• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Couldn’t Pass Up the Hilton Hawaiian Village Kamaaina Special

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Is that the HHV at 4AM in the morning!! I have never seen it that empty even at 1AM or 6 AM in the morning. This is the peak Christmas Week. I think for things to start to perk up in Waikki the vaccine will need to be flowing to many more people.

Yes, it’s very different here now. I think it will take a while even after the vaccine. People aren’t going to have much money either. Not to mention Japan. They will have to lift their 14 day quarantine also. It does amaze me that this is Christmas weekend.

We were talking about it again this evening and we are glad we took advantage of this unique opportunity. We had a great time.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
From Lagoon Tower oceanview rooms we've always had the Diamond Head side, never the harbor view. Seems we get to watch the sunrise, but don't see sunset except when we are oceanfront. Any thoughts/preferences?

This is my only visit so not a lot of perspective here but we mostly go to Waikiki Beach when we go to the beach and we can see Diamond Head from our apartment so the Harbor view was nice but the second oceanfront lanai really made the view for us.

Id our kids were with us though, I would have chosen the Diamond Head side since they aren’t used to seeing that view.

I chose this room from the Hilton App and I started at the 31st floor and worked my way down. My wife likes the higher floors. I think I looked all the way down to the 15th flor and this was the only corner unit that wasn’t an upgrade. When I had Hilton choose the room they had us on the 9th floor. We would definitely take this unit again.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
This is my only visit so not a lot of perspective here but we mostly go to Waikiki Beach when we go to the beach and we can see Diamond Head from our apartment so the Harbor view was nice but the second oceanfront lanai really made the view for us.

Id our kids were with us though, I would have chosen the Diamond Head side since they aren’t used to seeing that view.

I chose this room from the Hilton App and I started at the 31st floor and worked my way down. My wife likes the higher floors. I think I looked all the way down to the 15th flor and this was the only corner unit that wasn’t an upgrade. When I had Hilton choose the room they had us on the 9th floor. We would definitely take this unit again.
We always try and avoid the middle floors because they present an elevator challenge. Probably less an issue now, but in the busy days it was. I found the “trick” was to take an elevator to the top, then down from there. When you’re on ~15, trying to get down, by the time the elevator would get down to your floor it was always full.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
From Lagoon Tower oceanview rooms we've always had the Diamond Head side, never the harbor view. Seems we get to watch the sunrise, but don't see sunset except when we are oceanfront. Any thoughts/preferences?

When on the Diamond Head I don't really think you are getting to watch the actual Sunrise from the earth up since I believe that there are buildings in the way. On the Harbor View Side you do get to watch the Sunset down to the earth "most" of the year. We usually stay in a Studio without a Lanai so in November-February you can't see the Sunset since you are not sticking out from the building. When March comes around you can see it beautifully going into the Ocean on a clear day. In a 1 or 2 BR unit you probably can see in most of the time but I don't know this time on the year when the days are the shortest and the Sun sets earlier and more to the East.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
We always try and avoid the middle floors because they present an elevator challenge. Probably less an issue now, but in the busy days it was. I found the “trick” was to take an elevator to the top, then down from there. When you’re on ~15, trying to get down, by the time the elevator would get down to your floor it was always full.

That is a Lagoon Tower problem. Since the Lagoon Tower was the Lagoon Apartments when it was built there is no service elevator. The cleaning, maintenance and bell staff need to use the guest elevators, therefore, the 3 elevators do get overloaded quite often during the work day. Think about when one is down!!!

The Rainbow Tower is different but there is a problem with them also when it is busy. First of all they do have a service elevator since it was built as a Hotel with service people. Second they have an Elevator Control System that is new and has its own set of challenges. When you want to call the elevator to pick you up you select the floor you want to go to and the elevator system responds with an elevator Letter. The elevator system schedules which elevator will come to pick you up as it has for other people. Therefore, when you get in the elevator your floor is already selected and will stop at your selected floor. Great right. Well how does the elevator know how many in your party? What if you and others that are using that elevator pushed the floor with 5 or 6 people in your party. The elevator will be overcrowded. So much for a smart elevator system which is the same as the one in Grand Islander.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is a Lagoon Tower problem. Since the Lagoon Tower was the Lagoon Apartments when it was built there is no service elevator. The cleaning, maintenance and bell staff need to use the guest elevators, therefore, the 3 elevators do get overloaded quite often during the work day. Think about when one is down!!!

The Rainbow Tower is different but there is a problem with them also when it is busy. First of all they do have a service elevator since it was built as a Hotel with service people. Second they have an Elevator Control System that is new and has its own set of challenges. When you want to call the elevator to pick you up you select the floor you want to go to and the elevator system responds with an elevator Letter. The elevator system schedules which elevator will come to pick you up as it has for other people. Therefore, when you get in the elevator your floor is already selected and will stop at your selected floor. Great right. Well how does the elevator know how many in your party? What if you and others that are using that elevator pushed the floor with 5 or 6 people in your party. The elevator will be overcrowded. So much for a smart elevator system which is the same as the one in Grand Islander.

This is the same system we have on our apartment building.There are 3 elevators there and it’s not as busy so it works fine.

The problem at HHV now is they only want two people or one party per elevator. Some people tell others that they are fine riding with more people and say they can get on if they like. Most people are getting in.

The other issue Is when there is a long line on the beach side and another line on the front desk side, there is no order of how to go. Many times When you get an elevator, it has to stop 5 times when there is only one or two party’s in there.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Beautiful morning today.

656B42A5-7F1D-4571-863A-C1125EE8ED67.jpeg
4121D94B-F742-4D42-8FD3-CE34EB3D8834.jpeg

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Time to go out in search of that pot 'o gold at the end of it!

Looks like you had a delightful Christmas break from everyday life in paradise! I know it's tough, but keep hanging in there!

Jim

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is the same system we have on our apartment building.There are 3 elevators there and it’s not as busy so it works fine.

The problem at HHV now is they only want two people or one party per elevator. Some people tell others that they are fine riding with more people and say they can get on if they like. Most people are getting in.

The other issue Is when there is a long line on the beach side and another line on the front desk side, there is no order of how to go. Many times When you get an elevator, it has to stop 5 times when there is only one or two party’s in there.

Slip which system do you have in your apartment building. The Lagoon Tower one or the Rainbow Tower one?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rainbow tower one.

Are you saying there are long long to get on the elevators at the Rainbow Tower right now? I never experienced that. Even though we have only stayed there about 3 times I would go over there all the time for ice before the ice machine was installed in the Lagoon Tower and never had lines. It must be due to buttons being pushed for floors but people are not getting on the elevators with other people due to coronavirus social distancing so the elevators are going up as if they are filled with people for the 5 stops that you mentioned but some people didn't get on for some of the floors slowing the entire system down since the same people that didn't get on still need to push the floor buttons again.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are you saying there are long long to get on the elevators at the Rainbow Tower right now? I never experienced that. Even though we have only stayed there about 3 times I would go over there all the time for ice before the ice machine was installed in the Lagoon Tower and never had lines. It must be due to buttons being pushed for floors but people are not getting on the elevators with other people due to coronavirus social distancing so the elevators are going up as if they are filled with people for the 5 stops that you mentioned but some people didn't get on for some of the floors slowing the entire system down since the same people that didn't get on still need to push the floor buttons again.

Yes, long lines at the Rainbow tower at the lobby. Some is because the elevators are stopping at floors because people can’t get on since they are only allowing 2 per elevator. A larger number of the same party can get on obviously.

But when groups come from checkin there is a line on that side. Then there is a line on the beach side, no one knows when to go up and push the buttons.

Lines on the lobby side went into the other room and on the beach side the line was going down to the ramp.

It’s not like that all day but I had seen it like that many times during my stay. The lines did move along but it was slow and there was a lot of confusion.

As an example, when I went down to get dinner. The lines were about 12 different parties on both the beach and the lobby side. When I came back with my food 20 minutes later. I was on the lobby side and I was third in line and there were about the same on then beach side.

Social distancing was some times followed. Many people were telling other groups they could get on their elevator if they didn’t mind being with other people. Most went , saying they all came here with negative tests.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, long lines at the Rainbow tower at the lobby. Some is because the elevators are stopping at floors because people can’t get on since they are only allowing 2 per elevator. A larger number of the same party can get on obviously.

But when groups come from checkin there is a line on that side. Then there is a line on the beach side, no one knows when to go up and push the buttons.

Lines on the lobby side went into the other room and on the beach side the line was going down to the ramp.

It’s not like that all day but I had seen it like that many times during my stay. The lines did move along but it was slow and there was a lot of confusion.

As an example, when I went down to get dinner. The lines were about 12 different parties on both the beach and the lobby side. When I came back with my food 20 minutes later. I was on the lobby side and I was third in line and there were about the same on then beach side.

Social distancing was some times followed. Many people were telling other groups they could get on their elevator if they didn’t mind being with other people. Most went , saying they all came here with negative tests.

That is ridiculous. They need an elevator monitor! But with the elevator control system deciding what elevators will go to which floors without regard to those that are abiding by the coronavirus restrictions and those that are willing to go on the elevators together together I am not sure how that can work. For instance when you mentioned that some people will go on with others on the same elevator what floors are they going to? If they are going to the same floor that would work. But if they need to go to a different floor then that floor needs to be pushed, but if the system could assign that floor to a different elevator.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is ridiculous. They need an elevator monitor! But with the elevator control system deciding what elevators will go to which floors without regard to those that are abiding by the coronavirus restrictions and those that are willing to go on the elevators together together I am not sure how that can work. For instance when you mentioned that some people will go on with others on the same elevator what floors are they going to? If they are going to the same floor that would work. But if they need to go to a different floor then that floor needs to be pushed, but if the system could assign that floor to a different elevator.

What happens is, that 4 groups would hit what floor they have to go to and the elevator would give them all the A elevator. But you can only have one group go up so the elevator stops at each of those floors. But if the one group going on offers others to come on, their floor was already in the system because they had entered their floor already.

I was riding with one person and he said it is a simple fix. All they have to do is only allow one or two floor entries and then the system should select the next elevator. That does make sense but I don’t know if it’s that easy. I think he said he was a programmer.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What happens is, that 4 groups would hit what floor they have to go to and the elevator would give them all the A elevator. But you can only have one group go up so the elevator stops at each of those floors. But if the one group going on offers others to come on, their floor was already in the system because they had entered their floor already.

I was riding with one person and he said it is a simple fix. All they have to do is only allow one or two floor entries and then the system should select the next elevator. That does make sense but I don’t know if it’s that easy. I think he said he was a programmer.

What you mentioned they are currently doing certainly will slow down the elevators since each trip will be making unnecessary stops as I mentioned in my 11:31 post last night.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What you mentioned they are currently doing certainly will slow down the elevators since each trip will be making unnecessary stops as I mentioned in my 11:31 post last night.

It does and the chaos trying to get an elevator doesn’t help either. It was. As but it definitely didn’t change our stay much. We had a great time and we are really glad we took advantage of the opportunity to go. :thumbup:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It does and the chaos trying to get an elevator doesn’t help either. It was. As but it definitely didn’t change our stay much. We had a great time and we are really glad we took advantage of the opportunity to go. :thumbup:

That is the important thing. You enjoyed your mini vacation. When we are in Hawaii we take little things that would upset us at home as nothing since we enjoy being in the warm, sunny, nice weather all year long, with stunning ocean views and beautiful greenary and mountains so much. Danny Couch a Hawaiian Performer that we know and love very much wrote and performs some songs that say how we feel: "I Love Hawaii", "Hawaii My Paradise", and "These Islands". If you ever get to see him he is a treat and the songs tell how we feel.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is the important thing. You enjoyed your mini vacation. When we are in Hawaii we take little things that would upset us at home as nothing since we enjoy being in the warm, sunny, nice weather all year long, with stunning ocean views and beautiful greenary and mountains so much. Danny Couch a Hawaiian Performer that we know and love very much wrote and performs some songs that say how we feel: "I Love Hawaii", "Hawaii My Paradise", and "These Islands". If you ever get to see him he is a treat and the songs tell how we feel.

I know his work but I haven’t seen him yet. I will when I get the chance.

Yes, that’s how the elevator was, an annoyance. But I did get lucky each time I was going up so that helped some too. :D

Last edited:

JerseyDeb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
This is bringing back sweet memories! We spent the first 3 nights of our Hawaiian Honeymoon at the Hilton Rainbow Tower 36 plus years ago! One of our best upgrades ever. When we checked in the clerk asked if we were honeymooners and upgraded us to a corner room with one balcony facing the Pacific and the other balcony facing Diamondhead! I still remember thinking I'd died and gone to heaven!
Enjoy your stay and the memories!!

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know his work but I haven’t seen him yet. I will when I get the chance.

Yes, that’s how the elevator was, an annoyance. But I did get lucky each time I was going up so that naked some too. :D
Slip you need to clean up this last post. It makes it sound like you got lucky each time you were going up sometimes you were NAKED!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Slip you need to clean up this last post. It makes it sound like you got lucky each time you were going up sometimes you were NAKED!

Thanks for that, darn autocorrect. I looked at that and didn’t really remember what word I wanted there. Thanks again.:)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is bringing back sweet memories! We spent the first 3 nights of our Hawaiian Honeymoon at the Hilton Rainbow Tower 36 plus years ago! One of our best upgrades ever. When we checked in the clerk asked if we were honeymooners and upgraded us to a corner room with one balcony facing the Pacific and the other balcony facing Diamondhead! I still remember thinking I'd died and gone to heaven!
Enjoy your stay and the memories!!

We were married in 1984 so we must be close.:thumbup: