• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Covid Resort Closures & RCI

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
I could cancel our September Exchange to Royal Regency and have my TPUs redeposited if I purchase the $104 policy any time up to a week prior to the start date of the week. But, if travel to France remains restricted even though the resort is open, do Tuggers think that both the TPUs and the Exchange Fee will be returned by RCI?

Has anyone bought the Trading Power Protection Plan and then have their exchange cancelled due to Covid? What was the result?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
No. Interval isn't doing anything for anyone after May 31 reservations. Rci has gone up to June 15 but I don't expect them to go any further. If the resort is open even if there are restrictions or conditions that prevent you from going, I don't think RCI is going to honor anything other than their regular cancellation policy.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
That is what I have been expecting as well, short of another major C-19 wave.

No. Interval isn't doing anything for anyone after May 31 reservations. Rci has gone up to June 15 but I don't expect them to go any further. If the resort is open even if there are restrictions or conditions that prevent you from going, I don't think RCI is going to honor anything other than their regular cancellation policy.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Per the RCI facebook group, RCI is actually extending their cancellation policy until the end of June.

JulieAB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
What if the resort is actually closed? I don't want a credit, I want a refund because it's closed and I don't know if I can schedule another trip in 6 months to use the credit.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What if the resort is actually closed? I don't want a credit, I want a refund because it's closed and I don't know if I can schedule another trip in 6 months to use the credit.
I don't think rci is offering refunds even if the resort is closed. It's take it or leave it credit. The credit doesn't have to be for a trip in the next 6 months, it just needs to be booked within 6 months or it goes poof.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a couple of RCI European exchanges, for this very week! cancelled by them, because RCI said the resorts were closed (even though RCI kept showing one as available as an Extra Vacation, similar dates, and would have taken my $ I assume, so who knows).

They returned my TPU's on both, and gave me exchange credits on my account, to be used to reserve new exchanges (I must reserve by Oct 31, not travel by then tho - I don't think there's a deadline on travel date so theoretically could be up to Oct of 2022 if my TPU's can be extended out that far. I'd have to keep re-combining).

On one I'd purchased TPU protection when I'd booked the week, and they eventually sent me a $64 refund check.

I agree with tschwa2, I doubt they'll do the same if the resorts are open but there are travel restrictions prohibiting your entry to the country - but it's possible. It may be hard to get an informed answer on the phone. Until or unless you want to use the TPU's for something else, there's not really a downside to waiting, since the TPU protection can be purchased almost up to check-in date.

Last edited:

JulieAB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
Sadly, I don't know if I could even schedule something by then. Not sure where to go anymore! All our favorite places are closed. And once they open, they might be so significantly different that we won't want to go anymore. Back to the drawing board!

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
I agree with tschwa2, I doubt they'll do the same if the resorts are open but there are travel restrictions prohibiting your entry to the country - but it's possible. It may be hard to get an informed answer on the phone. Until or unless you want to use the TPU's for something else, there's not really a downside to waiting, since the TPU protection can be purchased almost up to check-in date.

Think that we will wait then. Total loss for our trip is palatable- RCI fees including insurance @$375 and EasyJet fare for the 2 of us @$130 if the flight from BCN to BOD is not cancelled by then. I still need to cancel our UA ff flights to Europe and our AA ff flights from Paris but there is no charge for that. Car rental, Bordeaux hotel and VRBO in Vitrac also. We cancelled our RCCL cruise and did not lose our non-refundable deposit b.c we transferred it to another cruise- Empress of the Seas Canadian Adventure departing 10/4/2021.

If by September France was good to go and travel there from the U.S. was too, I'd love to keep our plans intact. It's the trans-Atlantic flights that have me fearful regarding the virus!