• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Could entire timeshare resorts close down due to the corona virus?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Basketball games cancelled. Travel in many businesses cancelled. Stadium events cancelled.

Frankly, anywhere there is a gathering of people of more than 20 appears to be cancelled.

What about timeshare resorts? Some resorts temporarily house 1000s of guest from many parts of the globe. Some might argue that this many people from various locales is a breeding ground for corona virus.

Can you see large timeshare resorts close temporarily? If so, are your weeks or points refunded?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Basketball games cancelled. Travel in many businesses cancelled. Stadium events cancelled.

Frankly, anywhere there is a gathering of people of more than 20 appears to be cancelled.

What about timeshare resorts? Some resorts temporarily house 1000s of guest from many parts of the globe. Some might argue that this many people from various locales is a breeding ground for corona virus.

Can you see large timeshare resorts close temporarily? If so, are your weeks or points refunded?

I can see smaller ones closing, limited staff if some get sick.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I can see smaller ones closing, limited staff if some get sick.

I can see the larger ones too. All it takes is one confirmed case and the health department will be right over to shut the doors.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
This leads me to think. If you do get a confirmed case while timesharing, you only have the place for a week. How do you self isolate for 2 weeks?

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
They are shutting down the Disneyland hotel(s?) on Monday, so I think it is only a matter of time before some timeshares are closed in hot zones.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Wondering the same. I've got 7 weeks left of my timeshare winter... if they close I'm homeless.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I don’t see this happening. Even in Wuhan some stores were open. Resorts will stay open

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Resort hotel here in Kauai has closed... the beach condos on west shore down the pothole road. Military run so likely staff related. Expect most government tourism related entities to close for the same reason, as Canada has just announced. Poor minimum wage no-union no- benefits hotel and resort workers have no choice but to work.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I don’t see it
The units are no different than an apartment complex
We had this week booked at HICV orange lake and changed it due to Disney closing as friends were going with us
The resort said all that might happen is a limited staff and things to do onsite might be closed like restaurants etc

They are having some discounted rates for their units though

We had 2 weeks booked through RCI and changed that as well. We have PointShield so got all the points back and RCI gave credit for their fees
HICV also refunded their booking fee on this week

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great Wolf Lodge in Wisconsin Dells closing for a couple of weeks. They state will give full refunds and pay staff.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great Wolf Lodge in Wisconsin Dells closing for a couple of weeks. They state will give full refunds and pay staff.
Many more will close soon due to vacancies and protecting staff.

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since some of the people have tested positive have done so while on vacation you wonder what the protocol is for treating the hotel room they were occupying? Even though I always bring wipes with me to hotels and timeshares you can't get all germs off surfaces esp couches and fabric chairs.

Quiet Pine

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Saturday morning coffee for my community was canceled yesterday afternoon. Usual attendance 10-12. Got the email 1/2 hour after taking the date-nut bread out of the oven.:cautious:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
We only have eight in one of my bridge groups and that has been cancelled