• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Covid Requirements while traveling to Mexico return to US?

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have to test prior to departure? Going to CUN.

Do you have to test prior to return to US? I think this is still a requirement?

Where and how do you get the test prior to departure?

TIA!

klpenny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harboside Atlantis, Sheraton Flex ,Vidanta
We were in Mexico in April. You just need to fill an online form to get in, but no COVID test. You need to test on the calendar day before your departure. It is not 24 hours. Any time on the calendar day before you depart is sufficient. We were at a Vidanta resort which offered COVID testing on site for $25 US. Many resorts do offer the test. I would check your resort.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
What happens if you test positive in Mexico? Does the resort need to put you up until you test negative? What is the financial exposure to the traveler? Or does this all depend on the resort? Sorry for all the Q's, just trying to decide if it is worth even thinking about traveling to Mexico until all return restrictions are dropped.

Kurt

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
What happens if you test positive in Mexico? Does the resort need to put you up until you test negative? What is the financial exposure to the traveler? Or does this all depend on the resort?
The resort isn't required to do anything for you. However, many resorts sell a sort of insurance policy that you can buy in advance in case you test positive. At the resort I was planning to stay at this month (until I got too nervous and cancelled), they would provide another week of accommodations at the resort for something like a $30 fee in advance. The traveler would have to work with the airline and/or their separate travel insurance to get the flight re-booked.

I found a link to an insurance plan for the same hotel group but a different location:

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
What happens if you test positive in Mexico? Does the resort need to put you up until you test negative? What is the financial exposure to the traveler? Or does this all depend on the resort? Sorry for all the Q's, just trying to decide if it is worth even thinking about traveling to Mexico until all return restrictions are dropped.

Kurt

The VDP Famingos in Nuevo Vallarta had a floor in building 3 that they used for guests that tested positive for covid in Feb 2021. The cost was reduced for the room but you were required to stay in your room and use room service. They posted security so the sick people couldn't leave. I know one family that had a family member test positive and they were quarantined. The resort doesn't get the test result unless you share it with them. You test 3 days prior to leaving.

In Feb 2022 it was different in that the resort wasn't offering reduced prices for quarantine and you tested 1 day before you leave. There was no one in quarantine for the entire 3 weeks we were there. We then went to the Grand Luxxe for a week and took our test there 1 day before leaving. Our results were emailed to us but the airport needs a printed copy is what they told us at check out. I'm glad we had these printed out before we left because I did notice people being hassled trying to use their phone.

Bill

TheHappyWanderer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Bill. The airline websites all seem to say you can show them either a digital or a paper copy of the test results at the airport.

Was it some sort of Mexico or Puerta Vallarta-specific requirement that you need to have the test results printed out? We are flying out of Cancun in a couple days and we're hoping a digital copy of the covid test results that are being emailed to us will suffice.

rpennisi

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Bill. The airline websites all seem to say you can show them either a digital or a paper copy of the test results at the airport.

Was it some sort of Mexico or Puerta Vallarta-specific requirement that you need to have the test results printed out? We are flying out of Cancun in a couple days and we're hoping a digital copy of the covid test results that are being emailed to us will suffice.
To play it safe, just have the concierge print the results out for you before you go to the airport.

TheHappyWanderer

TUG Member
Reaction score
They won't print your covid test results out for you at Royal Islander. They say you can just show them the digital copy on your phone. I had absolutely no problem at Vidanta N.V. last year asking the front desk to print out the test results.