• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cruise: Los Angeles and Acapulco

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two of our ports of call are:
Los Angeles (San Pedro) and Acapulco.

We don't plan of taking shore excursions at either ports.
Are there any recommendations, within walking distance, from the ship ?

Or... should we breakdown and opt for a excursion ?

Thank You :)

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
In San Pedro you can see the new water fountain attraction (a mini Bellagio) right at the cruise terminal, ride the red car and go over to Ports O' Call Village. You can also walk downtown San Pedro.

I love San Pedro (we used to live there and my kids go to the Port of Los Angeles High School in downtown SP), but it's still mainly a working class town, without much tourism activities yet. Though they are working to improve tourist facilities, it will be a few years before the master plans all come to fruition.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
In San Pedro you can see the new water fountain attraction (a mini Bellagio) right at the cruise terminal, ride the red car and go over to Ports O' Call Village. You can also walk downtown San Pedro. I love San Pedro (we used to live there and my kids go to the Port of Los Angeles High School in downtown SP), but it's still mainly a working class town, without much tourism activities yet. Though they are working to improve tourist facilities, it will be a few years before the master plans all come to fruition.

Thanks for your speedy reply Rick !!! :banana:
We haven't been to Ports O' Call Village in AGES !!!!

Circa 1978 ?????
Long before my cruising and timeshare days.

I didn't realize that it was that close to the ship terminal.

Doug

ajlm33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Acapulco

We were in Acapulco on the Disney Magic a couple of months ago and opted for a "City Tour" excursion. It included a tour of the old Spanish fort (which is just accross the street from the pier), the downtown shopping district, and of course a trip out to see the world famous cliff divers. Also visited an old hotel on the coast once owned by John Wayne and Johnny Westmuller (Tarzan) with its spectacular views of the coastline. Nothing is real close to the pier except the old fort. Also, taxis were plentiful, but were all the small VW beatles.

Acapulco, on the whole, didn't impress us that much, but for $45 each for the guided 4-hour tour bus ride and stops, it gave us the hightlights of the city we desired without the hassle of taxis or walking in an unfamiliar town.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try a cruise forum. They will have some suggestions.

Thanks AutoEng :)

I didn't realize there was a Cruise Forum on TUG.
Learn something new every day.

Will look for it and cruise that forum :D

The jokes on me:
There is NO Cruise forum on TUG.

Last edited:

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try "Cruise Critic", they have a really good BBS, with a lot of cruisers posting there.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your speedy reply Rick !!! :banana:
We haven't been to Ports O' Call Village in AGES !!!!

Circa 1978 ?????
Long before my cruising and timeshare days.

I didn't realize that it was that close to the ship terminal.

Doug

Unfortunately, Port's O' Call, probably hasn't changed that much since 1978! :( :eek:

But, it is within walking distance to the cruise terminal. Both the terminal and Port's O' Call are on the main channel of the harbor. The cruise ship will pass Ports O' Call as she comes in and as she leaves.

If you happen to be there on a weekend or a Friday night, it's quite a festive affair at Port's O Call. There is a large open eating area and you can buy fresh fish & have it cooked to order, eat outside and listen to Mariachi music from strolling bands.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were in Acapulco on the Disney Magic a couple of months ago and opted for a "City Tour" excursion. It included a tour of the old Spanish fort (which is just accross the street from the pier), the downtown shopping district, and of course a trip out to see the world famous cliff divers. Also visited an old hotel on the coast once owned by John Wayne and Johnny Westmuller (Tarzan) with its spectacular views of the coastline. Nothing is real close to the pier except the old fort. Also, taxis were plentiful, but were all the small VW beatles..... Acapulco, on the whole, didn't impress us that much, but for $45 each for the guided 4-hour tour bus ride and stops, it gave us the hightlights of the city we desired without the hassle of taxis or walking in an unfamiliar town.

Hi ajlm33 :wave:

Many, many, years back... we took a lot of vacations to Mexico.
(Mexico City, Guadalajara, Taxco, Zihuatanero, Ixtapa, Puerto Vallata, etc. etc.)

I imagine Acapulco has changed enough that we wouldn't recognize the place.

So... we MIGHT opt for a short excursion.

Thanks !!!

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try "Cruise Critic", they have a really good BBS, with a lot of cruisers posting there.

Thanks Elli !

We've done that and printed several of the ship reviews.
But TUG'ers are easier to "talk" with. :D

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Port's O' Call, probably hasn't changed that much since 1978! :( :eek:

LOL !!!!!:rofl:

But, it is within walking distance to the cruise terminal.

Goody !!!
We'll walk instead of hopping on the "red car" train.

Thanks... Doug

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Taxis aren't that expensive there, especially when you figure out what the cheapest shore excursion would be. Why not just hire a taxi for a two hour tour or so? Make sure to agree on an amount beforehand, of course.

Fern

Hi ajlm33 :wave:

Many, many, years back... we took a lot of vacations to Mexico.
(Mexico City, Guadalajara, Taxco, Zihuatanero, Ixtapa, Puerto Vallata, etc. etc.)

I imagine Acapulco has changed enough that we wouldn't recognize the place.

So... we MIGHT opt for a short excursion.

Thanks !!!

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Taxis aren't that expensive there, especially when you figure out what the cheapest shore excursion would be. Why not just hire a taxi for a two hour tour or so? Make sure to agree on an amount beforehand, of course. Fern

During one of our cruises, a port call was at "MoBay" (Montego Bay, Jamaica).
Didi and I chartered a taxi for half a day.
Don't remember what it cost us but it was pretty cheap.

We agreed on a price and also agreed that we would pay him AFTER he returned us to the ship.

Had a great time.
He took a nap in his cab while we swam at a public beach.
Took us to a "local" restaurant where we had a real "Jerk" Chicken lunch.
No "building"... just a small shack where they grilled the chicken and sat at picnic tables and downed the Chicken with Jamaican Red Stripe Beer :banana:

Thanks for the reminder !!!

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update !!!!

UPDATE !!!!

Thank you to all who responded to my original post :wave:

Had a great cruise !
Cruised from San Francisco to Santiago, Chile.
Flew back from Santiago to OAK.

Port Calls were:

* San Pedro Harbor, Los Angeles
* Acapulco, Mexico
* Puerto Quetzal, Guatamala
* Puentarenas, Costa Rica
* Manta, Ecuador
* Lima, Peru
* Arica, Chile
* Coquimbo, Chile
* Santiago, Chile

Every few days, we had to advance our watches an hour before going to bed.
By the time we reached Chile, we were five hours ahead of California time.

Saw and learned a lot about the peoples, cultures, cuisines and products of the various countries.

Amazing !!!

BTW:
For any cruisers stopping at San Pedro.
Do NOT bother getting off the ship at San Pedro !
And Ports O'Call was a BIG disappointment.
Hardly any people around.
The area hasn't been properly maintained.
Most of the shops were closed, even tho two ships were in port that day.
The shops that were open featured "50% Off" sales.​

Everything else was G-R-E-A-T !!!! :whoopie: