• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

COVID-19: Is it safer to visit a coffee shop or a gym?

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag

I'm disappointed that we are this far into the coronavirus pandemic and nobody seems to know how risky specific activities are. Is walking on the beach safer than exercising in a gym? How about eating on a patio vs. eating in a dining room? Is a spinning class riskier than yoga? Is loud talking and animated activity riskier than quiet reflection?

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Outside dining is better than inside, until temps are in the 90s.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Probably won't be doing either for awhile.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
eating on a patio vs. eating in a dining room?
DH (in medical field) saw stats that outdoors was 18X safer than indoors. and so also likely that beach is also safer than indoor gym.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the ongoing debate I'm having with my daughter regarding travel. I have a trip to San Francisco Bay Area planned for early June. I am comfortable flying out of my local Palm Springs airport. She says I cannot see her and the boys unless I chose to drive there. I'm not comfortable driving alone for 8 hours, so will need to stay in a hotel one night. I'm looking at gas stops, food stops, and a otel stop.

I'm not really debating this with her. She holds the power. I probably wouldn't worry about not seeing her, but one of my grandsons (age 8) has expressed to me on phone and in a letter how much he misses me.I

I mentioned to DD that I was more frightened by the 200 cars in the Wal-Mart parking lot and the line of people waiting to go in. (I don't shop Wal-Mart so was only driving by.)

Maybe I won't visit her after all.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would say outdoors is safer, but it also depends on how well people are physically distancing themselves.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ultraviolet sun light kills viruses. Out side wins hands down for me and :cool: my family.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Ultraviolet sun light kills viruses. Out side wins hands down for me and :cool: my family.

I rarely sit in direct sunlight for a variety of reasons, so this only sort of helps me decide...

I think there are so many variables that its hard make accurate generalizations about which business are 'safe"

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Reminds me of the ongoing debate I'm having with my daughter regarding travel. I have a trip to San Francisco Bay Area planned for early June. I am comfortable flying out of my local Palm Springs airport. She says I cannot see her and the boys unless I chose to drive there. I'm not comfortable driving alone for 8 hours, so will need to stay in a hotel one night. I'm looking at gas stops, food stops, and a otel stop.

I'm not really debating this with her. She holds the power. I probably wouldn't worry about not seeing her, but one of my grandsons (age 8) has expressed to me on phone and in a letter how much he misses me.I

I mentioned to DD that I was more frightened by the 200 cars in the Wal-Mart parking lot and the line of people waiting to go in. (I don't shop Wal-Mart so was only driving by.)

Maybe I won't visit her after all.

Drive! The weather is great and traffic is (mostly) light. Go slowly and try to enjoy it. I’d just suggest planning your stops in advance and verify they’re open, especially the hotel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My only concern with a gym is that COVID is a respiratory virus. Most people, when working out at the gym have an elevated respiratory rate. So, if someone there happens to have the virus, your chances of catching it are higher. Everyone is breathing heavy, both the sick and the healthy. So, I think the chances of catching it at a gym grow exponentially. I am not sure the six-foot social distancing applies at a gym. Perhaps more like 15 feet. Who knows? Not enough research on it yet. I don't think it is about cleanliness of the machines as much as it is about respiratory rate. In a gym, you are pretty much breathing in the air I am breathing out. No different than at a coffee shop, only at a much higher volume.

Last edited:

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Really, it's all about
1)How close do you have to get to other people to do X activity
2)How long do you have to be close to other people to do X activity
3)How many people will have touched how many common surfaces before you touch them in order to do X activity

The less people, the further away they are, the less time you have to be around them, and the less you have to touch common surfaces, the safer the activity is.

It's like season 1 of The Good Place: Hell is other people. ;) #spoileralert

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
My country club is starting outside exercise classes next week. They also expect to re-open the gym in mid-May. They mentioned re-opening the restaurant soon. I will probably do all of this when it is available. I am ready to go back to life.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
My gym shut down well before the stay at home order went into effect. They didn't want to be "that place" where people got sick. My trainer has been doing one on one classes at a local park, so I've been going to her two days a week.

The gym is not in a rush to open up, and I doubt it will be in the first, or even second wave of businesses that our governor will open. I've heard from my trainer that the owner of the gym is trying to figure out how he can open safely. There are members who aren't in a rush and may not come back even when it opens.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
My only concern with a gym is that COVID is a respiratory virus. Most people, when working out at the gym have an elevated respiratory rate. So, if someone there happens to have the virus, your chances of catching it are higher. Everyone is breathing heavy, both the sick and the healthy. So, I think the chances of catching it at a gym brow exponentially. I am not sure the six-foot social distancing applies at a gym. Perhaps more like 15 feet. Who knows? Not enough research on it yet. I don't think it is about cleanliness of the machines as much as it is about respiratory rate. In a gym, you are pretty much breathing in the air I am breathing out. No different than at a coffee shop, only at a much higher volume.

I give you credit for answering this question in detail. I assumed we all knew this, and have just been amazed at people wanting to go to the gym during a pandemic.

On a similar note, I spoke with a runner friend of mine who said the advice for runners is ~15 feet separation. Of course, she’s not running at all (in Manhattan) since she thinks it’s crazy to risk it when there are safer options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We were just talking about the gym. It's going to be awhile before I feel comfortable going there.

I don't usually go to coffee shops so that is less important to me but I agree with @dioxide45 about the reasons that the gym isn't safe, and compared to the gym I would think that the coffee shop is safer, but home is safest of all.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Well obviously the only correct answer is the outdoor coffee shop and gym!

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glynda, thank you for posting that article! Very informative. Hopefully lots will read it even though it is long.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
DH (in medical field) saw stats that outdoors was 18X safer than indoors. and so also likely that beach is also safer than indoor gym.
So...we've been told to stay indoors and not go outside. I know people who are afraid to go outside at all. And a big hissy fit was thrown in the media about beachgoers.

Last edited: