• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

OLD/Closed General Discussion Thread: C-19/Hawaii. Will Hawaii re-open Oct. 15th? (+ NEW POLL)

When do you think Hawaii will re-open? (End 14 day quarantine.)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
So im a Hawaii resident. My advice is if you can put your vacation off until at least mid Dec. Do so. The state of Hawaii is reactive not proactive-very likely the first group of visitors in Oct/Nov will have issues.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
56 new cases today, continuing the downward slide after the post Labor Day peak of 160. 7-day average now below 100. But for some crazy unexpected leap the other direction, the Oct 15 date should hold. Even as they loosen some rules, there probably won't be enough time for it to go south before Oct. 15.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
I’m hoping to keep my Maui reservation for Thanksgiving. I am not a member of Kaiser, so I went through the CVS website to see what’s involved. It said I was not priority and could not make as appointment. Hoping there are more options coming in the next weeks.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
IMO you are jumping the gun expecting a government entity working with private enterprise to have everything worked out 25 days before the October 15th effective date. Give it a couple of weeks and hopefully Hawaii will have their act together.

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The State Department of Health has changed their FAQ to indicate "three days" instead of "72 hours".

View attachment 26721
So if one were planning arriving on a Friday, does that mean one needs to be tested on Tuesday or Wednesday? I’m guessing Tuesday, but I could see potentially Wednesday since Wednesday is day 1, Thursday is day 2 and Friday is day 3. Not my interpretation, but simply pointing out wanting Exact clarification. I tried calling the number on the contacts information from the Hawaii website but got some response saying to call back later!

HGVC Lover

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo and HGVC Paradise
So im a Hawaii resident. My advice is if you can put your vacation off until at least mid Dec. Do so. The state of Hawaii is reactive not proactive-very likely the first group of visitors in Oct/Nov will have issues.

I agree having lived in Hawaii for many years too.....we have moved our annual vacation several times already this Fall and I am not optimistic about October15th either since HI keeps putting out new start dates for visitors with a negative Covid test.

It is hard to see how CVS nationally is going to really care about providing Covid tests to HI visitors when I am sure they are going to have their hands full this Fall with the flu and nationally increasing Covid cases. With nearly 300,000 deaths predicted by the first of December it does not seem realistic.

Also, I hope people are aware, that at this time, if you get the tests 72 hours prior to arrival but no results that you will have to quarantine until you can show negative test results. On the Big Island you are not allowed to quarantine in timeshares or VRBO's so you would have to stay in a hotel until you could provide results. Also, you will get no rental car until you can provide a negative tests.

There definitely are a lot of moving parts to this new opening date and it sounds like everything has to happen absolutely perfectly or you could find yourself in a costly situation after you land.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
So if one were planning arriving on a Friday, does that mean one needs to be tested on Tuesday or Wednesday? I’m guessing Tuesday, but I could see potentially Wednesday since Wednesday is day 1, Thursday is day 2 and Friday is day 3. Not my interpretation, but simply pointing out wanting Exact clarification. I tried calling the number on the contacts information from the Hawaii website but got some response saying to call back later!
I believe it would be Tuesday. If you think in terms of 72 hours, from Friday back to Thursday is 24, to Wednesday is 48, to Tuesday is 72. You count the intervals, not the day.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I believe it would be Tuesday. If you think in terms of 72 hours, from Friday back to Thursday is 24, to Wednesday is 48, to Tuesday is 72. You count the intervals, not the day.

I agree with @csodjd one would not count the testing day.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
There was an article in yesterday's Star-Advertiser, seems people and businesses are getting frustrated with the lack of details on the reopening plan:

I think the corona virus coverage is still open to all, no paywall

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree having lived in Hawaii for many years too.....we have moved our annual vacation several times already this Fall and I am not optimistic about October15th either since HI keeps putting out new start dates for visitors with a negative Covid test.

It is hard to see how CVS nationally is going to really care about providing Covid tests to HI visitors when I am sure they are going to have their hands full this Fall with the flu and nationally increasing Covid cases. With nearly 300,000 deaths predicted by the first of December it does not seem realistic.

Also, I hope people are aware, that at this time, if you get the tests 72 hours prior to arrival but no results that you will have to quarantine until you can show negative test results. On the Big Island you are not allowed to quarantine in timeshares or VRBO's so you would have to stay in a hotel until you could provide results. Also, you will get no rental car until you can provide a negative tests.

There definitely are a lot of moving parts to this new opening date and it sounds like everything has to happen absolutely perfectly or you could find yourself in a costly situation after you land.

We are already booked for the Big Island next May. I considered booking an earlier trip to different island, and actually found some availability over the Christmas break.. But then after thinking about it more i decided to wait until Hawaii is actually open and i see how its working before i try and book a second trip. Juts too many moving parts for my liking. Our May trip was using points and airline credits from canceled 2020 trips, so nothing new out of pocket. Booking a second trip will require some new spending, and would prefer to avoid ending up with even more credits due to canceled trips if I can avoid it.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Article this morning about CVS not being ready yet.

Could Hawaii make it any more confusing?! This is a quote in the article from the Lt. Governor (emphasis added): “We are going to check that you got that within a 72-hour window of departure,” said Green. “Because you can’t get the test three weeks out and it won’t be worth anything.”

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
There was an article in yesterday's Star-Advertiser, seems people and businesses are getting frustrated with the lack of details on the reopening plan:

I think the corona virus coverage is still open to all, no paywall
I'm imagining the "kick off" of the "start of fall tourism" being 11 people getting off an airplane on Oct. 16, waiting in line for 45 minutes while $12/hr workers try and find their online records and verify their test results. :oops:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Until this is better controlled, I’ll vacation somewhere else, if at all. Hawaii is to far away and to expensive to risk it IMHO.

Yes, and I am not sure how well their medical system will be able to handle a surge in cases (if indeed a surge comes about)........

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
'm imagining the "kick off" of the "start of fall tourism" being 11 people getting off an airplane on Oct. 16, waiting in line for 45 minutes while $12/hr workers try and find their online records and verify their test results. :oops:

I agree that is a real possibility. I think other big risk righ now is that big companies like Hawaiian Airlines, Pleasant Holidays, etc move forward with advertising and booking vacations and then the state discovers all details they missed to make this workable, leaving unhappy tourists.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes, and I am not sure how well their medical system will be able to handle a surge in cases (if indeed a surge comes about).......

They will utilize all the empty cruise ships as plague ships taking tourists back to the mainland. ;)

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
63 new cases today. About the same as yesterday. Appears to be stabilizing.

HGVC Lover

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo and HGVC Paradise
Could Hawaii make it any more confusing?! This is a quote in the article from the Lt. Governor (emphasis added): “We are going to check that you got that within a 72-hour window of departure,” said Green. “Because you can’t get the test three weeks out and it won’t be worth anything.”

The other thing that is confusing to me is the test 72 hours prior to departure/arrival in the time zone I live in or HST? If it is HST then that actually allows a window of only 69 hours for west coast people? And people on the east coast would have only a 66 hour window if it is based on HST?

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well first they said within 72 hours and then changed the website to say 3 days and now the LG is saying 72 hours again. WTH? They need to make up their minds!!!

The other thing that is confusing to me is the test 72 hours prior to departure/arrival in the time zone I live in or HST? If it is HST then that actually allows a window of only 69 hours for west coast people? And people on the east coast would have only a 66 hour window if it is based on HST?

scottann92

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the most depressing thread I have read in a long time. Where's the positivity, I'm a nurses and have seen it here. It is getting better!!!
They will utilize all the empty cruise ships as plague ships taking tourists back to the mainland. ;)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is the most depressing thread I have read in a long time. Where's the positivity, I'm a nurses and have seen it here. It is getting better!!!

Hawaii is in a unique and precarious position: They have to have a solid entry process in place, to avoid having a big C19 breakout among visitors, which will overwhelm their hospitals. Rose colored glasses won't get that done.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Governor says children that don't have a negative covide teste must quarantine.

This does not affect me, as we don't travel with any young children but I can see that this will be a disappointment to many.

I found it interesting that Gov mentioned that the two partners, CVS and Kaiser won't test kids, so its up to the parents to find someone who is willing to test their kids.. I would guess that there must be a reason CVS and Kaiser won't test kids, not just that they are trying to be difficult..

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
The Governor says children that don't have a negative covide teste must quarantine.

This does not affect me, as we don't travel with any young children but I can see that this will be a disappointment to many.

I found it interesting that Gov mentioned that the two partners, CVS and Kaiser won't test kids, so its up to the parents to find someone who is willing to test their kids.. I would guess that there must be a reason CVS and Kaiser won't test kids, not just that they are trying to be difficult..

I thought it was rediculous that they were making a couple quarantine for 14 days or return to the Continental United States since they had an infant that could NOT be tested. However, that was an infant who really doesn't go anywhere. School age children are going to school and playing with their friends which is a totally different story as far as testing. They need to be tested or quarantined.

However, making families with young children quarantine since they can't get tested is going to really going to reduce the big Holiday Vacation Arrivals that normally come to Hawaii.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club

I'm not a pediatrician, but I can imagine that putting a swab deep up the nose of a baby may be different than an adult and/or require different training or skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.