• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco - hearing aids

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
There are two others fairly close...but they're even more packed than ours! We live in northern NJ. We've been to Costcos in other places and they are absolutely peaceful compared to ours. Anyway, we were thinking it would be a long wait for the evaluation and fitting, but then adjustments would not need such a long wait.

You might call those other locations and ask about appointment times. They may have availability sooner.

Dave

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You might call those other locations and ask about appointment times. They may have availability sooner.

Dave

It's okay, I made the appointment ages ago and it's...well, it's only a month away now. (And to get to one of the other nearby Costcos--the one in Yonkers--we have to go over the GWB. Now a $16 crossing!)

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
This is what we were planning a few years ago for my DH. We went to the audiologist who had worked with my MIL; she had very serious hearing loss. The audiologist spent a lot of time w DH and recommended some aids that did seem excellent. Then we went to Costco...and the audiologist there said that his hearing loss was not enough to warrant hearing aids! So we held off, and now he's going back in July for another test.

The private audiologist was great, but part of the premium that my MIL paid was for his patience and accessibility when she had problems. Our Costco hearing department is intense. DH is waiting about eight weeks to get an appointment.
So we had the appt this morning and were presented with Oticon More 1 and that was it. When I asked about a more discrete in the ear model I was told they block the sound and that wasn’t a good choice for my husband who had mild hearing loss of high sounds ( can’t think of the correct terminology)
So I came home and started reading and apparently you can use the other models with mild hearing loss.

Wondering if he was profiled as “senior” thus offered the “easiest” option?
( hitting head against the wall )

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, I need to share my in-law’s hearing aid story from several years ago.

My FIL worked around heavy machinery all his life and his hearing was not what it used to be. He resisted getting hearing aids, denying he needed them, dispute our pleas.

One day he and my MIL were walking in the mall and my MIL nudged him and said, “Look free hearing tests.” FIL walked a few more steps, turned to her and said, “Why in the world would I want a free URINE test?”

He got the test.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
So we had the appt this morning and were presented with Oticon More 1 and that was it. When I asked about a more discrete in the ear model I was told they block the sound and that wasn’t a good choice for my husband who had mild hearing loss of high sounds ( can’t think of the correct terminology)
So I came home and started reading and apparently you can use the other models with mild hearing loss.

Wondering if he was profiled as “senior” thus offered the “easiest” option?
( hitting head against the wall )
Hi Grayfal,

Oticon More 1 is a great choice. It's the newest Oticon model and has their newest processing chip which has some fantastic features. I would not hesitate to purchase the More 1.

Richard

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Grayfal,

Oticon More 1 is a great choice. It's the newest Oticon model and has their newest processing chip which has some fantastic features. I would not hesitate to purchase the More 1.

Richard
Thank you. We are going to go to Costco. See what they offer. The price for these 2 unit was $5995.

My issue is it is very apparent you are wearing a hearing aid. My husband has short white hair and glasses. Was there a reason he could not get ones that fit in his ears? I know you don't "know us" but the reason given seem "lame" to me. @Dean and his wife wear smaller units, why would that not be offered to my husband with a minor hearing loss? The website states the other units are able to be used with minor hearing loss.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. We are going to go to Costco. See what they offer. The price for these 2 unit was $5995.

My issue is it is very apparent you are wearing a hearing aid. My husband has short white hair and glasses. Was there a reason he could not get ones that fit in his ears? I know you don't "know us" but the reason given seem "lame" to me. @Dean and his wife wear smaller units, why would that not be offered to my husband with a minor hearing loss? The website states the other units are able to be used with minor hearing loss.

When you say "smaller hearing aids," you mean the kinds like Lyric that go all the way in and are not visible from the outside at all, right?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When you say "smaller hearing aids," you mean the kinds like Lyric that go all the way in and are not visible from the outside at all, right?
From my reading I see there are 3 different variety's of that type. I honestly did not know they even still made the kind that has a wire coming out of your ear canal and attached to a unit that sits on top of your ear.
I will show you a picture.

Attachments

• 0E3BDB67-181E-47AB-B5DF-B3FA9F316132.jpeg
    0E3BDB67-181E-47AB-B5DF-B3FA9F316132.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 10

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
From my reading I see there are 3 different variety's of that type. I honestly did not know they even still made the kind that has a wire coming out of your ear canal and attached to a unit that sits on top of your ear.
I will show you a picture.
So there's this kind w a wire, then there's the kind that looks like chewing gum in your ear (sorry about disgusting image), and there's the "invisible" kind?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So there's this kind w a wire, then there's the kind that looks like chewing gum in your ear (sorry about disgusting image), and there's the "invisible" kind?
There are three or four kinds that are mostly in your ear.
And this external model.

Attachments

• 9D338520-A31F-4486-B7F4-8C6962428A3F.jpeg
    9D338520-A31F-4486-B7F4-8C6962428A3F.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 10

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are three or four kinds that are mostly in your ear.
And this external model.

I'm pretty sure when my husband went, we were offered a good-better-best choice that really boiled down to better or best, and best also had the best accessories.

Beach57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paradisus Palma Real and Club Solaris Los Cabos
Hi Dean,

As you probably know, there are several major categories of hearing aid styles - Receiver-In-the-Canal (RIC) Hearing Aids, Behind-the-Ear (BTE) Hearing Aids, In-the-Ear (ITE) Hearing Aids, and Canal Hearing Aids. While different models are different sizes, I think your wife wants Canal-style hearing aids. Some Canal-style hearing have dual-microphones which are absolutely essential for noise reduction (groups, restaurants, parties) and some are not due to size constraints. One needs to make a choice between size and performance. Certain features are eliminated the smaller a hearing aid is, one being the hearing aids cannot communicate with each other and have to be adjusted separately. Also power (gain) is limited, Bluetooth may or may not be available and the number of programs is limited. There's not just one best hearing aid - many factors need to be considered.

Richard
I’m an audiologist who fits 90% of my patients with the receiver-in-the-canal style. Between the rechargeability, multi microphones, bluetooth option, and less occlusion (feeling like you’re talking in a barrel), it’s typically a win. Patients with dexterity issues or a large hearing loss may benefit from another style. During COVID, the mask straps would be a problem with the receiver wires getting caught up in them upon mask removal, but I taught the patients how to bypass the hearing aids.

For a very affordable option, you may want to think about MDHearing aids. Excellent product, but no face to face option for adjustments.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m an audiologist who fits 90% of my patients with the receiver-in-the-canal style. Between the rechargeability, multi microphones, bluetooth option, and less occlusion (feeling like you’re talking in a barrel), it’s typically a win. Patients with dexterity issues or a large hearing loss may benefit from another style. During COVID, the mask straps would be a problem with the receiver wires getting caught up in them upon mask removal, but I taught the patients how to bypass the hearing aids.

For a very affordable option, you may want to think about MDHearing aids. Excellent product, but no face to face option for adjustments.
Although I am not Dean I thank you for this. I really feel my husband (who went to the first appt without me) came across as a "old dear senior citizen" who could not possibly care about the atheistic of his hearing aid or have the ability to know how the other ones function.
As a women over 60, I am used to being overlooked and marginalized and having to refocus how I am treated by others but it's my first experience with having this happen to my husband.

Since he doesn't have dexterity issues or a large hearing loss I imagine he would be a candidate for these other products. We will make an appt at Costco and see what they offer and go from there.

Beach57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paradisus Palma Real and Club Solaris Los Cabos
Although I am not Dean I thank you for this. I really feel my husband (who went to the first appt without me) came across as a "old dear senior citizen" who could not possibly care about the atheistic of his hearing aid or have the ability to know how the other ones function.
As a women over 60, I am used to being overlooked and marginalized and having to refocus how I am treated by others but it's my first experience with having this happen to my husband.

Since he doesn't have dexterity issues or a large hearing loss I imagine he would be a candidate for these other products. We will make an appt at Costco and see what they offer and go from there.
They are inconspicuous if fitted correctly. Good luck from one almost sixty-year-old to one over sixty. I, too, am beginning to feel marginalized. Our country doesn’t revere people as they age like other countries do. It’s really a shame because we have so much wisdom from accumulated life experiences!

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
I was conned into "inconspicuous" when I got my first hearing aids. Later, when our local Costco started providing hearing aids, I switched to behind-the-ear. As far as I can tell, no one noticed...and I have been hearing much better, as they have more power, are more tunable to my needs, and have multiple programs. "Inconspicuous" is overrated in my view.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was conned into "inconspicuous" when I got my first hearing aids. Later, when our local Costco started providing hearing aids, I switched to behind-the-ear. As far as I can tell, no one noticed...and I have been hearing much better, as they have more power, are more tunable to my needs, and have multiple programs. "Inconspicuous" is overrated in my view.
That's my impression too--that the over-the-ear kind has more power bc they don't have to cram all the electronics into a teeny little thing. Audiologists, what are your thoughts on this, please?

When my MIL was looking--and she had very severe hearing loss--we were both saying it would be fine to have something even bigger if it would work better. For mild hearing loss, I can understand wanting small, inconspicuous hearing aids.

There's an episode of Columbia from the 1970s that hinges on a deaf chess player. His hearing aids are so huge they're not even recognizable as hearing aids! I remember a box the size of an a transistor radio...(if you remember how big THOSE were). This pic shows just the ear part.

dangerous-14.jpg

Last edited: