• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Covid tests in Victoria

ann824

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are traveling to Victoria in a couple of weeks. Where is the best place to get a Covid test before returning to United States.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you will have internet access, you could consider buying the Abbott BinaxNOW proctored tests from eMed. Problem is that you have to buy a box of 6 for $150 plus shipping, but that might be cheaper than testing in Canada. You take the test online while a proctor watches. Results are usually available in about an hour.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Shoppers Drug Marts are usually available across the country. You have to book in advance; but they are relatively cheap ($40 CAD) and you get the results in 15 minutes (printed out for you). My wife and son used them a couple of weeks ago before our trip to Scottsdale - went really smoothly.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Shoppers Drug Marts are usually available across the country. You have to book in advance; but they are relatively cheap ($40 CAD) and you get the results in 15 minutes (printed out for you). My wife and son used them a couple of weeks ago before our trip to Scottsdale - went really smoothly.

I don't think $40 rapid antigen tests for travel are available in Shoppers in BC.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think $40 rapid antigen tests for travel are available in Shoppers in BC.
I stand corrected. Any idea on why they don’t offer it? Is this a government thing?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I stand corrected. Any idea on why they don’t offer it? Is this a government thing?

I don't know. But Covid tests for travel have always been less available and more expensive in BC compared to Alberta or Ontario. Rapid antigen tests for travel in BC are about $80, and PCR tests are about $150 - $200.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Is it more expensive to perform a test for travel vs just any other test? Perhaps the government subsidizes other tests but not tests for travel?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
You can get rapid antigen tests for free in BC, but those are self-test kits that don't include a report, so those cannot be used for travel.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is it more expensive to perform a test for travel vs just any other test? Perhaps the government subsidizes other tests but not tests for travel?
In Canada everyone has “access” to healthcare, but that is expensive to provide. The solution is that the government medical plans only cover “essential” services. Extra services, such as dental care, are usually covered under private insurance that is paid for separately (usually employer provided benefits.)

Earlier in the pandemic you could get a free PCR test, but only if you had symptoms. But if you have symptoms you can’t travel or go to work. If you need a test for travel or employment purposes that is considered non-essential, so you would have to pay the full amount out of pocket.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
For BC I would bring tests for online use with you. That will be cheaper/easier.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're staying at a timeshare for a week you could have a Switch Health antigen test couriered to where you're staying. They're sold in packs of two, and the tests are monitored via video over your phone. If you sign up for an Aeroplan (Air Canada) number for free, the tests are only $40 each. https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/#collectionKits

They do have testing at the Victoria Airport but it's more expensive at $70 per test.
https://www.connectusglobal.com/victoria-airport-testing-facility/

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a similar question but about Calgary. I was going to buy the eMed kits from home to test, but someone told me the video appointments have been full. we need to test in Calgary on a Sunday.
does anyone know what my options are for testing in Calgary on a Sunday

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a similar question but about Calgary. I was going to buy the eMed kits from home to test, but someone told me the video appointments have been full. we need to test in Calgary on a Sunday.
does anyone know what my options are for testing in Calgary on a Sunday

Every pharmacy in Calgary offers inexpensive antigen tests with written results in 15 minutes. My local pharmacy charges $20 CAD, which is the same as Walmart. Costco is a bit less, Shoppers Drug Mart is more. Walmart and Costco both book online in advance and are open Sundays. Many other pharmacies will be open Sunday as well, shouldn't be an issue. Might as well go with somewhere you can book in advance close to where you are staying.

kckaren21

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are traveling to Victoria in a couple of weeks. Where is the best place to get a Covid test before returning to United States.

It's a good idea to find out what will be required by your airline - last fall I had a rude scare at an airport in Africa when Delta did not accept my home test results. I had to find a place to test there and almost missed my flight home. It turned out the test at the airport was cheaper and easier than the home test I brought from US. (In LA, the last minute tests were $120, so I was trying to avoid that. In Ghana, it was under $20, which I wish I had known!)

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
No need to reinvent the wheel here. Call the place where you will be staying in Victoria and ask what recommendation they have for departing guests. This won't be the first time they've handled this.

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called the Marriott in Calgary. The person at the front desk was no help at all. He said any home test would work which I know is not true.
I called some of the Costco pharmacies in Calgary and not all do testing. And the ones that did testing didn’t have appointments for today or next Sunday.
I guess I’ll call the Marriott back and ask to speak to the concierge. Hopefully they know what’s close by

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called the Marriott in Calgary. The person at the front desk was no help at all. He said any home test would work which I know is not true.
I called some of the Costco pharmacies in Calgary and not all do testing. And the ones that did testing didn’t have appointments for today or next Sunday.
I guess I’ll call the Marriott back and ask to speak to the concierge. Hopefully they know what’s close by

Walmart at 9650 McLeod Trail has appointments for next Sunday. As does the one on Northland Drive.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Are you flying or driving? If flying you may need to check with your airline to see what kind of test they require. I know United Airlines has a "Travel Ready" section where you upload your passport info, and then your test info. We needed all of that when we returned from Switzerland. I honestly don't know if the requirements coming in from Canada are different.

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are actually flying Swoop out of Edmonton. But very early morning flight. And this is for July actually. I’m hoping the testing requirements are gone (wishful thinking) but I like worrying about things WAY ahead of time so don’t worry while on vacation.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are actually flying Swoop out of Edmonton. But very early morning flight. And this is for July actually. I’m hoping the testing requirements are gone (wishful thinking) but I like worrying about things WAY ahead of time so don’t worry while on vacation.

Then it's easy. Walmart books a month in advance on their website. If you need July 10 set a reminder for June 11th and book it then.

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Then it's easy. Walmart books a month in advance on their website. If you need July 10 set a reminder for June 11th and book it then.
So how does that work for Americans. Is the service only available for Canadians? What would be the closest location to downtown Calgary, if you know offhand.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
So how does that work for Americans. Is the service only available for Canadians? What would be the closest location to downtown Calgary, if you know offhand.

No reason for it to be an issue that you're American. It isn't a government provided service - the government health plan does offer covid testing, but very few people qualify for it anymore and travel is excluded. This is private-pay, so anyone should be able to use it.

You do need to book the appointment in advance through the link I posted earlier.

The closest locations to downtown are Calgary West (1212 37 Street SW) and Calgary East (3800 Memorial Drive). Calgary West is in Westbrook Mall at the Westbrook stop on the Blue CTrain line, while Calgary East is in Marlborough Mall at the Marlborough stop on the blue line. Both have lots of free parking. I'd pick based on whatever else you are doing that day (eg East is fairly close to the zoo).

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you want something right in downtown YYC you can try Shopper's Drug Mart. You do have to book in advance, but access is really easy if staying downtown and is close to the train:

317 7TH AVE SW
Calgary, AB T2P 2Y9

Shopper's Drug Mart Alberta Covid Testing

Test cost is $40 CAD