• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco - I'm blaming TUG

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Don't want to pay for delivery. :(

Sometimes the online price includes that, for the same price as in the Warehouse. Can't hurt to check, right? ;)

Or you could ask a neighbor to pick one up for you. I'm sure you're not the only one in your neighborhood who shops at Costco.

Dave

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the online price includes that, for the same price as in the Warehouse. Can't hurt to check, right? ;)

Or you could ask a neighbor to pick one up for you. I'm sure you're not the only one in your neighborhood who shops at Costco.

Dave
My husband is home as I am traveling to see my son. He does not like to do anything without me. As he calls it, he is my ward. :D

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
What do people pay for the 1.75l of kirkland vodka. I paid $11 yesterday which included the 10% alcohol tax. Smirnoff is about $18 or $19 all in at the same place. I drink neither so have no idea which one is better but the price seemed right. Cheaper then I had seen it before.

It’s been awhile since I bought it. I think the Kirkland is better than the Smirnoff, but the Smirnoff vanilla is really good. Can’t get that at Costco, though.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Dave
I checked it online and yes, it includes shipping and delivery! Hopefully the offer is extended to Costco.com comes March 13. The manufacturer's site says assembled product is 143 lbs so we are definitely going to order online instead of trying to haul the thing on our own.

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....
I have finally taken the time to read all the statements, stories on Costco shopping.... we have always shopped at Sams Club... the nearest one is 35 miles away.... there is a Costco probably about the same distance....we go probably 4 times a year... not real Alcohol drinkers... honestly it sounds like Costco is the go to place to shop... and I know its preference... but IS Costco a better shopping experience.... Dave

zinger1457

Reaction score
... but IS Costco a better shopping experience.... Dave

Not sure if it's any better than Sam's Club but in my experience although Costco offers some good buys the actual shopping experience is not good. Always crowded, many rude and inconsiderate customers, blocking lanes as if they are the only customers in the store. I like the deals but don't really enjoy shopping there.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I have finally taken the time to read all the statements, stories on Costco shopping.... we have always shopped at Sams Club... the nearest one is 35 miles away.... there is a Costco probably about the same distance....we go probably 4 times a year... not real Alcohol drinkers... honestly it sounds like Costco is the go to place to shop... and I know its preference... but IS Costco a better shopping experience.... Dave

The decision of whether to shop at one place or the other is a personal choice. I am a Costco fan (no surprise) because of my long history of being involved with the company. I like how Costco treats its Members, their Employees, and the overall quality experience of shopping there. I have been into Sam's Club a number of times over the years, and at one point I actually had a membership (Shocker, I know. We were traveling for a year in an RV, and the locations we traveled didn't offer a Costco at the time.). Overall, I felt the merchandise quality wasn't up to the same standard as Costco. When that membership expired I didn't renew it. Sam's membership offers a few perks nowadays that Costco doesn't, and vice versa. So it bears exploring.

The best way to know if it's worth it to YOU is to try it. It'll cost you $60 to find out. You have zero to lose - membership fees are FULLY REFUNDABLE at any point during the membership year, if you don't feel it's worth it to you. So you'd have time to try it out, experience the good things you've been reading about, and compare it to your Sam's experience. Compare merchandise quality between the two. Your membership also lets you shop on Costco.com, where you can find great deals on travel and rental cars, too, in addition to a lot of items that are not available in the local warehouse. If you think it's not enough to keep it, then just cancel the membership and get your $60 back, or let it expire. There is also nothing that says you can't have a membership at both places. It all comes down to how you shop, and what is important to you.

Dave

P.S. In reply to Zinger's comment above - go to the Mall on a Saturday afternoon and you'll have the same experience. The same people are shopping there. The best times to shop at Costco are at the dinner hour or later, or any weekday afternoon around 3, and those crowds are way down. Weekend days are the worst time to go. Just like with rush hour traffic, you have to decide how bad you want to deal with it. :)

Last edited:

zinger1457

Reaction score
The best times to shop at Costco are at the dinner hour or later, or any weekday afternoon around 3, and those crowds are way down. Weekend days are the worst time to go. Just like with rush hour traffic, you have to decide how bad you want to deal with it. :)

Not at the Costco's I've shopped at in AZ, about the only time of the day where the crowds start to die down are during the last hour of the shopping day.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Not at the Costco's I've shopped at in AZ, about the only time of the day where the crowds start to die down are during the last hour of the shopping day.

I’d be curious to know if the crowds at Sam’s there are any better, or less rude, if trying to get to the same merchandise. (Does Sam’s even do free food samples?) The closest in my experience is the grocery aisles at WalMart. In my town, the shoppers there are the worst I’ve ever seen anywhere. I don’t shop there unless I absolutely have to. YMMV, of course.

Dave

zinger1457

Reaction score
I’d be curious to know if the crowds at Sam’s there are any better, or less rude, if trying to get to the same merchandise. (Does Sam’s even do free food samples?) The closest in my experience is the grocery aisles at WalMart. In my town, the shoppers there are the worst I’ve ever seen anywhere. I don’t shop there unless I absolutely have to. YMMV, of course.

Haven't been inside a Sam's in years so not sure how the crowds are but since they have closed a lot of their stores I'm guessing not so crowded. The food samples at Costco are a big part of the problem IMO, they cause an aisle block where ever they are set up.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Haven't been inside a Sam's in years so not sure how the crowds are but since they have closed a lot of their stores I'm guessing not so crowded. The food samples at Costco are a big part of the problem IMO, they cause an aisle block where ever they are set up.

I agree. It happens at my local Costco too. I tend to avoid that part of the store unless I need something specific. But to be honest, the same thing happens at my Safeway. I think people are just unaware. :)

Dave

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....
wow ok thanks for the feedback and Sams does offer samples.... but we tend to usually steer away from them.... Dave

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We shop both. Sam's is 5 miles from us and with their card, we get 5% Cash Back for gas, so that is our gas station. Since we are basically there, we will run in and pick up something we need. Many items are the same but some brands are different. We like certain items better at each and so go to each at least once a month to stock up. Tuesday mornings are the best time to shop at the Costco that is 10 miles from us. Any morning is great at Sam's because we have the Plus Membership and can go between 8-10 AM. I have the store almost to myself. :) 10:00 is opening time for regular members. Sam's has the Scan & Go feature that I like.Sam's does do tastings. I seldom try anything at either Sam's or Costco.

We have been Sam's members since 1989, but when we moved to AZ, there was a Costco 10 miles away and we thought we would try it. We like it, but it is not on the regular path that we use. We have to make a point to go there. Hubby loves the Kirkland Strawberry spread and the pre-cooked bacon, so when we are low on either of these, we make a Costco trip. I like many of their clothing brands too. Their Optical department is nice and the glasses are reasonably priced.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
We were Sam's Club members for years until about a year after we moved to Florida and found we liked the BJ's here better. For years we had heard people we knew say that they preferred Costco but for some reason we never tried Costco. Our BJ's membership was going to run out in January and in November I found a special offer online for a Costco membership so we decided why not give it a try. We have joined the cult!

That my husband has become an avid Costco shopper is nothing short of hysterically funny to me. This is the man who once wanted to know why he had to go with me to buy shoes for him. He once had to call me from the office to ask what size clothes he wore when they were ordering everyone safety outfits for a special job.

Him willingly dealing with the Costco parking lot on a regular basis is nothing short of a marvel to me. According to my husband parking spots close up magically appear for me wherever we go. He on the other hand just accepts his fate and will take the first spot he sees no matter how far away it is. Even my magical ability to find a parking space doesn't work all that often at our Costco. The way I would describe our Costco's parking lot is by using one of my husband's favorite lines. That it is enough to make the Pope swear right after mass on Easter Sunday. He drops me at the door and parks the car. Normally when he does that at other places he would still be grumbling about the parking lot when he joined me. At our Costco it's more like he "once again emerged victorious from the fray."

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
We don’t have a Costco close to us so every time we go to “town” we stop at one and pick up two loafs of their Cranberry Walnut bread and two rotisserie chickens. We cut the loafs in half and freeze them. Use them for either regular toast or French toast. We pluck the chickens and put small portions in plastic bags and freeze. We then use it for tacos when the mood strikes.

I'm going to have to look for this, never seen it there. Sounds really good!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
DaveNW, can you please ask your wife why Costco doesn't have an "express" checkout lane for people with just a few items. Also, it would be great if they instituted the self-check phone app that Sam's Club has. Our new Costco is much more conveniently located to our home so we've switched from Sam's Club to Costco, but I do miss the self-check lanes and the phone app at Sam's Club.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

I was just speaking with a friend of mine today who lives in NJ and they just opened a Costco there and she said it is pretty much the same as Sam's Club. Except- no Vodka at our Sam's Club.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
DaveNW, can you please ask your wife why Costco doesn't have an "express" checkout lane for people with just a few items. Also, it would be great if they instituted the self-check phone app that Sam's Club has. Our new Costco is much more conveniently located to our home so we've switched from Sam's Club to Costco, but I do miss the self-check lanes and the phone app at Sam's Club.

I saw self-check out stations maybe about 6-8, at the Issaquah Costco a couple of weeks ago. This is right across the street from corporate HQ, so maybe they're going to be implemented later at other locations? I'm not sure if they were "express" though for a max # of items; I had too many items, so went thru regular cashier.

I have not noticed self-checkout at other Seattle area Costcos, but I don't go to the other ones all that often.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Karen, I believe Costco tried the self check thing but people complained it was too much trouble to use. I never saw it, so can’t speak to that. The best answer I ever got about express lines had to do with payroll staffing. It cost too much to have an expensive clerk manning a checkout lane for small orders.

Next time you’re in your warehouse, stop by Membership and pick up a Tell Us What You Think card. It’s a comment card, and they have a drop box for them. Warehouse Management reads every card. If enough people ask for something, it might happen. That’s a great way to get them to start selling a certain product again, after it was deleted.

Dave

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I saw self-check out stations maybe about 6-8, at the Issaquah Costco a couple of weeks ago. This is right across the street from corporate HQ, so maybe they're going to be implemented later at other locations? I'm not sure if they were "express" though for a max # of items; I had too many items, so went thru regular cashier.

I have not noticed self-checkout at other Seattle area Costcos, but I don't go to the other ones all that often.

They may be testing those to see how they do. Issaquah gets a lot of cool stuff other warehouses don’t see.

Dave

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
The Issaquah Costco, i.e. the mothership, put the self checkout lanes in last fall, I think. The new Costco in Redmond, the next closest one, does not have them. They do speed things up a lot, especially since we usually only get a few items. However, the Issaquah store is the most crowded one around and I will only go in there weekday, mid-morning. The Redmond store is much less crowded and I will even get gas there on a weekend, something I wouldn't even think about in Issaquah.

Sue

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Personally I hate the self checkout lines at Safeway, Fred Meyer, etc. I never use them. I would prefer they restore the clerk manned lines and take out the self checkout. Better to employ more people. Many times at Costco and only have 1 or 2 items folks pass me to the front of the line. I return the favor when I have full cart and folks behind me have only 1 or 2 items.

Being retired we can choice when to go to Costco. We try to avoid all weekends or the couple days right after pay day. Tuesday or Thursday mornings seem to be good days. Recently I was going to Costco and Patti asked me to wait until she could go with me on Saturday. I asked if she really wanted to go on a Saturday right after a pay day. Without any hesitation she encouraged me to go without her.

One pet peeve is the folks that shop and then decide to stop and have lunch on the way out. You end of with lots of full carts blocking things around the tables. We eat first and then shop.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
One pet peeve is the folks that shop and then decide to stop and have lunch on the way out. You end of with lots of full carts blocking things around the tables. We eat first and then shop.

In warmer places, like Hawaii, the Food Court is outside. I like that, because the full carts are outside too. :)

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
In warmer places, like Hawaii, the Food Court is outside. I like that, because the full carts are outside too. :)

Dave

Even there we eat first. That way you do not have to worry about your frozen or refrigerated items.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
We have been Sams Club members and were just not impressed. They had a quirk at least at that time of not accepting I believe VISA! If memory serves me, which it usually doesn’t, they only accepted Discover cards. Made it inconvenient for us.

We are now members at BJ’s and Costco. We joined BJ’s when they first opened many years ago because they are only 8 miles from our home. Been pretty happy over the years but I wouldn’t say impressed.

Costco is a different story. Their bakery, seafood and meat selection is superior to the nicest grocery/meat markets around. Great selection and cuts you just won’t find elsewhere, at least in the area we live. The last time we were there my wife had to literally pull me away from a cold section that had nothing but Pork Belly in it! Now, if the were only closer we would be junkies for sure. But the closest one is about 25 miles so we only plan a trip every two or three months.

My turn offs are the long checkout lines with no self checkouts available. But, in all fairness, their cashiers are superior to most places and the lines move relatively quickly. But, the major turn off has nothing to do with them. It’s the rude people that go there! Navigating the isles can be hazardous to one’s health if not watching closely and being a defensive driver! People either walk or stand in the aisles totally oblivious to those around them. It’s like their first trip to Disneyland. All they can see is that they have arrived in the Magic Kingdom. Makes it nearly impossible to just dash in and dash out without making a trip to the ER.