• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cruise Lines Fear Another Lost Summer

Brett

Reaction score

Industry has been idled while awaiting a green light from CDC; port workers are among those affected

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cruise-lines-fear-another-lost-summer-11616405401

Like the rest of the maritime tourism industry, Port Canaveral was mothballed at the start of the coronavirus pandemic. One year on, as other parts of the economy blink back to life, the U.S. cruise industry is waiting anxiously for Washington’s go-ahead to sail again—and worried that a second summer season is about to be lost.

Other countries including Singapore, Italy and the U.K. have authorized cruises or set a clear target date for them to set sail. Almost 400,000 passengers have sailed since some countries first began allowing cruises in July 2020, according to the industry’s trade group.

But to get started in the U.S., the cruise industry needs direction from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The CDC lifted its no-sail order in October and replaced it with a conditional set of rules; industry officials said the 40 pages of rules are either indecipherable or impractical, such as a measure requiring cruise lines to conduct “simulated voyages” with volunteer passengers. “I refer to it as the ‘impossible-to-sail order’ because no business could operate profitably,” said Capt. John Murray, Port Canaveral’s chief executive officer.

Alaska-bound cruises face an extra hurdle. Most of those ships are foreign-flagged, so they would have to make a stop in Canada, because U.S.
law forbids such ships from carrying passengers between U.S. ports. The problem: Canada has banned cruises until February 2022.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
And the CDC director- when asked directly by a Senator from Alaska on timelines, guidance etc- hemmed, hawed, and brushed off the question :rolleyes:. It may not be a priority for CDC but for people whose livelihoods are gone it’s a matter of importance. Easy to forget when an entire industry is shut down it affects a long supply chain as well, not just the customers. Only the cruise industry has had this happen in USA for over a year with NO activity.

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd wager that they fear the fairly common belief among the affluent traveling public, that cruise ships are floating petrie dishes of deadly disease.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Royal Caribbean will be cruising from the Bahamas with fully-vaccinated adults, and negative COVID tests from children.

This is no where close to what the cruise lines will need to be profitable. They expect these cruises to be popular, but certainly wont' satisfy the masses. The cruise lines will require vaccination. Perhaps by the time they start these, many will be vaccinated, but probably not even close to 50% of the population. Bahamas also requires a negative COVID test to travel there and there is still a requirement for a negative test to return to the USA. Do we know yet how Royal Caribbean will be handling the negative tests? The cruise lines need mainland US departures to be profitable.

RIght now they are losing less money by simply not operating than trying to operate under the current CDC rules to resume sailing.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I'd wager that they fear the fairly common belief among the affluent traveling public, that cruise ships are floating petrie dishes of deadly disease.
Very few diseases that transmit on a cruise ship are deadly. The most common is Norovirus, far from deadly.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very few diseases that transmit on a cruise ship are deadly. The most common is Norovirus, far from deadly.
Maybe not deadly, but hours-to-days of GI distress and diarrhea isn't something most of us want to pay around a thousand bucks a day to experience, and with the multiple deaths and quarantines from Covid a year ago, and the fact that SO FAR, no ocean cruises are allowed to depart from or arrive at U.S. or Canadian ports of call, I believe it's premature to be planning a cruise.

Full disclosure here: We are booked on a European river cruise in Bordeaux France in late August. I don't know if it will happen. Right now, Non EU guests (that's us) have to quarantine 14 days after arrival in EU, and US law requires quarantine on arrival back home. SO FAR, there is no allowance for full vaccination. We are. So if a 'Vaxx Passport' happens, we're good to go, but if not, the whole trip is insured.

Jim

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Having had Norovirus it is pretty horrible with constant visits to the bathroom for 3 days. Patti had to leave the house to avoid the noise factors. Anither had thing about Norovirus is that you can be contaigious for up to 7 days after the Frank Symptoms stop.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'd rather fly to an all-inclusive, where I can practice social-distancing by sipping a pina cola on a lounge chair under a palm tree or in a cabana by the pool... than be stuffed with 2-3 thousand partiers, many of whom want to party like it's 2019.

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
Oceania Cruises has canceled all cruises through June. We're currently booked on a cruise to St Petersburg out of Copenhagen at the end of July. I'm guessing it's just a matter of time before it, too, gets canceled.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We only have one cruise booked right now, it was a freebie cruise my wife earned for selling NCL cruises. It likely won't go and we really don't plan on it going. Our hope is they cancel, give us a refund of the taxes and gratuities paid and perhaps extend the expiration of the free cruise. But if that doesn't happen, no big deal anyway.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Why couldn't Congress suspend the Jones Act with regard to travel from Seattle to Alaska for 2021 only? Seems like a no-brainer for avoiding the Canadian restriction. Doesn't solve any of the other cruise ship reopening problems, of course, but this one seems easy to fix.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Why couldn't Congress suspend the Jones Act with regard to travel from Seattle to Alaska for 2021 only? Seems like a no-brainer for avoiding the Canadian restriction. Doesn't solve any of the other cruise ship reopening problems, of course, but this one seems easy to fix.
I don't even think it requires an act of congress. DHS can provide a temporary waiver. Given the very few waivers ever granted (even in extreme circumstances), I find it doubtful that they would do it for a commercial enterprise such as leisure travel.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't even think it requires an act of congress. DHS can provide a temporary waiver. Given the very few waivers ever granted (even in extreme circumstances), I find it doubtful that they would do it for a commercial enterprise such as leisure travel.
Again it’s not just “leisure travelers” this is affecting, but ports, supply chains etc. it’s far far far far more than just the “travelers”. If they are that concerned about “traveling” then ALL state borders, hotels, Airbnb, planes etc should be 100% shut. They aren’t, and why? $$$$$lobbyists. Period.

Just like planes, a few tweaks makes air exchange good enough to prevent spread- far better than most indoor spaces allowed to be open this entire time!

CDC refuses to update its thinking from March 2020 is so many areas, by the time they acknowledge vaccinated people should have no restrictions most of us will have moved on into the next decade

shorep

Reaction score
I'd rather fly to an all-inclusive, where I can practice social-distancing by sipping a pina cola on a lounge chair under a palm tree or in a cabana by the pool... than be stuffed with 2-3 thousand partiers, many of whom want to party like it's 2019.
Watching live sport on TV,picking chords on the geetar,irish whisky, at last, lockdown has dictated a calmer lifestyle, can't knock it.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
At the beginning of the pandemic cruise ships were in the headlines for weeks. 3000 pax=300 cases=<10 deaths. Passengers/crew kept on board, in a closed environment, should have provided invaluable data as to transmissability/severity patterns of Covid.

We do have a cruise booked for January out of Fort Lauderdale. I hope the RCCL cruises that begin in June out of several Caribbean islands prove successful and allow for US ports to reopen for cruising soon.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Once these cruises resume with vaccinated guests will the crew be vaccinated as well? Or do their lives not matter?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reaction score

Industry has been idled while awaiting a green light from CDC; port workers are among those affected

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cruise-lines-fear-another-lost-employee monitoring software

Like the rest of the maritime tourism industry, Port Canaveral was mothballed at the start of the coronavirus pandemic. One year on, as other parts of the economy blink back to life, the U.S. cruise industry is waiting anxiously for Washington’s go-ahead to sail again—and worried that a second summer season is about to be lost.

Other countries including Singapore, Italy and the U.K. have authorized cruises or set a clear target date for them to set sail. Almost 400,000 passengers have sailed since some countries first began allowing cruises in July 2020, according to the industry’s trade group.

But to get started in the U.S., the cruise industry needs direction from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The CDC lifted its no-sail order in October and replaced it with a conditional set of rules; industry officials said the 40 pages of rules are either indecipherable or impractical, such as a measure requiring cruise lines to conduct “simulated voyages” with volunteer passengers. “I refer to it as the ‘impossible-to-sail order’ because no business could operate profitably,” said Capt. John Murray, Port Canaveral’s chief executive officer.

Alaska-bound cruises face an extra hurdle. Most of those ships are foreign-flagged, so they would have to make a stop in Canada, because U.S.
law forbids such ships from carrying passengers between U.S. ports. The problem: Canada has banned cruises until February 2022.

it’s really horrible, such a large business sector is simply in decline ... especially since people are hoping for an economic and job recovery, but a third wave of covid is predicted. working voyages for seafarers have already resumed, perhaps cruise liners will also be lucky and everything will return to normal at least at the end of the year

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We do have a cruise booked for January out of Fort Lauderdale.
We just booked the same cruise. AQ, in one of the 'bulge' cabins with the big wedge balconies. You will have to put up with us again! I can't wait. We got a Kissimmee TS the week before. WooHoo!

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
We just booked the same cruise. AQ, in one of the 'bulge' cabins with the big wedge balconies. You will have to put up with us again! I can't wait. We got a Kissimmee TS the week before. WooHoo!

Fabulous! We are on the hump jut-out with normal vernada on Deck 6, #6226! Fred's sis and hubby are cruising too, plus two other couples including a retired physician from University Hospitals. If he is comfortable booking that gives me confidence in resuming cruising.

The roll call on Cruise Critic is one-page thus far. My user name there is TMLAalum.

We are in a Cape Canaveral t/s the week prior and will be driving to FL from our Ohio home.

Can't wait to see you & Paula again, Jim!

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Fabulous! We are on the hump jut-out with normal vernada on Deck 6, #6226! Fred's sis and hubby are cruising too, plus two other couples including a retired physician from University Hospitals. If he is comfortable booking that gives me confidence in resuming cruising.
The roll call on Cruise Critic is one-page thus far. My user name there is TMLAalum.
We are in a Cape Canaveral t/s the week prior and will be driving to FL from our Ohio home.
Can't wait to see you & Paula again, Jim!
Oh dear, these two couples get together, there could be trouble. We don't want to read about you in the papers! :)

Veritoalsol

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oceania Cruises has canceled all cruises through June. We're currently booked on a cruise to St Petersburg out of Copenhagen at the end of July. I'm guessing it's just a matter of time before it, too, gets canceled.
That is likely. Particularly for the smaller cruiselines, i would expect that they will not sail until much later

Veritoalsol

TUG Member
Reaction score
Once these cruises resume with vaccinated guests will the crew be vaccinated as well? Or do their lives not matter?
Yes all crew and guests will have to be vaccinated - there was some debate around allowing children under 18 since there is no vaccine yet if you are under 16. So far, for 18 and below, the requirement will be to provide a negative PCR test. Cruiselines (at least the major ones) have secured doses of vaccines for their crew.