• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cure for Winter Blahs?

mamiecarter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our dog trainer says we cant go anywhere till the puppy grows up a bit. Anyone have any cures for the Winter Blahs?

My solutions:

I walk the dogs a lot.
Bought new SmartWool hiking socks. My feet feel so good. (50% of at Sierra Trading Post)
Bought new supper cuddly mattress pad cheap at Overstock.com
Shop on line a lot
Catch up on sleep

Problems:
The news on the media is mostly bad
It is too cold
Snow is yukky if you don't ski

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hawaii. Leave the dog with friends.

-David

mamiecarter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much!!!

I am so gratefull for your kind invitation. We can arrive next monday and stay for 3 weeks!!!!

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our dog trainer says we cant go anywhere till the puppy grows up a bit. Anyone have any cures for the Winter Blahs?

My solutions:

I walk the dogs a lot.
Bought new SmartWool hiking socks. My feet feel so good. (50% of at Sierra Trading Post)
Shop on line a lot
Catch up on sleep

Problems:
The news on the media is mostly bad
It is too cold

I found Sierra Trading Post looking for ski pants for myself. $29 :banana: and some ski gloves for $7! And this was before Xmas! I'm going to check them out for some kids outerwear.

Didn't want to spend a lot because DH calls me "mole woman" when it comes to doing stuff in the winter. Well I'm off to Boyne Mtn, MI for Pres day weekend for tubing, snow shoeing, XC skiing. DH wants me to take downhill lessons:hysterical: that should be interesting.

I'm sick of snow, this Jan. in NW OH is now #1 in the record book for snow, beating out Jan 1978, when we had the great blizzard.

NTHC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Panama City Beach, Las Vegas, Massanutten
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Regal Vista, Wyndham, Bluegreen, Diamond
I DO NOT like winter! I never have. From New Year's to spring is the longest time of the entire year for me. I am in VA so those living North and West will most certainly call me a wimp, but I do have some things I do to help me get through this glum time of year.

1. Buy new make up
2. Go to the tanning bed once or twice a month...I know it isn't healthy, but it sure feels great to put on a swim suit and feel the sun on my face.
3. Start a fire in the fireplace...almost nightly. I love the crackle and it makes the house so warm.
4. Go to kickboxing...the only time I exercise inside is in the winter, but it gives me an excuse to get up on cold mornings.
5. Take naps...it's really hard to nap in the evenings when the sun is coming through the windows in the summer.
6. Watch basketball on tv. Both kids play and I am a college basketball fan so we always have a bet going on the game of the day.
7. Plan my summer vacation.
8. And of course, post on TUG!

Wow, I feel better already!

My BIL and his wife live in Wisconsin and I just can not imagine how they can get through a winter.

Cindy

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just remember your new puppy will be very grateful for your sacrifice! :)

Stay warm, read some good books, and look forward to spring. It's not too far away! ;)

Cheers!

Kevin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Change your mindset!

;)

My solutions:

I walk the dogs a lot.
Shop on line a lot
Catch up on sleep

Problems:
The news on the media is mostly bad. It is too cold

My #1 suggestion would be... STOP watching the news! My In-laws watch CNN, Fox and others all night. They are miserable people because of it!

#2 - Plan your next vacation. Print out the photos and as much information about the places you want to go and post them all over the house.

#3- Exercise and play with your dog!

#4- Wake up each day, open the windows, look out at the white snow and think how great it is to actually have "seasons" to enjoy!

Have a great day!! :)

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our annual mid-winter 'fix' is Mexico. Leaving this afternoon. A week at Coronado Beach, then a Holland America balcony cabin for a week. Sure will miss you all. Will try to keep in touch, but not too hard.

Jim Ricks

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
It's been a very long winter in Minnesota, too, with January never reaching 32 degrees for our usual "January thaw." After exercising last week, I sat in the sauna for about 20 minutes. It was wonderful to be warm all the way through after being cold for so long!

Otherwise I read lots, bake bread, play with the dog and count the days til spring break.

Aussiedog

TUG Member
Reaction score

Buy timeshares on EBay!!

Oh wait - that was last year's cure!!

Never mind.......:hysterical:

Ann

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Find the "all-inclusive" dog trainer - one who returns the dog in 8 weeks trained ... that gives you 8 weeks of Hawaii or Florida vacationing and warmth.:D

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
The winter blahs are caused by short day-length. Shortage of sunlight can cause depression. Working inside, especially in an office without windows, can exasperate the problem. Exercise is known to improve mood. Get a SADD light and use it while you exercise.

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Boat Drinks!

Boat drinks
Boys in the band ordered boat drinks
Visitors scored on the home rink
Everything seems to be wrong

Lately, newspaper mentioned cheap air fare
I gotta to fly to saint somewhere
Im close to bodily harm

Twenty degrees and the hockey games on
Nobody cares they are way too far gone
Screamin boat drinks, something to keep em all warm

This mornin, I shot six holes in my freezer
I think I got cabin fever
Somebody sound the alarm

Id like to go where the pace of lifes slow
Could you beam me somewhere mr. scott?
Any ol place here on earth or in space
You pick the century and Ill pick the spot

Oh I know, (I know)
I should be leaving this climate
I got a verse but cant rhyme it
I gotta go where its warm

Boat drinks
Waitress I need two more boat drinks
Then Im headin south fore my dream shrinks

I gotta go where its warm (I gotta go where its warm)
I gotta go where its warm (I gotta go where its warm)
I gotta go where its warm!

I gotta go where there aint any snow
Where there aint any blow
cause my fin sinks so low
I gotta go where its warm

- jimmy buffett

;) Not really. Alcohol's a depressant, but you knew that.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
During our recent cold spells I have been organizing closets, DVD's, CD's, kitchen cupboards, and we even steam cleaned our carpet and turned the heat up to get it dry quicker. Today, I plan to organize my bills and desk. We donated a whole lot of stuff to the Salvation Army.

I bought some plastic sleeves for my music CD's. alphabetized them, and put the 300 CD's into the media drawers of my desk. Amazing how many you can put into a small space, when they are in the sleeves and no longer in the jewel cases.

The DVD's were more difficult because I didn't want them to get scratched, so I bought nicer sleeves with a cotton-y interior on the sleeves, and I alphabetized them and put them in the TV/Audio cabinet.

It makes me happy to be highly organized. I am anxious to tackle the yard in April.

I still need to tackle all four of the bathroom vanities and medicine cabinets. Now that will be fun!

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
During our recent cold spells I have been organizing closets, DVD's, CD's, kitchen cupboards, and we even steam cleaned our carpet and turned the heat up to get it dry quicker. Today, I plan to organize my bills and desk. We donated a whole lot of stuff to the Salvation Army.

It makes me happy to be highly organized. I am anxious to tackle the yard in April.

I still need to tackle all four of the bathroom vanities and medicine cabinets. Now that will be fun!

When you finish, can you please come do my house? :)

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not trying to gloat, BUT a great solution is to spend many weeks in Mexico. I am in Puerto Vallarta right now. It will be about 80 or so today.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Coronado (San Diego) is right pleasant this morning. Patio door is open. Surf is splashing on the beach. It will be 78 in a while. Mexico next week will be fine, too. Unfortunately, the groundhog saw it's shadow and we'll be home before the 6 weeks more winter is done. Oh well.

Jim Ricks

dmbrand

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
We live in Wisconsin; these winter months can be long. I take this opportunity to go through the closets, basement, drawers, etc., and find items that we really don't use/need anymore. Our Goodwill and St. Vinney's centers are begging for items right now.

Having a sense of humor goes along way also. We had a "balmy" 30 degrees yesterday, and took our dog for a walk along a trail. Was kind of fun meeting up with all the snowmobilers sharing the trail. They were all very respectful of us and slowed down.

That being said, my sister and I are escaping this Friday for San Antonio!!:banana: One can only take boots, parkas, shovels, dead batteries, and icy roads for so long!

Puppies are sooo adorable; do you have a picture? DawnB

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have a yard

Plan a garden. Send for some garden catalogs or search online.....Visit an arboretem.

mamiecarter

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Cure for Winter Blahs is Spring.

Spring is just around the corner. More daylight. Hurray!!
April here we come!