• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco or no?

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
November 2021 I found a Sam’s Club membership promo that included a $45 Sam’s gift card so essentially free. Although our loyalty is with Costco we use Sam’s for items that Costco doesn’t carry. One thing I love about Sam’s, and hope that Costco adopts, is the scan & go checkout.
We do have scan and go at our local Costco! But I always need a real person to give me my wine discount! That feature was available at theColchester VT Coat o (auto INcorrect) as well.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I suppose you can say that about any "local" economy
Buy Virginia peanuts!
We have the best crabs!
(and soybeans)

We should say that about any local economy.

I go to New Mexico for the chili. I go to California for seafood, garlic, artichokes and grape juice. I go to Colorado for corn and peaches. I go to New England for clams and lobster. I go to Washington for crab and salmon.

And I make sure to time it so that I'm there in season. But not for the chili festival/harvest festival/garlic festival/whatever festival. I just want my local delicacies, minus the crowds.

Costco, for all its advantages, is wholly unable to provide local delicacies -- they aren't set up for that kind of business. And that's fine. Because there isn't enough Olathe corn and Hatch chili to go around. The traveler who shops at Costco exclusively is missing out on what I consider one of the top reasons to travel, if not the top reason. I don't want a case of Costco corn dogs when there's a fried clam shack to be had in early Autumn, between summer and the fall colors. Best of all worlds that way -- fried clams, all the children are in school, no leaf-peepers from New York, brisk weather, and a cold craft beer. Best of all, I've already made arrangements for a sugarhouse to sell me the last of their previous year's grade B syrup. And if I'm lucky, the cider is coming in.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I go to New Mexico for the chili. I go to California for seafood, garlic, artichokes and grape juice. I go to Colorado for corn and peaches. I go to New England for clams and lobster. I go to Washington for crab and salmon.
You're lucky to have the availability to do that. Many people don't.

mchct

TUG Member
Reaction score
We do have scan and go at our local Costco! But I always need a real person to give me my wine discount! That feature was available at theColchester VT Coat o (auto INcorrect) as well.
Costco and Sam's Club's "Scan & Go" are a little different. We do like the Sam's Club one better because it is on your phone app. You actually scan the product bar code and can add (or delete if you were just checking for the price) it to your cart and continue with other items you add to your cart. When you're ready to check out you don't need to go to a check out line and can choose the payment on the phone app and it gives you a QR code that you show to the exit greeters/receipt checkers at the door. They'll scan your QR code and some items in your cart and wave you on your way out. Receipt is in your account if you need to look it up.

For gas, the Sam's app also works for their gas pumps, so it can be a little quicker than pulling out your membership card and then credit card. Some of the Costco's in this area also can use a fob or dongle that Costco had issued a couple of years ago at certain locations and those are nice because you can just wave the fob in front of the gas station machine and then choose the fuel type. But we found out that not all Costco gas stations are set up to use their gas staion fob.

The Sam's check out app is really great if you only need a couple of things on a super busy Saturday or Sunday, you can get in and out quickly without waiting in a long check out line. But of course the app doesn't work if you try to buy liquor, just like Costco's self scan lines. And Sam's also has "curbside pickup" for those that really don't want to go inside but I think they're going to start charging $5 for regular members and continuing free for their Plus members.

So we like both Costco and Sam's Club!

ScoopKona

Reaction score
You're lucky to have the availability to do that. Many people don't.

When people DO go, they can try to score some of the local "good stuff." If they come to Hawaii, something is ALWAYS in season. Right now it's mangoes. Coffee harvest is happening as we speak. Later on, it will be cacao. Papaya is always available. Guava most of the summer.

True, the skiier is going to miss out on all that great Colorado produce. But I have little patience for people who won't even google what an area is known for, and when it's usually available. Oregon in July? Boysenberry time! Clam time!

It's hard for me to think of an area which isn't known for something. And even if it isn't something that is caught, raised or grown, there's always the local specialty dish. Shuffling off to Buffalo? Beef on weck! Los Angeles? French Dip, Pioneer Chicken, or the best ramen soup outside of Japan -- take your pick.

There's always something. And although the big box stores do what they do very well, they aren't capable of procuring the quantity needed to sell Palisades peaches nationwide.

mchct

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also had posted before about Costco in Japan and my friend sent me this current video on Costco Japan. I really want to try that Hokkaido melon smoothie! The other "sofuto cream" (soft cream" ice cream flavors like matcha, peach, etc. have always been very good! There's a link for the you tube video of the stuff they sell in Japan if you get a chance to go there. https://lovejapanforlife.com/blogs/...elievable?mc_cid=c869e21b4a&mc_eid=39a98fc9a6

mchct

TUG Member
Reaction score
When people DO go, they can try to score some of the local "good stuff." If they come to Hawaii, something is ALWAYS in season. Right now it's mangoes. Coffee harvest is happening as we speak. Later on, it will be cacao. Papaya is always available. Guava most of the summer.

True, the skiier is going to miss out on all that great Colorado produce. But I have little patience for people who won't even google what an area is known for, and when it's usually available. Oregon in July? Boysenberry time! Clam time!

It's hard for me to think of an area which isn't known for something. And even if it isn't something that is caught, raised or grown, there's always the local specialty dish. Shuffling off to Buffalo? Beef on weck! Los Angeles? French Dip, Pioneer Chicken, or the best ramen soup outside of Japan -- take your pick.

There's always something. And although the big box stores do what they do very well, they aren't capable of procuring the quantity needed to sell Palisades peaches nationwide.
When we're in Oahu, our friend's mom would give us some ripe avocados from their tree that we'd enjoy at our timeshare. Also their neighbor has a mango tree and she'd give us mangos too, when they were in season. Yes, the best produce is local if you can get it!

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
We should say that about any local economy.

And I make sure to time it so that I'm there in season. But not for the chili festival/harvest festival/garlic festival/whatever festival. I just want my local delicacies, minus the crowds.

Costco, for all its advantages, is wholly unable to provide local delicacies -- they aren't set up for that kind of business. And that's fine. Because there isn't enough Olathe corn and Hatch chili to go around. The traveler who shops at Costco exclusively is missing out on what I consider one of the top reasons to travel, if not the top reason. I don't want a case of Costco corn dogs when there's a fried clam shack to be had in early Autumn, between summer and the fall colors. Best of all worlds that way -- fried clams, all the children are in school, no leaf-peepers from New York, brisk weather, and a cold craft beer. Best of all, I've already made arrangements for a sugarhouse to sell me the last of their previous year's grade B syrup. And if I'm lucky, the cider is coming in.
You shouldn’t think you can tell everyone else what they should do. Different strokes for different folks, remember?

ScoopKona

Reaction score
You shouldn’t think you can tell everyone else what they should do. Different strokes for different folks, remember?

That's fine. All this stuff already costs too much thanks to low supply and high demand. The tourists who visit South Florida during stone crab season and then buy Gorton's Microwaveable Fish Sticks are only depriving themselves.

I think that's the epitome of "measured out my life with coffee spoons."

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I don't really use Costco much these days. When I did use it, it was great for car rental discounts, fresh flowers, some foods, and medicine.
I honestly just find it to be too much hassle now. I can't stand the big crowds, loud noises, parking challenges, long waits, etc. But they have some items I still like so every now and then I ask a friend with a membership to pick something up for me.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Yes, I’m in Florida so they should. Thanks.

You'll find Costco's liquor selection to be excellent, and their pricing will be better than your local supermarket or liquor store. Add in that 2% cash back from the Executive membership, and an additional 2% rebate if you pay for it with the Citi Costco Visa card, and you just saved an additional 4%. Those savings add up quickly.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The Costco near us is changing to the Business center format late this year because a new store is opening about 20 miles away. I will no longer shop weekly and will likely have to find alternatives for many of our purchases and buy more things online.

Don't discount the Business Center until you review what it actually sells. You may find certain items there that you can't get in the local warehouses. Yes, there are "business" items for sale, but the canned goods, beverages, liquor, refrigerated and freezer sections offer some excellent things.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We may be the only ones that do not like the pizza, prefer Round Table with extra sauce, Costco pizza tastes too bland.

Nope. We are not fans of Costco pizza either. Some folks love the cheap price, but we're not among them. Given our druthers, Papa Murphy's take-and-bake is our go-to.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Plus, when we spent 2 weeks on the Big Island, I was shocked that the local Costco seemed to have prices no different (or not much higher) than Phoenix (yay!) given that everything else was substantially more expensive. The savings on the stuff we picked up there for several meals in our unit (and breakfast every day) liquor and gas for the rental car easily paid for our annual membership fee!

Costco tries to keep prices the same, even in Hawaii. I'm sure some things will be different, but many things would be the same price as they are back on the Mainland.

Dave

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't discount the Business Center until you review what it actually sells. You may find certain items there that you can't get in the local warehouses. Yes, there are "business" items for sale, but the canned goods, beverages, liquor, refrigerated and freezer sections offer some excellent things.

Dave
I assume they won't carry a lot of items I purchase weekly, including bananas and milk, and probably won't sell the Kirkland coffee in 2.5lb bags.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
We may be the only ones that do not like the pizza, prefer Round Table with extra sauce, Costco pizza tastes too bland.

Curious about your take on the pizza. I do not like the take and bake pizza, but :love: the snack counter pizza. (Even though I mop up a ton of grease off the top before I eat it. ;))

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Curious about your take on the pizza. I do not like the take and bake pizza, but :love: the snack counter pizza. (Even though I mop up a ton of grease off the top before I eat it. ;))
You may have answered your own question with the grease comment. RT has just been the most consistent buy for us over the years, that fennel and oregano combo.

(RT-SAUCE Has to have a sweet, tomato-ey start, then a hint of
fennel, and finally a peppery finish.)

1 6-ounce can tomato paste (plus 1/2 can of water)
1 teaspoon fennel seed (ground to a powder)
1 teaspoon dried oregano (McCormick mediterranean)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon sea-salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (ground to a powder)
1/2 teaspoon paprika

Sent from my Lenovo 10e using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I assume they won't carry a lot of items I purchase weekly, including bananas and milk, and probably won't sell the Kirkland coffee in 2.5lb bags.

You'd have to check. A lot of items are the same as the warehouses. Some are things the warehouses don't have room for. And some are things you'll wonder why they aren't being sold at your local warehouse.

Dave

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Our last major appliance was a LG washer and dryer set from Costco. The big difference was the warranty and set up compared to other stores. By using our Costco Citi Card we received 9 years of warranty. When I asked what happens if they can't fix the machine 8 years down the road I was told they replace it. They delivered and set up the machines as well.

I'm a fan of Costco Atlantic salmon. I know it's farm raised but it is so tasty. Michelin tires, gas, patio furniture are another thing we buy at Costco. Rex's Kirkland old dog dog food is delivered to our door by Costco.

Bill

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing I've learned about Costco, and that explains a bit about what they carry and what they don't....the average/typical Costco shopper is an Asian woman in her 50s with a household income of over $100,000 a year. I love the fact that this seems to mean I can now buy paneer and roti at Costco. :D

We actually purchased our chest freezer in our third CSA season, because we just needed to prep and freeze fruit and veggies (in the form of soup, or ice cream, or just by themselves.) Having extra room for Costco stuff is just a bonus.

@ScoopKona, as much as Costco is near and dear to my heart, and I love shopping at #otherpeoplesCostco, I will *always* support a local farmer's market first (if the items are at all within my budget.) And I get almost all of my fruit, veggies, eggs, and sausage from my weekly CSA. I loved finding local farmer's markets in both Kona and on Maui on our last Hawaiian vacataion.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
@ScoopKona, as much as Costco is near and dear to my heart, and I love shopping at #otherpeoplesCostco, I will *always* support a local farmer's market first (if the items are at all within my budget.) And I get almost all of my fruit, veggies, eggs, and sausage from my weekly CSA. I loved finding local farmer's markets in both Kona and on Maui on our last Hawaiian vacataion.

Indeed. This is a clear example of "a rising tide lifts all boats."

Even if someone buys avocados, mac nut pesto, scratch home grown marinara or a bag of coffee from someone else, that purchase helps every farmer and everyone employed by those farmers.

And this applies everywhere -- sure, get the bulk pantry items at Costco and save some money (I'm all for saving money). But go seek out the local delicacies because: 1) It's fun; 2) People who do this live longer; and 3) A rising tide lifts all boats.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Indeed. This is a clear example of "a rising tide lifts all boats."

Even if someone buys avocados, mac nut pesto, scratch home grown marinara or a bag of coffee from someone else, that purchase helps every farmer and everyone employed by those farmers.

And this applies everywhere -- sure, get the bulk pantry items at Costco and save some money (I'm all for saving money). But go seek out the local delicacies because: 1) It's fun; 2) People who do this live longer; and 3) A rising tide lifts all boats.

Because small farms aren't as regulated as large farms and small farmers aren't really regulated at all, a person almost has to know the farmer to be sure the seller didn't just go to Costco or some other grocery store to buy and repackage. An unscrupulous farmers market vendor could easily package a cut with other than noted product and no one usually knows. Coffee is one of those products where it could be a 50/50 mix and sold as 100%.

The other problem with small produce farmers is the consistency of their product. Where we live there are produce stands all around. A large farm can produce consistent look and taste while small farms not so much. I trust stores like Costco more than I do the farmers markets. We have these markets all around our area along with many seasonal produce stands. Many of the produce stands sell a cull product for the same as a #1 product at the grocery store. To me, the quality is just better at bigger stores because of the standards placed on products.

I do like our local farmers markets but usually only for peppered jellies, pickled asparagus, Thai food and music.

Bill

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Many of the produce stands sell a cull product for the same as a #1 product at the grocery store.

Bill

When we first moved here to Mesquite, we were told about this great guy who sells produce out of the back of his truck. "He has things you can't find in the stores," they said. I went by there, and saw he was selling "Ripe Mangoes 3/$5.00." I thought that was expensive, but I wanted to support him. So I sprang for the $5 and got three mangoes.

I'm not quite sure how he did it, but the three mangoes that were in the bag when I got home were absolutely as hard as rocks. Impossible to cut, completely unripe, and proved to be completely useless to us. I did everything I'd ever heard to try and ripen them up, and a week later they were still hard as rocks. I threw them in the trash.

I went back the next weekend and told him about what he'd sold me. He shrugged, and said, "Oh well. That's how it goes." Say what?

It's hard to try and support a roadside vendor when it's obvious he's not treating customers fairly. I haven't been back to buy from the guy since.

Dave

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a huge farmers market called Denios in N. California. We went there once to check it out. There were 30 odd stores that were selling identical produce and very apparent that they were from the same source. Once and done.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When we first moved here to Mesquite, we were told about this great guy who sells produce out of the back of his truck. "He has things you can't find in the stores," they said. I went by there, and saw he was selling "Ripe Mangoes 3/$5.00." I thought that was expensive, but I wanted to support him. So I sprang for the $5 and got three mangoes.

I'm not quite sure how he did it, but the three mangoes that were in the bag when I got home were absolutely as hard as rocks. Impossible to cut, completely unripe, and proved to be completely useless to us. I did everything I'd ever heard to try and ripen them up, and a week later they were still hard as rocks. I threw them in the trash.

I went back the next weekend and told him about what he'd sold me. He shrugged, and said, "Oh well. That's how it goes." Say what?

It's hard to try and support a roadside vendor when it's obvious he's not treating customers fairly. I haven't been back to buy from the guy since.

Dave

Im never first in line at food trucks either, lol.

Bill