• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Countertop Reverse Osmosis Water Purification Systems

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
With the water we have here in NE Florida tasting so bad out of the tap, I am seriously considering a countertop RO water purification system. I am tired of having to keep buying one gallon jugs of spring water and when I run out it means another trip to the grocery store. We probably go through a gallon or more a day. There looks to be several countertop RO options out there but the AquaTru seems to be at the top of the recommended list. Does anyone have any experience with any such countertop RO systems? I have watched a lot of YouTube videos (but many seem to be paid plugs). They aren't cheap things to consider, so I was hoping someone may have some personal experience with one brand or another. TIA!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Over the past few decades we have used the RO faucet systems sold at Home Depot and Lowes, about $200-250 each. Easy install, and easy to replace cartridges. Our is also plumbed to our refrigerator so cold water and ice are purified.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I’ve had a few of the reverse systems and then changed to the simple filter systems instead. The bodyglove product was great and now have a more generic solution (i forgot the name but could check later). I almost bought a Kangan water filter after trying it at my gym…it was excellent and offered lots of options, but also was expensive. You may want to research that brand…I think there are similar products which are less expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
DH & I were just talking this morning about the taste of the tap water here in St. Augustine. I brought a Brita jug and 2 filters with us which is taking most of the weird taste out for us but it is a pain filling the jug multiple times a day. We both drink a lot of water each day and I even use filtered water to make tea and coffee. We are just starting our research into water filter systems and I will watch this thread to see what others are doing.

~Diane

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
DH & I were just talking this morning about the taste of the tap water here in St. Augustine. I brought a Brita jug and 2 filters with us which is taking most of the weird taste out for us but it is a pain filling the jug multiple times a day. We both drink a lot of water each day and I even use filtered water to make tea and coffee. We are just starting our research into water filter systems and I will watch this thread to see what others are doing.

~Diane
It seems that a lot of the countertop RO systems still require a lot of refilling of the tank if you drink a lot of water. We had used Brita many years ago back in Ohio but I don't like having to replace the filters so often. It seems the ones in the RO systems have different life cycles on filters anywhere from 6 to 24 months depending on the stage of the filter. The systems seem to be smart enough to indicate when it is time to replace an individual filter stage. Given how much water you drink, you may want an under sink system or just have several pitchers on hand to empty filtered water from the RO system into when filtration has been completed.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In our previous home, we paid $1,500 to a Costco vendor to install an under sink RO system. The installer also connected to the pipe which fed the fridge, so that we also got RO water through the fridge as well as source of water for the ice-maker. There are 2 kinds of membrane with the system, one needs to be replaced yearly while the other every 3 years.

Fast forward, we sold that home and bought our current home which comes with whole house R/O system. We also have a whole house water softener. The guy who came out to service it yearly told us that he only needs to be out every other year because soften water source extends the life of the R/O membrane. Techincally, we can change the membrane filter ourselves but we prefer to pay the company to do so. We love the whole house R/O system. We have 5 sinks in the house with the R/O faucets.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I installed a GE under the sink reverse osmosis system about 5 years ago. It wasn't difficult to install. I bought it at Lowes for under $200. Culligan rents and installs these under the sink ro units. I think they sell and service ro units too.

Bill

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I considered an undercounter, but don't really want to deal with drilling through the countertop and we also don't have a lot of room under there. I am also thinking that with a countertop RO system we could take it on driving timeshare trips. Especially to Orlando where the water is even worse than it is her in Jacksonville.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I considered an undercounter, but don't really want to deal with drilling through the countertop and we also don't have a lot of room under there. I am also thinking that with a countertop RO system we could take it on driving timeshare trips. Especially to Orlando where the water is even worse than it is her in Jacksonville.

I was watching this guy on youtube a while back. I'm looking for a purifier that will clean river water at our cabin. I winterize the well in the winter so we have to bring drinking water in. We have just boiled river water but it's a pain. I thought about getting the aqua2 but I just bring drinking water.

Bill

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I've use a Brita, bought untold cases of Kirkland water, and had a water service. I currently fill two 5 gallon jugs at a local water store, 40 cents a gallon for 5 stage purification. They have 24/7 dispensers. I bought a Brio underneath feed dispenser, it works great and we have chilled, ambient, and hot water spigots. It has a self cleaning ozone cycle.

I am interested in RO systems so following along with how this turns out. Our local water is not that bad but occasionally they have repairs and the flushing gives us brown water. We do prefer the taste of purified water, and the convenience of instant hot water for tea. We go through 5 gallons every three days.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I’d use a Brita or similar at timeshares, but a Kangan or something more permanent at home…the quality difference is obvious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you use a TDS/PPM meter, Brita takes out very little. As an example, where we live, tap water has 375 PPM. After running it through PUR or BRITA, it drops to 350 PPM. However, R/O water comes in between 5 to 12 PPM.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If you use a TDS/PPM meter, Brita takes out very little. As an example, where we live, tap water has 375 PPM. After running it through PUR or BRITA, it drops to 350 PPM. However, R/O water comes in between 5 to 12 PPM.
Another thing I have been looking at is a remineralizer. It seems RO takes out too much. Not only does it remove the "bad stuff" but it also removes good minerals that your body actually needs. It seems the AquaTru has a mineral/alkaline stage 4 filter that adds back in minerals and helps with pH balance. Once can also buy certain products for remineralizing, but when you go that rout, you are just cheaper to keep buying spring water by the gallon.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another thing I have been looking at is a remineralizer. It seems RO takes out too much. Not only does it remove the "bad stuff" but it also removes good minerals that your body actually needs. It seems the AquaTru has a mineral/alkaline stage 4 filter that adds back in minerals and helps with pH balance. Once can also buy certain products for remineralizing, but when you go that rout, you are just cheaper to keep buying spring water by the gallon.
Very true that R/O takes out too much. But I figure with balanced diet, we get enough vitamins and minerals. When I do hydroponics, I add Cal-Mag which ensures calcium and magnesium are added in, besides the regular liquid fertilizer.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dioxide45, I use a APEC Water Systems R/O for my aquariums. Cartridges are good for 600 gallons. I don't add a stage 4, as I run very soft water for my fish, that like/need soft water. They make a fancy countertop filter system for drinking water. I don't like under counter R/O systems, it can be a pain to get under to change filters.