• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cruises to start from US this month?????

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I've read the entire thread carefully. I don't know if they can ask for your vaccine status. It's HIPAA information and not even my workplace that is demanding all employees be vaccinated to return to the offices can ask us. Instead they've asked us to voluntarily identify.
Why is that a HIPAA violation? Schools ask for vaccine records for kids all the time.

You might find this interesting. I did.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
They (the cruise line) cannot ask for vaccine status in the state of Florida. But once they sail into international waters (3 miles ) off the coast. A cruise line can ask for your vaccine status. IMHO.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
They (the cruise line) cannot ask for vaccine status in the state of Florida. But once they sail into international waters (3 miles ) off the coast. A cruise line can ask for your vaccine status. IMHO.
What good does it do for them at that point, you are already on the ship.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
What good does it do for them at that point, you are already on the ship.
Maybe they can quarantine them in their cabin and put them off at the next stop. [Only partially kidding]

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cruise lines already ask all kinds of rather prying questions on embarkation. Like "Have you had diarrhea today?" or "Do you feel sick?" or "Got a fever?" Not sure about the int'l waters bit, but as long as they have facilities for unvaxxed onboard- separate dining- no shows, no pool access, limited shore excursions, let 'em ask. It's the unvaxxed that put themselves at risk.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Cruise lines already ask all kinds of rather prying questions on embarkation. Like "Have you had diarrhea today?" or "Do you feel sick?" or "Got a fever?" Not sure about the int'l waters bit, but as long as they have facilities for unvaxxed onboard- separate dining- no shows, no pool access, limited shore excursions, let 'em ask. It's the unvaxxed that put themselves at risk.
These forms were all theater. Here is the questions on the form vs. what they were really asking you;

Have you had diarrhea today? - Do you want to be denied boarding the ship today?
Do you feel sick? - Do you want to miss your vacation with no reimbursement from the cruise line?
Got a fever - Do you like the thought of a flight back home today at your expense?

Did anyone ever answer Yes to any of those questions?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
I've read the entire thread carefully. I don't know if they can ask for your vaccine status. It's HIPAA information and not even my workplace that is demanding all employees be vaccinated to return to the offices can ask us. Instead they've asked us to voluntarily identify.

Yes, they are allowed to ask and no it is not a HIPPA violation. This is the beginning of an article from an article in the Washington Post May 22, 2021 (not posting link; it is behind a paywall and although I subscribe they seem to be oddly goofed up about online access):

Explaining HIPAA: No, it doesn’t ban questions about your vaccination status

HIPAA, which deals with health privacy, is one of the “most misunderstood statutes in existence,” one expert said.

By Allyson Chiu

I could not agree more; I am a physician and most MD's don't understand HIPAA at all except the important proviso that they cannot give out people's health info without their permission. Which is true, and important. Cruise lines can't call you MD and ask them for your status. But cruise lines, airlines etc. are allowed to ask. You don't need to answer, but they are allowed to tell you that passengers need to be vaccinated. There are several articles out there about the details (a hot topic these days and HIPAA comes up a lot) and a simple search will turn them up.

Last edited:

TimeshareTraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen ShoreCrest,
Massanutten Summit,
Eagle Point,
You are correct, they can ask. I was incorrect to use HIPAA, though workplaces still can't ask because of side-HIPAA issues that could arise. They are asking for self-identification if they hold your livelihood in their hands.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
You are correct, they can ask. I was incorrect to use HIPAA, though workplaces still can't ask because of side-HIPAA issues that could arise. They are asking for self-identification if they hold your livelihood in their hands.

Not to belabor the point, but The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) is a federal law that required the creation of national standards to protect sensitive patient health information from being disclosed without the patient's consent or knowledge. It protects people from others - MD's, insurance companies etc. - from disclosing their health information without explicit consent.

The whole vaccine issue is not a HIPAA issue, or a side-issue of it; no one is disclosing any information about anyone without their consent. It is related to employment law and what employees need or can be required to disclose themselves.

It is easy to see why these issues get conflated in the issue of confidentiality, but the central issue is not the same. Whatever one thinks about what employers should or should not be asking or for what reason, it is the employees who are in charge, not their physicians or their insurance company who are constrained by HIPAA.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think employers generally avoid asking about health status to avoid lawsuits. If you perhaps disclose you are ill, they may want to avoid the added medical costs so they terminate the employee. Thus opening them up for a wrongful termination suit.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Was it ever determined what caused the massive outbreaks on the cruise ships at the start of all of this? I can understand the easy spread being that alot of activities are indoors in rooms with a bunch of people. But, was it ever discovered if the ventilation systems had anything to do with it or not?