• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Covid cases surge nationwide as White House warns of potential surge ahead

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Why is it, then, that you say such definitive statements as there’s no need to worry, and why is it you consider yourself to be reasonable but I’m a rabidly unreasonable whackjob whose COVID fears are too extreme?

Because I don't think there's a reason to worry. If you've taken all recommended precautions and in light of the apparent less serious variant then there's no reason to worry. Why do so if there is such a low risk of serious illness to yourself? Of course, if you are going to worry in spite of the low risk then you will continue to do so irrespective of my comment, I'm pretty sure that people aren't going to read my comment and think "ah, Pompey Family says there's no need to worry so I can rest easy now".

As for contrast, your expressed desire to see your country replicate the measures currently being undertaken in China to deal Covid outbreaks is extreme. Have you actually read what's going on over there?

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah. unsettling.

I still very much don’t want the virus. I’m hoping for another 40 years on the planet and don’t need this crap saddling me with new problems. not feeling lucky, I continue to keep my distance, wear a mask, and limit indoor anything. It’s not so hard. I don’t keep track of any of it anymore, not dropping my defenses regardless of what’s where when and how mild, or not. There aren’t many of us in the grocery store with masks but enough to show that not everybody thinks it is over and no threat.

the idea that nobody cares is far off the mark. Perhaps many don’t give a crap, but others of us would prefer to not risk the potential for serious long term consequences. I don’t need blood clots, heart trouble, memory issues, chronic fatigue, etc. It is a bit weird to me that apparently some people don’t care that their next round of it could bring far worse than mild symptoms that clear up, but, I concern myself with what I can do to stay healthy while others do what they do.
Amen. Millions of people died from much ado about nothing. I'm still masking.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
In your rabid determination to try and score points you're tying yourself up in knots.

I'll try and simplify it for you.

My infections weren't severe, quite the opposite and nothing for me to be concerned about. Acknowledging that doesn't equate to downplaying the severity others have experienced, I'm simply referring to MY experience.

Why were my symptoms mild? Most likely because I don't fall into a high risk category and because I'm fully vaccinated. Most people in such a position should also expect to experience less severe symptoms, something you vaccine zealots agree with me upon! Make your mind up!!!
You were one of the fortunate ones. I too have the vax but have an elderly parent that we watch out for.

Last edited:

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Along with millions of others, I'm far from unique in that respect.
And the flip side is all the millions who lost their lives. No matter how you slice it, it's something I wish we never experienced.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is widely accepted that if you are vaccinated and not in a high risk group then the chances of becoming ill from Covid are very low. There's no point trying to argue against that, all the experts have said that. You're in an unfortunate position in finding yourself affected long term and I don't intend to diminish that in any way however the majority of people do not develop health issues after a Covid infection. I've decided that I'm no longer going to live in fear of a virus that hasn't adversely affected me, even prior to vaccination, I'm not going to lock myself away, I'm not going to avoid doing what I enjoy, I'm not going to stifle my family's enjoyment or impact on my children's development. I certainly don't want to see a repeat of what is currently happening in China.

Sue, I'm vaccinated. If I contract Covid I self isolate until I test negative. I wear a mask when required. What more do you want me to do in terms of mitigating any risk that I might pose to you or others?
China needs our Vax..their Vax is not effective!! My thoughts are until you get this virus and no matter how much research is there, you do not know how your body will react. You can hope that you suffer mild symptoms ...its like anything, there are side effects to meds and you might be the one who shows side effects.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
At least the current White House is not over-reacting based on "medical experts" and dispatching medical ships and locking-down the country in a failed attempt to "control" the Covid pandemic "surge" (which happened anyway, a few times (this is just one more?), because pandemics will always run their course).

As I recall in 2020, the Mercy and Comfort medical ships treated less than 300 patients -- combined. Politicians have learned from that kind of over-reaction.

I do not know why this even makes the news anymore.
Because unfortunately we are still living with a pandemic. Once it's over then the news will subside.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
China needs our Vax..their Vax is not effective!! My thoughts are until you get this virus and no matter how much research is there, you do not know how your body will react. You can hope that you suffer mild symptoms ...its like anything, there are side effects to meds and you might be the one who shows side effects.
Our Wuhan friend, whose emails to me are cautiously worded, comes across as despairing over the lockdowns there and how it has affected the daily life of her family, including the schooling of her 2nd grader.
Despite the western world's shortcomings in handling Covid, at least we have the individual freedom to chose how to deal with the virus, whether it be ignore it, prevent it or treat it.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Because I don't think there's a reason to worry. If you've taken all recommended precautions and in light of the apparent less serious variant then there's no reason to worry. Why do so if there is such a low risk of serious illness to yourself? Of course, if you are going to worry in spite of the low risk then you will continue to do so irrespective of my comment, I'm pretty sure that people aren't going to read my comment and think "ah, Pompey Family says there's no need to worry so I can rest easy now".

As for contrast, your expressed desire to see your country replicate the measures currently being undertaken in China to deal Covid outbreaks is extreme. Have you actually read what's going on over there?
Yep. I recently said that IN HINDSIGHT, knowing now how many selfish people in my country think it's a fair trade-off for millions of people to fall desperately ill or die or suffer longterm debilitating effects just as long as they're not inconvenienced in the slightest, I wish the rules had been stricter two years ago so that the virus wouldn't have been allowed to spread and mutate as much as it had during the months prior to vaccines being available.

And yep, I might have been clumsy in how I said it but I have tried to explain it at least once when you accused me of saying that that I wish my country were locked down tight as a drum today. I do not, but that's the meaning of my words that you are choosing to believe in order to satisfy your need for us to be on polar opposites of the entire mess.

Cripes. Talk about deluded. "Worry" doesn't always mean paralyzing fear. Sometimes it simply means a healthy respect for the unknown as much as the known combined with the acknowledgement that others' experiences are as valid as yours. So as someone who most assuredly does not fit any of the high-risk groups predicted to suffer longterm significant consequences from COVID but is doing exactly that, due entirely to people who believe as you do that they're entitled to be as nonchalant about COVID as they please, every time you say that there's "no reason to worry" I will counter it with the hope that people are more inclined to keep protecting themselves and their loved ones than your blasé words might lead them to otherwise be.

Last edited:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep. I recently said that IN HINDSIGHT, knowing now how many selfish people in my country think it's a fair trade-off for millions of people to fall desperately ill or die or suffer longterm debilitating effects just as long as they're not inconvenienced in the slightest, I wish the rules had been stricter two years ago so that the virus wouldn't have been allowed to spread and mutate as much as it had during the months prior to vaccines being available.

And yep, I might have been clumsy in how I said it but I have tried to explain it at least once when you accused me of saying that that I wish my country were locked down tight as a drum today. I do not, but that's the meaning of my words that you are choosing to believe in order to satisfy your need for us to be on polar opposites of the entire mess.

Cripes. Talk about deluded. "Worry" doesn't always mean paralyzing fear. Sometimes it simply means a healthy respect for the unknown as much as the known combined with the acknowledgement that others' experiences are as valid as yours. So as someone who most assuredly does not fit any of the high-risk groups predicted to suffer longterm significant consequences from COVID but is doing exactly that, due entirely to people who believe as you do that they're entitled to be as nonchalant about COVID as they please, every time you say that there's "no reason to worry" I will counter it with the hope that people are more inclined to keep protecting themselves and their loved ones than your blasé words might lead them to otherwise be.
Sue, correct me if I'm wrong , but I also think you mentioned imprisonments as punishments for those in the US that violate your lockdown wishes.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I suspect that I am one of those you label "obsessive." I go grocery shopping several times a week, eat at restaurants, have traveled to Europe, etc. With one exception, I am living a normal life. The one concession I make is that I often wear a KN95 mask. Why? According to Pompey Family I am more at risk having an underlying condition (I am over seventy) and thus at greater risk of a more severe case. There are people out there with Covid who don't want to isolate. I want to protect myself against them. (According to MdRef it is not up to others to worry about me, it is up to me to protect myself.)

I am curious about you. You claim that MrockStar answered well for you, that when you had Covid symptoms, you isolated. Isolated means no human contact whatsoever. (If I had tested positive while in Europe, I would have had to stay in a hotel room with no human contact whatsoever - food delivered outside the door etc.) Yet you claim not to have been inhibited by the scare of Covid and are living normally. This seems like a contradiction to me.

There's no contradiction. I was sick. I can work from home so I did. I live alone so I had no one entering / exiting my house who was exposed to me who was then mingling w/the outside world. I had an appt that was scheduled in my house last week w/a contractor. I called and cancelled it. I was going to visit my mother - obviously I called that off. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand here.

And to call it "No human contact whatsoever" is an over-statement. I work. I was in all kinds of online meetings. I have a phone -- texting, chatting, FaceTiming w/friends. Own a Peloton so was working out in live classes. It was 5 days. I was hardly in solitary confinement.
These days everybody's on their computers seeing/engaging with all kinds of people near and far, and for that reason I don't think any of us interpret "isolation" to mean "solitary confinement." But your response to Roger leaves me wondering how many in-person human contacts you had during your week of self-described isolation, and if it was one or more why did you call it "isolation?"

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
These days everybody's on their computers seeing/engaging with all kinds of people near and far, and for that reason I don't think any of us interpret "isolation" to mean "solitary confinement." But your response to Roger leaves me wondering how many in-person human contacts you had during your week of self-described isolation, and if it was one or more why did you call it "isolation?"
Good morning Sue! I see you have woken up on the wrong side of the bed.

Actually not sure that I agree with you that everyone knows that "isolation with no human contact whatsoever" (as Roger described) is different than solitary confinement. Roger is an older gentleman, so I am making some assumptions here. Not sure if he was actively working pre-Zoom. Has he routinely exercised via internet technology connecting w/a live class? Don't know. But when he uses a hotel room example and says "isolation with no human contact whatsoever" - I interpret that like solitary confinement.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sue, correct me if I'm wrong , but I also think you mentioned imprisonments as punishments for those in the US that violate your lockdown wishes.
Yep. I said in *hindsight* something along the lines of, I wish we had in the beginning been as strict as China including imprisonment of the selfish people who thought they were above the law and ignored mandates. When I was accused of saying that I currently want my country's leaders to be now implementing practices as strict as what's happening in China now, I tried to explain that that's NOT what I meant and that even if I did, the time when lockdowns and imprisonments might have had the desired effect of mitigating COVID-19 has long since passed.

I'm sure I'll be trying to explain the nuance of hindsight for the rest of my days on TUG, because it's so convenient for just the words "lockdown" and "improsinment" and "like China" to be quoted without any of the context. You all make sure that you milk as much fun out of that as you can, because God knows COVID-19 is a hysterically funny topic.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep. I said in *hindsight* something along the lines of, I wish we had in the beginning been as strict as China including imprisonment of the selfish people who thought they were above the law and ignored mandates. When I was accused of saying that I currently want my country's leaders to be now implementing practices as strict as what's happening in China now, I tried to explain that that's NOT what I meant and that even if I did, the time when lockdowns and imprisonments might have had the desired effect of mitigating COVID-19 has long since passed.

I'm sure I'll be trying to explain the nuance of hindsight for the rest of my days on TUG, because it's so convenient for just the words "lockdown" and "improsinment" and "like China" to be quoted without any of the context. You all make sure that you milk as much fun out of that as you can, because God knows COVID-19 is a hysterically funny topic.
here you go -- just don't want to mis-quote you.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good morning Sue! I see you have woken up on the wrong side of the bed.

Actually not sure that I agree with you that everyone knows that "isolation with no human contact whatsoever" (as Roger described) is different than solitary confinement. Roger is an older gentleman, so I am making some assumptions here. Not sure if he was actively working pre-Zoom. Has he routinely exercised via internet technology connecting w/a live class? Don't know. But when he uses a hotel room example and says "isolation with no human contact whatsoever" - I interpret that like solitary confinement.
I might have missed your answer in all that deflection - how many *in-person* contacts did you have during your week of isolation? Was it more or less than Roger would have had *if he had to isolate during his travels* which it appeared he didn't?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
here you go -- just don't want to mis-quote you.

And here you go, the explanation after I was accused of wanting my country to be currently in lockdown as strict as China's: https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/s...rs-on-masks-requirements.337530/#post-2771727

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I might have missed your answer in all that deflection - how many *in-person* contacts did you have during your week of isolation? Was it more or less than Roger would have had *if he had to isolate during his travels* which it appeared he didn't?
I didn't deflect. Because I explained earlier in TUG that I was tucked safely in my home for 5 days (with the exception of walking my dog) and during that times I had no in person contacts. I live in a small town now Sue and when I walk my dog I often don't see anyone. I'm not sure why this is so difficult to grasp. I live alone. In a quiet area. Had no compelling reason to go out. It was 5 days. What more do you want me to say about this?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I didn't deflect. Because I explained earlier in TUG that I was tucked safely in my home for 5 days (with the exception of walking my dog) and during that times I had no in person contacts. I live in a small town now Sue and when I walk my dog I often don't see anyone. I'm not sure why this is so difficult to grasp. I live alone. In a quiet area. Had no compelling reason to go out. It was 5 days. What more do you want me to say about this?
So if you describe isolation to mean having no *in-person contacts* and Roger describes it the same, regardless of where it happens or how many times a person chooses to log onto their computers during it, why did you respond to Roger's question the way you did? He said it's a contradiction for you to say that you were at the same time both isolated and not inhibited by fears of COVID, and you responded that there's no contradiction?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
So if you describe isolation to mean having no *in-person contacts* and Roger describes it the same, regardless of where it happens or how many times a person chooses to log onto their computers during it, why did you respond to Roger's question the way you did? He said it's a contradiction for you to say that you were at the same time both isolated and not inhibited by fears of COVID, and you responded that there's no contradiction?
This conversation is devolving into ridiculousness. The point is, I had no face to face contact w/anyone for 5 days while I was ill. Have a blessed day.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This conversation is devolving into ridiculousness. The point is, I had no face to face contact w/anyone for 5 days while I was ill. Have a blessed day.
If you weren't inhibited by COVID, wouldn't you have likely been working outside your home and working out in the gym? So isn't Roger correct in saying that you contradicted yourself?

(Call it ridiculous all you want but it's only your words which you're being asked to explain. You certainly have no problem repeatedly asking others to explain their words, do you?)

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Coming to America?

Deaths per 100,000, daily average

US .11
Worldwide .2
Europe 1.43

I suppose it is possible that what is happening in Europe won't happen here, but I can't help but think of the slogan from my college days: You don't have to be a weatherman to know which direction the wind is blowing.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
It really is pointless trying to compare infection and death rates between countries simply because there are differing methods in recording infections and deaths, testing rates and false data....China's mortality figures anyone?

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I
Coming to America?

Deaths per 100,000, daily average

US .11
Worldwide .2
Europe 1.43

I suppose it is possible that what is happening in Europe won't happen here, but I can't help but think of the slogan from my college days: You don't have to be a weatherman to know which direction the wind is blowing.
Hi... I'm in Europe and have been here throughout the beginning of the pandemic. Missed going to USA for 2 yrs . Here restrictions have lifted yet people are still required to make in health centers and on public transportation. Numbers are on rise yet 90%plus have Vax. Seems like what happens here with regard to virus follows ip in USA a few weeks to a month behind.