dentist we used. We wanted to stay with him, so took the less comprehensive coverage that allowed us to use anyone.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem we had with dental PPOs, when they were offered through the company I worked for, was that they did not cover the dentist we used. We wanted to stay with him, so took the less comprehensive coverage that allowed us to use anyone.
It is less of an issue for me because we are new to the area and we found that most dentists we have here are bad (I posted earlier) and it took several tries to find a good one.