• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costume help, please

geekette

Reaction score
I need to know what young US ladies were wearing when music's British Invasion happened. Dance party coming up, I don't want to wear a flag dress, that's all I see for costume ideas. I want to be the one Not wearing Blue Red and White.

Help me out - were you wearing go go stuff, hippie stuff, still 50s-style circle skirts, neck and/or hair scarves??? If not you, what were the ladies around you wearing when they went to concerts or dances? the online stuff seems to be sleeveless sheath minis. is that accurate or stereotype for marketing? were colors subdued or vibrant? please tell me that plaid was not popular.

I have about 2 weeks to put something together, and lots of fabrics to choose among. Wasn't sure if I should use the Spandex tie die for sheath dress or disco dress, finish the red satin circle skirt reminescent of the 50s , or wear what I call "Space Suit", neoprene sparkly silver skater dress. I also have black and brown pleather, denim-look lightweight fabric. plenty of old jeans I don't have a problem turning into skirts, just tell me what it looks like, huge variance with mini skirt to maxi skirt!

I like themes, but since I didn't live it, yet know many of the attending coaches and judges did, I want to potentially remind them of what people were wearing back then. In ballroom dance, the presentation matters. I generally like to go for discreetly effective, where the costume isn't The Thing but is not a distraction. Watch my feet instead, please.

I can rig go go boots pretty easily, have done that, make Spandex "sleeves" for the legs and easy shoe cover. But if nobody was wearing go go boots, I do not want to go there. That's how the costume goes too far. I am not great at editing, can get too carried away because it is fun.

I like fringe, too, but if that wasn't around, I should edit that out, too!

Ack, I'm lost. Help me narrow my imagination so I can fit it to supplies on hand!

thank you, boomers!

~ genx that always felt like I was too late to the party, it was packed up and gone away by the time I could drive myself there... replaced by big hair and shoulder pads. who the heck started that crap???

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe this will help. It's a pretty thorough description of women's fashion in the 60's - clothing, hair, jewelry, shoes, makeup, etc. throughout the decade.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Maybe this will help. It's a pretty thorough description of women's fashion in the 60's - clothing, hair, jewelry, shoes, makeup, etc. throughout the decade.

As someone who did live in this era, that's about the most complete description I've seen.

geekette

Reaction score
Whoa, this is great!! Thank you thank you!

I guess my original ideas were kinda on target = it was all over the place!

If I make something from scratch, I'll throw it on Stella and upload a pic. Stella is my dress dummy tho she is very smart.

I might instead be able to rummage from my closet and especially Mom's closet... she had a lot of mustard yellow, pinks with greens.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

That was a real trip down memory lane, thanks!

Quiet Pine

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
"On 9 February 1964, the Beatles made their first live US television appearance. 73 million viewers —about two fifths of the total American population— watched the group perform on The Ed Sullivan Show." That was the start, and I was 22 years old. During the mid-'60s, I remember textured stockings, & mini skirts. Mini skirts got so short during the '60s that if you reached for a high shelf, the top of your stocking & garter belt was revealed--so stockings went out & pantyhose were de rigueur. Makeup was dramatic. Heavy eyeliner, cat eyes, false eyelashes. Nude lipstick.. Check out photos of Twiggy.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
...I might instead be able to rummage from my closet and especially Mom's closet... she had a lot of mustard yellow, pinks with greens.

Sounds like you had a very groovy mom! ;)

geekette

Reaction score
Sounds like you had a very groovy mom! ;)
more packrat than groovy. She made a lot of her own stuff so it's the colors and patterns that are jumping out at me, some of the scrap fabrics I have here (the horrible striped pants for little boys, for example, that she made for my brother) are in timecapsules here as my brother has largely emptied her stash to my house.

There is not quite enough swirly pink, green yellow fabric or that would be my dress for sure. think, so dizzy you might puke color combo swirl but it's actually paisley if you get close enough. She made a housecoat out of it. I remember, because I inherited it and got rid of it decades ago. Never knew I might have a use for it...

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you do a search for British Invasion fans images you will see a lot of women in school girl type outfits (but not overly short) The jumpsuit skirt rompers, Kilts with peter pan blouses etc.

geekette

Reaction score
If you do a search for British Invasion fans images you will see a lot of women in school girl type outfits (but not overly short) The jumpsuit skirt rompers, Kilts with peter pan blouses etc.
yeah, my mistake was using the word costume as that brings up things more like ... lingerie!

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I consider British Invasion 1964 and I don’t thinks skirts were that mini yet. More like short sheath dresses. Mini dresses got really short late sixties. I can tell you as a teacher in late sixties we wore short dresses but principal told us we would be fired if we came to school in a pants suit. I was a college student in 1964, and I couldn’t afford many clothes, but we wore sweaters and skirts, fitted waists, party dresses had big skirts. I believe hippies were late sixties too. Hair was still big and lots of eye liner. Some of the girls in high school wore head scarves or babaushkas and they were up at the tip of their chins. 2FA30064-3845-44F9-8A87-4DA9E892DBD5.jpeg

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great photo, Rapmarks! Does anyone else dare share their 60's self in all their glory? Or are all the Kodak Brownie photos buried in boxes in the basement?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Yeah, baby...
-
73162e4dcac1bd2eab6ff353dfd3fad7.jpg

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
My two older sisters went to a Beatles concert in Portland, Oregon in 1965. They were 13 and 16. Sadly I was declared too young to attend. I remember enviously watching them getting ready to go, they were in the bathroom in front of the mirror for a long time! They both wore dresses, as did most of the other female concert goers I would guess. A concert was still an occasion to get dressed up for. No hippie or psychedelic looks yet, too early. No bare legs with dresses, always stockings, colored or flesh toned with a dress. Hair was more relaxed than in the early part of the sixties, not heavily teased, not wash and wear, but not stick straight either. I think both my sisters sported chin length "flips", and slept in big rollers to achieve this look. I seem to recall a dress something like this one below on one of them.

1581904791895.png
1581904877097.png

Last edited: