• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco offering $500 Alaska Air e-Certificates for $449

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Reaction score
I look at things like this just like sales (car, clothing, etc). For instance, a brand new car. The dealer/automaker has a bare minimum price you will never see, which is what the dealer pays the automaker to put that car/truck/SUV on the lot. Sometimes that is paid for by a dealer loan. Then, they put a sticker on it with the MSRP. That gives the dealer some profit. Like right now, dealers need to get rid of their stock, so they bring down the price by thousands. They still make money, just not as much. That is also why dealers have begun using "no-haggle price", it is not to prevent headaches, it is to lock in their profit!

In terms of hotels, being that my father-in-law worked at hotels in the Boston area for years, we know there is an absolute minimum. Usually, they charge that amount to employees. When my wife and I were married north of Boston in 2009, our "first night" was at the Hampton Inn @ Worchester MA. Since her dad worked there (he was a night auditor), instead of the usual $150+ per night, we got it for $30. If a Hampton Inn has a "break even" cost of $30/night with 50 rooms, they must make $1500/night average (an example). At $150/room, if they average 10 rooms occupied for a month, they're doing OK.

Since airlines make HUGE profits with baggage fees, they can afford to drop the prices for certain groups like COSTCO, as well as paying travel websites to advertise better prices.

TS

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I would consider this because I would get that percentage back from the Costco Visa. I am going to think about this. Wish maintenance fees were not due right now.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Thx for heads up. I got a couple of certs too, to use with my companion passes, for future Hawaii and Mexico. And with using Costco CC, I'll get back about $20.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Thx for heads up. I got a couple of certs too, to use with my companion passes, for future Hawaii and Mexico. And with using Costco CC, I'll get back about $20.
I just checked to see if our executive membership would get back the additional 2%, 4% total for rebate. It's unclear to me whether these certificates would give back that extra 2%. I read the rules and maybe my reading comprehension skills are lacking today.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked to see if our executive membership would get back the additional 2%, 4% total for rebate. It's unclear to me whether these certificates would give back that extra 2%. I read the rules and maybe my reading comprehension skills are lacking today.
There is nothing that outright excludes it in the terms. The travel section does not appear to apply. Though there is a catch all that Costco can deem something not eligible for the 2% executive award at any time... so my reading is likely qualifies but YMMV.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I picked one up as well. I believe I missed earlier threads.