• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco took away my favorite cut of steak: a carnivore's lament

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems unhealthy and costco is right to do away with them.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My friend told me he followed this video. Sounds delicious. I might give it a try.
I just watched this and my issue with this video is that he adds oil and butter to an already very fatty/oily cut of meat. We also avoid oil splatter and hence we love our air fryer.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In Maui and bought Korean BBQ Marinated Beef at the Costco there. Never saw it stateside but it was outstanding.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's the way to do it. Just know if you return fresh meat like we're discussing, it'll go in the trash. Even if it's wrapped, secure and safe, they have to throw it away. Next time you're in the refund line the day after a holiday, look at the people returned huge, expensive cuts of meat, or whole hams or whatever. They'll get their refund, but the meat goes in the garbage.

Dave

Yes, I should clarify that I was talking about non-grocery items.

Although I confess that actually have returned bread before. It was a delicious organic bread with grains/seeds, and was awesome the first 6 months that we purchased it. Then we had a string of 3 purchases when the middle was a chewy, undercooked consistency. I’m still sad about it because we really liked it for sandwich bread.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
If you like beef rare to medium, you won't like these. They need to be cooked to at least medium well for fats to drain off, leaving tender flavorful beef. We bought 3 trays of these on Monday, cooked one tray on Tuesday and used the leftover to make potato hash for dinner last evening. The other 2 trays went into our freezer.

Rib eye is our favorite choice of steak and yes, we do like them medium rare. If these have to be cooked longer, then they would be a costly and disappointing mistake for many people. It’s really hard to believe that they were indeed prime.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rib eye is our favorite choice of steak and yes, we do like them medium rare. If these have to be cooked longer, then they would be a costly and disappointing mistake for many people. It’s really hard to believe that they were indeed prime.
Our friend who likes steaks medium rare or rare now cooks these to medium well because the few times he did it to medium rare or rare, he couldn't eat it because the uncooked fats stared at him.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Yes, I should clarify that I was talking about non-grocery items.

Although I confess that actually have returned bread before. It was a delicious organic bread with grains/seeds, and was awesome the first 6 months that we purchased it. Then we had a string of 3 purchases when the middle was a chewy, undercooked consistency. I’m still sad about it because we really liked it for sandwich bread.

If it's not up to your liking, or in the case of the bread, apparently not cooked correctly, then certainly, return it. And make sure you tell the clerk why you're returning the item, so they can note on the item in the computer why it was unacceptable. Costco needs to know they're selling undercooked bread or whatever.

I was talking about perfectly good meat items that were "over purchased." I hear all the time about people who make their refund, then are surprised when the Refund Clerk takes the meat item and drops it in the trash can. "What?? If I knew you were going to throw it away, I wouldn't have returned it!" And the Clerk says, "What do you expect me to do with it? Put it back out for sale? Where has it been? How has it been stored? Did it sit in your hot car for three days before you got in here? Would YOU want to buy that item, without knowing how it's been handled? Sorry, everything fresh goes in the trash."

Dave :)

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our friend who likes steaks medium rare or rare now cooks these to medium well because the few times he did it to medium rare or rare, he couldn't eat it because the uncooked fats stared at him.

We couldn’t eat it because there was so much gristle. I don’t recall uncooked fat staring at us. I still have two in the freezer and will give them another try.

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of my favorites from Costco is the pork tenderloins. It's a lot like eating filet mignon, but you only pay $3 per pound.

A package has four pieces. I take them home and season them with salt, pepper, and garlic. Then I vacuum pack them and freeze. They can go straight from the freezer into the sous vide water bath, and they'll be ready to sear in two to four hours.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A follow up. Yesterday, I took out one of the two remaining Costco rib-eye caps from the freezer. This was from the same tray we used for the very disappointing dinner discussed above. The day before, I read an old Cook's Illustrated Magazine on how to cook flank steak. In the article, the author wrote of the magazine's tried and true method for cooking thick steaks like rib-eye. The article adjusted the recipe for flank steak. I decided to give mine another chance and followed the "tried and true" for thick steaks. I seasoned the rib-eye cap with salt, pepper and sugar, placed it on a rack on a baking sheet and baked it in the oven at 275 degrees until it was 125/130 degrees in the center. It took about an hour. They suggest 120 degrees internal temperature, but I had a little trouble getting a consistent read on the meat thermometer. When it was almost there, I pre-heated a cast iron pan on the stove until it was starting to smoke, removed the steak from the oven and browned it the frying pan flipping it every minute, for four to five minutes (I browned the sides too as it was very thick). I let it rest for ten minutes before dividing it for the two of us. Vacation Forever's advice above was spot on about this steak needing to be cooked to a medium to medium-well temperature. We prefer medium rare normally but this one was absolutely delicious! A fine steak restaurant couldn't couldn't have served a better steak! :)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A follow up. Yesterday, I took out one of the two remaining Costco rib-eye caps from the freezer. This was from the same tray we used for the very disappointing dinner discussed above. The day before, I read an old Cook's Illustrated Magazine on how to cook flank steak. In the article, the author wrote of the magazine's tried and true method for cooking thick steaks like rib-eye. The article adjusted the recipe for flank steak. I decided to give mine another chance and followed the "tried and true" for thick steaks. I seasoned the rib-eye cap with salt, pepper and sugar, placed it on a rack on a baking sheet and baked it in the oven at 275 degrees until it was 125/130 degrees in the center. It took about an hour. They suggest 120 degrees internal temperature, but I had a little trouble getting a consistent read on the meat thermometer. When it was almost there, I pre-heated a cast iron pan on the stove until it was starting to smoke, removed the steak from the oven and browned it the frying pan flipping it every minute, for four to five minutes (I browned the sides too as it was very thick). I let it rest for ten minutes before dividing it for the two of us. Vacation Forever's advice above was spot on about this steak needing to be cooked to a medium to medium-well temperature. We prefer medium rare normally but this one was absolutely delicious! A fine steak restaurant couldn't couldn't have served a better steak! :)
I am glad you tried it again. We are having some tomorrow evening, cook in an air fryer. :)

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
An 'air fryer'----do steaks really come out NICE in those?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
An 'air fryer'----do steaks really come out NICE in those?
The best! Nicely seared and crunchy, if you want, on the outside, juicy on the inside. Air fryer makes the best steaks and we know quite alot about cooking steaks. The oil drips down to the bottom, leaving juicy and tender meat.

We also use it to cook pork belly for the nice crunch. We also love how our unbreaded chicken wings are nice and crispy and guilt-free.

Air fryers are essentially convection ovens on steriod.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
That was apparently one of Cooks Illustrated old methods for cooking ribeye. I watched an America's Test Kitchen episode from one of their recent seasons and it seems they now recommend to cook the ribeye in a scorching hot cast iron skillet (preheated in a 500 degree oven for 30 minutes) and placed on a hot cook top. Cook the steak for two minutes on each side for 9 minutes total. It turns out great!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That was apparently one of Cooks Illustrated old methods for cooking ribeye. I watched an America's Test Kitchen episode from one of their recent seasons and it seems they now recommend to cook the ribeye in a scorching hot cast iron skillet (preheated in a 500 degree oven for 30 minutes) and placed on a hot cook top. Cook the steak for two minutes on each side for 9 minutes total. It turns out great!

The magazine was four years old. Our ribeye-cap steak could not have been better. I think I'll skip the mess from nine minutes of sizzling and spattering on my cooktop and opt for the oven method and perhaps finishing it on a hot grill outside next time. I hate trying to clean the heavy iron grates on my gas stovetop.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The magazine was four years old. Our ribeye-cap steak could not have been better. I think I'll skip the mess from nine minutes of sizzling and spattering on my cooktop and opt for the oven method and perhaps finishing it on a hot grill outside next time. I hate trying to clean the heavy iron grates on my gas stovetop.
I agree, the cast iron method does make a mess of the stovetop.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can always sear it in the oven first before dropping the temperature to get the inside cooked.

Could try that. It would keep the mess to my oven. I have one more remaining from the original packages. Has anyone definitively determined if Costco really is going to discontinue the rib-eye caps?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Could try that. It would keep the mess to my oven. I have one more remaining from the original packages. Has anyone definitively determined if Costco really is going to discontinue the rib-eye caps?
We went to Costco last week and again today and found none. We asked the meat department today and were told that decision to stop carrying ribeye caps were made at the corporate level. No more ribeye caps at all Costco warehouses. It was great while it lasted. We still have 5 trays in the freezer. Our local butcher shop carries them and they don't look fresh and at 3 times the price of Costco's.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
It must be a regional decision not a "corporate decision", because I was at my local Costco tonight to buy a prime tomahawk steak (as a result of another TUG Lounge thread), and there were half a dozen packages of 3 (or 4, I do not exactly remember) tied and true prime beef "cap steaks" priced at $20.99/lb. Beautifully marbled.

Pricey as it may be, I have always considered Costco prime beef to be a bargain. The rib caps are sooo beautifully marbled, I took a package home one night. Just my opinion, but the steaks were something of a disappointment and even more so considering the premium price. They were certainly "beefy" and tasty, but I thought they were a bit tough for prime beef. The eye of the rib is soooo much more tender, and that is why I will stick with the tomahawk steaks (with the cap trimmed off) at $13.99/lb.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I bought a package of the prime rib-eye caps at the Mount Pleasant Costco yesterday (10/18/19). I was shocked to find it there. There was no sign for it and only one package. There were four nice sized caps and they were $19.99 lb.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
I bought a package of the prime rib-eye caps at the Mount Pleasant Costco yesterday (10/18/19). I was shocked to find it there. There was no sign for it and only one package. There were four nice sized caps and they were $19.99 lb.

I knew that Mt. Pleasant Costco was phenomenal! Great find. Now the big question....will you dry age them first? LOL