• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Covid testing and turnaround times for results

tborr123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tugg is sometimes too big to find relevant posts. Been searching for 30 minutes. Apologies (and please point me elsewhere) if this information is available on another forum.

Going to WKORV in 3 weeks. Which Covid testing sites in the Bay Area are reliable in getting results back in time? When I went to Hawaii a few months ago, the Safe Travels Hawaii site pointed me towards CVS (as an example) but the CVS site said they could not guarantee timely turnaround for Hawaii trips. Has that changed?

TIA.

RC51Tofuman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea Studio (no longer owned)
Westin Flex (currently own)
Tugg is sometimes too big to find relevant posts. Been searching for 30 minutes. Apologies (and please point me elsewhere) if this information is available on another forum.

Going to WKORV in 3 weeks. Which Covid testing sites in the Bay Area are reliable in getting results back in time? When I went to Hawaii a few months ago, the Safe Travels Hawaii site pointed me towards CVS (as an example) but the CVS site said they could not guarantee timely turnaround for Hawaii trips. Has that changed?

TIA.
Try Walgreens

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Check your airline. We flew to OGG on United in January and United had a testing site set up at SFO (expanded to SJO I believe). Since then, other airlines have followed suit.

At that time, United had a $250 option for a day of travel test, but we were afraid to cut it that close so went to SFO 71 hours ahead of time and we had results in about 12 hours. We live close to SFO and few people were traveling then so YMMV, but it is the airlines interest to make sure this works well.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Check the airline, and of course, check the Safe Travels Hawaii site for the list of approved labs. If you do it the right way, you're pretty much guaranteed to get the results back in time. If you just go into your local testing site for a test, you may not, or you may not get the official Hawaii results form that is necessary for the (automated) Safe Travels approval.

The best site when we went last month was the Color site near SFO, which we did three days before our flight. You need to make a reservation for the test, and we got our results back in about 12 hours, though it can take up to 24. Make sure you don't get tested any earlier than 36 hours before your flight to Hawaii departs (if you're connecting, the relevant time is when the flight TO HAWAII departs, not your first flight to wherever you're connecting.) Even one minute earlier will cause your test to be invalid for the quarantine exemption. For example, if your flight to Maui from SFO leaves on Friday at 9:30 am, don't get tested before 9:30 AM on Tuesday.

The Color site is a drive-through site and was quick, organized and easy. I think it was $105 per person. I do not believe any of the sites for travel testing will be covered by insurance; in fact, I'd say if they even ask for your insurance info, you probably aren't getting a test that will be accepted by Hawaii. There were people on our flight who screwed up and had the wrong test and had to turn around and fly home.

United also has rapid testing which you can do at the airport prior to your flight by arriving a bit early. It was more expensive ($140? I forget) and we opted for the earlier test. You can also do mail in testing from Costco (you buy the test kit, then 3 days before your flight you do your own nasal swab while a clinician watches you by video link from your phone, then you return it by overnight UPS that same day and you get your results probably the day before your flight. That probably works fine but it seemed like there were too many things that could go wrong there.

The day before your trip you need to upload the test results and fill out a health questionnaire on the Safe Travels site, to get the all-important QR code that will let you bypass quarantine. When you get to the airport, make sure you do the pre-travel clearance (check your airline's web site for info) which will allow you to avoid a multi-hour line in Maui.

Have a great trip!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Check out the Hawaii forum. There is a long thread in there about COVID testing requirements and discussion for Hawaii travel.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Try Walgreens

Yes, Walgreens offers a quick turn around test. But -- when I checked about a week ago, they did not offer the rapid Covid test. In fact the rapid (less than 24 hours) test is not available in California. There are about 500 locations around the US, but NONE in California (presuming that nothing has changed in the last week). In San Diego, Carbon health offers a quick turn around test. But I don't know if that would work where you are.

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
100% Recommend the ABBOTT ID NOW Test through Walgreens if you can. Got results in 2-3 Hours.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When we flew out of SFO in January it was $250. The ahead of time one was the $140.
You might be right about $250. There are multiple "ahead of time ones", the one by Color Genomics (drive through in the surface parking area near SFO's Long Term Parking garage) was $105.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
You might be right about $250. There are multiple "ahead of time ones", the one by Color Genomics (drive through in the surface parking area near SFO's Long Term Parking garage) was $105.

That is the one we did. The price may be lower now but we had results in less than 24 hours. More like 12 and uploaded easily to the Safe Travels HI website.

tborr123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you just drive up to the Color Genomics testing location at SFO, or is that through an airline or advance appointment?

Edit: went to the United site, which connects you to Color using your flight confirmation or FF number, where one can make an appointment for a test. Appears only to be for certain United destinations, including Hawaii.

Last edited:

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can you just drive up to the Color Genomics testing location at SFO, or is that through an airline or advance appointment?

Edit: went to the United site, which connects you to Color using your flight confirmation or FF number, where one can make an appointment for a test. Appears only to be for certain United destinations, including Hawaii.
Yes, I think United has an exclusive deal with Color. But if you can manage to make an appointment through United's link, you’ll be fine after that regardless which airline you are flying.

You DO need an appointment, you can’t just walk up. I think the only walk-up option is the last minute rapid test at SFO, and I’m not sure that’s available for every airline (it may just be in Terminal 3.)

gravitar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try Walgreens

Walgreens offers the Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW) with results with 24 hours. 4 of us are traveling and we were tested in 4 different Walgreens in 3 different cities in Florida. 3 results were back in under 2 hours and the 4th in 18. No cost. No insurance requested either

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Walgreens offers the Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW) with results with 24 hours. 4 of us are traveling and we were tested in 4 different Walgreens in 3 different cities in Florida. 3 results were back in under 2 hours and the 4th in 18. No cost. No insurance requested either

Does Hawaii accept the ID NOW test results?

gravitar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does Hawaii accept the ID NOW test results?
This was from a member of the GoHawaii Team

"The Walgreens PCR and ID NOW are accepted.

NAAT, PCR , or Abbott ID NOW rapid molecular COVID-19 test results from our TRUSTED TRAVEL AND TESTING PARTNERS will be accepted"

And

"We are aware that Walgreens sends their tests to PWN Health. As long as you are testing directly with Walgreens, you are receiving an approved test. If you used the link on the website, you should be good to go."

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

NAAT, PCR , or Abbott ID NOW rapid molecular COVID-19 test results from our TRUSTED TRAVEL AND TESTING PARTNERS will be accepted"

And

"We are aware that Walgreens sends their tests to PWN Health. As long as you are testing directly with Walgreens, you are receiving an approved test. If you used the link on the website, you should be good to go."

Thank you! Now I am debating whether to get tested at Walgreens which do have ID NOW tests where we live or pay $130 per person test at UMC in Southern Nevada, which has many urgent care clinics where they collect samples for covid tests.

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Now I am debating whether to get tested at Walgreens which do have ID NOW tests where we live or pay $130 per person test at UMC in Southern Nevada, which has many urgent care clinics where they collect samples for covid tests.

I'd go with Walgreen's for free over paying $130. Since we can't get the rapid test in CA, we're going to schedule their standard test 72 hours out and have a backup test at the Clarity Labs T6 facility at LAX two days later in case the results aren't in by then.

DinaM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali ORV
We used Citihealth at SFO. I know they have Bay Area locations as well. Cost was $20 each, and got our results in 25 hours. It does not matter what airline you fly. We flew on Hawaiian, but the recommended testing site associated with them was $90 per person.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We used Citihealth at SFO. I know they have Bay Area locations as well. Cost was $20 each, and got our results in 25 hours. It does not matter what airline you fly. We flew on Hawaiian, but the recommended testing site associated with them was $90 per person.
What exactly did you need to present at the airport? The $20 is a document fee charged by City health. One can actually order the test without paying the document fee. Did you actually need that document they provided?

DinaM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali ORV
What exactly did you need to present at the airport? The $20 is a document fee charged by City health. One can actually order the test without paying the document fee. Did you actually need that document they provided?
They send the negative test with the Hawaii seal by email. This is what is upload to the Safe Travels website. I assume this is what the fee pays for. You then have to show the QR code from the safe travels site at the airport.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

And

I assume the Walgreens test is PCR and approved for Bahamas?

gravitar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I assume the Walgreens test is PCR and approved for Bahamas?
Walgreens offers 3 types of tests, 2 of which are accepted for Hawaii, ID NOW and PCR. Not all tests are offered at every Walgreens.

I'm not sure what the Bahamas requirements are nor if they have approved testing locations similar to Hawaii.

I never assume anything.
6d6084cd1b6fc077c3f6dcae60e68926.jpg

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Walgreens offers 3 types of tests, 2 of which are accepted for Hawaii, ID NOW and PCR. Not all tests are offered at every Walgreens.

I'm not sure what the Bahamas requirements are nor if they have approved testing locations similar to Hawaii.

I never assume anything.
6d6084cd1b6fc077c3f6dcae60e68926.jpg

Thanks.... Bahamas requires PCR