• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

COVID-19: Is it safer to visit a coffee shop or a gym?

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
So...we've been told to stay indoors and not go outside. I know people who are afraid to go outside at all. And a big hissy fit was thrown in the media about beachgoers.
Where we live we have always been able to go outside except in large groups. You guys have been told to stay *inside*? Wow. That's very restrictive.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
microbiologist in article says, indoors, esp. with lots of air expelled--heavy breathing, singing, yelling, lots of talking is most risky. And the longer you're there, the more exposure-so not sit downs at inside restaurants for us. I'll look for places with outdoor seating. To see friends, I'll do coffee shop quickly in mask and then to outdoor seating. Backyard BBQ with social distancing is what we'll do going forward this summer to see relatives. I think church is online for the summer.
just bought a croquet set.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
microbiologist in article says, indoors, esp. with lots of air expelled--heavy breathing, singing, yelling, lots of talking is most risky. And the longer you're there, the more exposure-so not sit downs at inside restaurants for us. I'll look for places with outdoor seating. To see friends, I'll do coffee shop quickly in mask and then to outdoor seating. Backyard BBQ with social distancing is what we'll do going forward this summer to see relatives. I think church is online for the summer.
As we have begun opening up our pod (my mom, and my daughter & SIL) we do most everything outside. Our backyard firepit and the corn hole game are getting a lot of regular use. I am sure that in the future we will be doing more entertaining at home.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As we have begun opening up our pod (my mom, and my daughter & SIL) we do most everything outside. Our backyard firepit and the corn hole game are getting a lot of regular use. I am sure that in the future we will be doing more entertaining at home.
I like your use of "pod" here.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
IMO a massive problem in American life these days (which of course bleeds over into Canadian life) is that a large number of people and institutions are adverse to learning how to deal with the coronavirus for fear that it would reveal that many of their early opinions were wrong. Their filter on reality requires doubling-down with the blunt instrument of lockdowns rather than admitting that we now know more about COVID-19 and a more nuanced approach for dealing with the coronavirus is now more appropriate. The New York Times has been a primary perpetrator of this worldview, however, without admitting that much of their recent STAY SAFE!! hectoring was misguided, is now beginning to kind of get it.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
IMO a massive problem in American life these days (which of course bleeds over into Canadian life) is that a large number of people and institutions are adverse to learning how to deal with the coronavirus for fear that it would reveal that many of their early opinions were wrong. Their filter on reality requires doubling-down with the blunt instrument of lockdowns rather than admitting that we now know more about COVID-19 and a more nuanced approach for dealing with the coronavirus is now more appropriate. The New York Times has been a primary perpetrator of this worldview, however, without admitting that much of their recent STAY SAFE!! hectoring was misguided, is now beginning to kind of get it.
I couldn’t read the article but do get the idea with your few lines.

These lockdowns were done to flatten the curve so our medical system wouldn’t get overwhelmed. To keep everything locked doesn’t make the virus disappear. It is still all over the world. Life must go on and we need to learn to live with it taking the best precautions we can.

Seeing this all or nothing mentally doesn’t help as when phases open many become lax with necessary precautions for safety. Time will teach us our errors and fix our ways hopefully.

Brett

Reaction score
I couldn’t read the article but do get the idea with your few lines.

These lockdowns were done to flatten the curve so our medical system wouldn’t get overwhelmed. To keep everything locked doesn’t make the virus disappear. It is still all over the world. Life must go on and we need to learn to live with it taking the best precautions we can.

Seeing this all or nothing mentally doesn’t help as when phases open many become lax with necessary precautions for safety. Time will teach us our errors and fix our ways hopefully.

a couple of paragraphs from the article:

"The good news: Interviews show a growing consensus among experts that, if Americans are going to leave their homes, it’s safer to be outside than in the office or the mall. With fresh air and more space between people, the risk goes down.

Pandemic life is safer outdoors, in part, because even a light wind will quickly dilute the virus. If a person nearby is sick, the wind will scatter the virus, potentially exposing nearby people but in far smaller quantities, which are less likely to be harmful."

bottom line: outdoors is good, just observe social distancing guidelines

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I was asked, by the owner of the gym I go to, two questions. Would I go back to the gym in the short terms. Would I never go back. My first answer was, no I would not go back in the short term. To the second question I answered I would like to go back, but I don't know when I will feel comfortable doing so.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Actually. I think the microbiologist article cited by nytimes and cnn says Mall is probably not that bad with mask in limited duration if high ceilings (to diffuse air) and not crowded. Mall worker who’s in store all day with multiple possible exposures has more risk. Small inside places esp restaurants are worrisome.
It would be good to have public service announcements saying “choose outside if possible.”

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm disappointed that we are this far into the coronavirus pandemic and nobody seems to know how risky specific activities are. Is walking on the beach safer than exercising in a gym? How about eating on a patio vs. eating in a dining room? Is a spinning class riskier than yoga? Is loud talking and animated activity riskier than quiet reflection?
I agree with this-all articles are still peppered with "I think" or "guesses" C'mon already! It never made sense that just being outdoors was as high risk as indoors-yet many were shaming anyone for going outside (one of my favorite podcasts started that nonsense way back) even if staying a distance away.
Yep! While I don't agree with the way protestors went about it (at all) I do get the sentiment (a little bit anyway) about loosening some restrictions and making more common sense decisions (getting garden seeds=dangerous; getting milk=OK especially in the same store; closing public spaces forcing more people into less space).

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
It's "news" like this that is hard to replace with real evidence about how the coronavirus spreads.

At this point I don't think the coronavirus spreads much by touching surfaces but how would I know since our "experts" have been flip-flopping on what we should and shouldn't do since the Wuhan outbreak started. I understand we're learning about the coronavirus as we go but, c'mon guys, make an effort!

Last edited: