• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Covid's toll in the U.S. reaches a once unfathomable number: 1 million deaths

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister has it now. She has a heart condition and copd and was ultra careful. Her son visited and they went out to eat. She has not been in a restaurant in two years

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
My sister has it now. She has a heart condition and copd and was ultra careful. Her son visited and they went out to eat. She has not been in a restaurant in two years

While I'm sorry to hear about your sister, this is the rule, not the exception. I know more people coming down with it now than at any point of the pandemic. My brother in law and his entire family have it now -- all breakthrough infections.

People have been told by the Pied Pipers of Television that it is over. And they are behaving just like the fairy tale.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
It's becoming harder and harder to avoid infection. But you may still be able to reduce the amount of virus you are exposed to, which will allow your immune system a head start to fight off a severe infection.

-Wear a high quality mask whenever you're indoors or having long conversations with others. Those masks are: n95, fk94, kn95, ffp2, n99, or n100.
-If you work in an office or school consider bringing your own HEPA filter to work and putting it on high near your desk/work station.
-If you can, open the windows.

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
Covid: World’s true pandemic death toll nearly 15 million
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-61327778

The measure used by the WHO is called excess deaths - how many more people died than would normally be expected based on mortality in the same area before the pandemic hit.

These calculations also take into account deaths which were not directly because of Covid but instead caused by its knock-on effects, like people being unable to access hospitals for the care they needed. It also accounts for poor record-keeping in some regions, and sparse testing at the start of the crisis.

But the WHO said the majority of the extra 9.5 million deaths seen above the 5.4 million Covid deaths reported were thought to be direct deaths caused by the virus, rather than indirect deaths.

geekette

Reaction score
Damn. Wish she would have kept to the no restaurants plan that had been working. Wishing her speedy recovery and mild go of it.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Oops, it did not copy the country names. The red one is NOT the US.

The difference here is that being called "the average Swede" isn't an insult. But they did a horrible job with the pandemic -- one of the worst in Europe. All anyone need do is compare Sweden's numbers to that of Norway. Swedish health ministers assumed that their reasonably fit, reasonably intelligent population would fare just fine. They gambled with people's lives and lost. I would much rather have rode it out in Oslo than Stockholm.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
For many peep, these statistics get barely a glance.
They're tired of hearing about Covid and its mortality.
They think, "Well, I didn't die, so I can tune this stuff out."

Thinking about how individuals who died was likely be
someone's spouse, parent, sibling, other relative, friend
or workmate, is a bridge too far -- it calls for empathy.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
A high risk factor for Covid is being slightly overweight defined as BMI over 25. Many people with BMI between 25 and 30 look fine based on our culture yet they are significantly mote likely to be hospitalized for Covid. I used to think it was just the obese but it isn’t. Being overweight or obese is about 80% of hospitalizations according to this study.

Among 148,494 adults who received a COVID-19 diagnosis during an emergency department (ED) or inpatient visit at 238 U.S. hospitals during March–December 2020, 28.3% had overweight and 50.8% had obesity.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I check the CDC guidelines page. Certain areas of the country have higher infection rates than others. Although it changes daily.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm so torn. I am 100% a believer in vax and masks and distancing. That said, with 4 shots, I feel like I'm "sort of safe," from severe disease. But I also think I may be living in a fairytale. I think those who are still being more careful than I am (and yes -I wear a mask in grocery stores, CVS, etc.) are being smarter. But I want to go on vacation. I guess that's where I'm struggling. Where are the statistics on severe cases/deaths for those of us who are vaxxed and double boosted AND wear masks in high risk situations? I want to know.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Where are the statistics on severe cases/deaths for those of us who are vaxxed and double boosted AND wear masks in high risk situations?

I think that's the wrong way to look at it -- be concerned about long-haul symptoms instead. If you've made it this far, you could be one of the lucky ones that doesn't contract the virus until after we've discovered the mechanics of what causes long-haul covid.

I'd roll the dice with a full battery of shots, if it wasn't for two things: long-haul Covid and the chance I'm infected/asymptomatic and infecting strangers without knowing it.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is an excellent summary article of how we got to where we are. It is long and I am afraid that those who would most benefit from reading it will ignore it because of that. All I can do is put it forward.

For those who think I am obsessed with these reports, or, with Omicron, given its mildness, the danger is over, for the last week or so, the number of new deaths has bounced around from about 310 per day to 320. That would put the yearly total at 115,000 deaths. (Ah, its no worse than the flu.)

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What happened to the rolling death toll ribbon at the top of most all the MSM TV news broadcasts from about a year and half ago?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
What happened to the rolling death toll ribbon at the top of most all the MSM TV news broadcasts from about a year and half ago?
They're long gone, removed when it became all too sadly apparent that knowing the number of dead did absolutely nothing to change the behavior of too many people who selfishly value their own rights to infect the masses over the common good. You can't blame the media outlets for doing so - screen space is a precious commodity.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They're long gone, removed when it became all too sadly apparent that knowing the number of dead did absolutely nothing to change the behavior of too many people who selfishly value their own rights to infect the masses over the common good. You can't blame the media outlets for doing so - screen space is a precious commodity.
You honestly believe that was the primary purpose for posting that ribbon on the top of CNN's and other MSM screens. GoOd GrAvY. BWAAA!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You honestly believe that was the primary purpose for posting that ribbon on the top of CNN's and other MSM screens. GoOd GrAvY. BWAAA!
I think the "primary purpose" of any media outlet is to keep us informed. I also think that if it weren't for the widespread and blatant disinterest in the number of dead, that number would still be scrolling on our TV screens. Thankfully, for anyone who is still interested and doesn't need the motivation of a scrolling TV banner to do the right thing, it's information that can be found from a number of trustworthy sources with a simple google search.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
13.9% of those million deaths are covid-only deaths. And those deaths were due to the lack of early treatments. Remember when covid positives were told to go home and take cold medicines? Yep. They died weeks later strapped to vents in ICUs. It was criminal.

It seems that heart disease and cancer took more Americans, twice as many, as did covid in both 2020 and 2021. And it's looking similar in 2022.

Can we start a forum on heart diseases and cancers?

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
An analysis by Harry Enten of CNN and published April 2, 2022, addressed this.

A recent Gallup poll gives us good insight. Just 3% of Americans said the coronavirus or diseases are the top problem facing the country. That’s less than half the previous low for this answer (8%), which occurred in mid-2021 when case rates were also falling.

Two years ago (April 2020), a record 45% said the coronavirus was the top problem in the country. It’s not surprising that we’re nowhere near that level anymore.

In January, 20% of Americans said the coronavirus was the most important problem facing the country.

The Gallup poll isn’t the only one to show that the significance of the pandemic in the minds of Americans has fallen dramatically. A recent NBC News poll also found that just 3% said the coronavirus was the most important issue facing the country.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have WAY bigger problems now, lets all work/support finding solutions NOW.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have WAY bigger problems now, lets all work/support finding solutions NOW.
Nope. I figure you dopes have been selfish for the last two years, it's my turn now. MY biggest problem is that I'm dealing with scary health issues as a result of too many people ignoring the very real dangers of allowing COVID-19 to run rampant. Whatever politically-tinged problems you think are more important, the fact that you all slavishly kowtowed to deplorable politicians and aided their efforts to allow a deadly worldwide pandemic to do its worst will NEVER not be the worst thing that's occurred in my life. You have rocks in your head if you think I'm going to be willing to rally round the campfire and sing kumbaya with the people responsible for it, especially in an effort to support whatever whackjob priorities they come up with next.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
An analysis by Harry Enten of CNN and published April 2, 2022, addressed this.

A recent Gallup poll gives us good insight. Just 3% of Americans said the coronavirus or diseases are the top problem facing the country. That’s less than half the previous low for this answer (8%), which occurred in mid-2021 when case rates were also falling.

Two years ago (April 2020), a record 45% said the coronavirus was the top problem in the country. It’s not surprising that we’re nowhere near that level anymore.

In January, 20% of Americans said the coronavirus was the most important problem facing the country.

The Gallup poll isn’t the only one to show that the significance of the pandemic in the minds of Americans has fallen dramatically. A recent NBC News poll also found that just 3% said the coronavirus was the most important issue facing the country.
From the very first day we were told it was a non-issue and we watched for more than two years as far too many people didn't let go of that falsehood no matter what was happening right in front of their eyes! OF COURSE people are done with it - half the country was done with it before it even got started, and the other half is just resigned to the fact that nothing could have made a difference. A million dead? Bring on the hysterically funny emoticon - because it's all just a game.