• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco car rentals - something interesting maybe

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
When checking Costco for our dates in April for our next trip I noticed the prices had dropped a bit. So I attempted to make a new reservation. I say attempted because during the process I discovered our account had expired. So I call to renew, mention I had been trying to book a car rental and the nice representative tells me that if I call, and give my confirmation number to the rental agent they can book it for me. The membership renewal will take about 24 hours to process so I decide to do this.

I am transferred to Costco travel and finally get to a rep for Alamo, which is who had the lowest rate. She is very happy to help me online, takes all of the information, then quotes me a rate not only higher to what I'm seeing online, but higher than the reservation I currently have (with another company). She tells me that sometimes the online prices are lower. Okay fine, I tell her I'm not booking the car for the price she's quoting.

So, long story short, just beware if you need to call Costco travel for a booking.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Frankly, I'd rather not talk to a human anyway for car rental reservations. I'm much more comfortable with the web interface given the number of times I tend to cancel and rebook.

This overall does seem odd though ...

-ryan

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I'm with you, I much prefer to make the reservations online. I was just kind of surprised they couldn't offer the same prices. Usually when I talk to a live person they tell me that they are seeing the same options I see online. Yeah, right.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I had checked on Monday and made a new reservation with Costco. We cancelled the Interval International auto reservation. It was about a $80 difference. I think we have about three months to go.

I also made new auto reservations for another trip for this winter but haven't cancelled the first reservation yet. This one was through the rental agency site.

So how did your membership lapse ? Ours is included with the AMEX card.

Bill

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Our membership lapsed just like any other membership. When we lived closer to a Costco and were in just about every week, we'd just pay it when it was up. Now we're farther away and don't get in as often. We don't have a Costco American Express.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Our membership lapsed just like any other membership. When we lived closer to a Costco and were in just about every week, we'd just pay it when it was up. Now we're farther away and don't get in as often. We don't have a Costco American Express.

But Luanne, they're opening a Costco in Santa Fe. You'll have no excuse. ;

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
But Luanne, they're opening a Costco in Santa Fe. You'll have no excuse. ;

Dave

Oh Dave, please tell me that's true! :whoopie:

We keep hearing rumors.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Oh Dave, please tell me that's true! :whoopie:

We keep hearing rumors.

Well, heckfire! The addictedtocostco.com website said it was a done deal, but now the Fall 2015 opening date is "uncertain."

How can we transfer there if there isn't a warehouse to work in? Dang...

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Well, heckfire! The addictedtocostco.com website said it was a done deal, but now the Fall 2015 opening date is "uncertain."

How can we transfer there if there isn't a warehouse to work in? Dang...

Dave

I know the area that Costco looked at as a potential spot, but there are no signs, and definitely no ground breaking yet. It would be huge news if Costco came in. There is a Sam's Club, but many of us only have a Costco membership and make the drive to Albuquerque whe we need to go.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
II, who would have ever thought!

Thanks, Luanne. After almost 20 yrs with II, I never knew (or maybe I am so skewed towards Costco and Priceline) they offered car rentals.

Anyways, I just checked II and their $238 (FS all-in price) rate for 11 days in Maui next July 4th blew away my curent CostCo rate of $492. WOW!

LOL, and I was expecting the low $200's, but NOT this early, maybe sometime next Feb-Mar timeframe to catch this sort of price.

Now, I have to add II to my car rental toolkit.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks, Luanne. After almost 20 yrs with II, I never knew (or maybe I am so skewed towards Costco and Priceline) they offered car rentals.

Anyways, I just checked II and their $238 (FS all-in price) rate for 11 days in Maui next July 4th blew away my curent CostCo rate of $492. WOW!

LOL, and I was expecting the low $200's, but NOT this early, maybe sometime next Feb-Mar timeframe to catch this sort of price.

Now, I have to add II to my car rental toolkit.

Keep checking as the Costco rates will most likely change again. I was able to book April on the Big Island with Costco (Alamo) yesterday after my Costco membership was renewed. :D We're still at $495 for a full size for two weeks. Hoping to see that drop quite a bit.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep checking as the Costco rates will most likely change again. I was able to book April on the Big Island with Costco (Alamo) yesterday after my Costco membership was renewed. :D We're still at $495 for a full size for two weeks. Hoping to see that drop quite a bit.

Yep, I still have 10 months of Costco watching! So far, I have an HNL 7 days FS at $153 plus the OGG 11 days FS at $238, totaling $491 for a little over 2 1/2 weeks (includes July 4th). From my various Hawaiian trips, I think you can reasonably catch something under $300 for your 2 weeks in April, when if it runs onto Easter week. The trick is to check frequently and catch the decrease when the Costco coupon kicks in closer top the day of travel. Lol I often have one of my kids check also...if he gets a less expensive rate, he gets a set percentage of the savings!

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder about booking with Costco Travel -- if you see a good rate, book it!

Usually I get the best rate about a month out. But I look early, book the best rate I can find, and keep watching. Right now, I have a car reserved for Christmas in Chicago. Booked it in May, and been watching since. Just in the last week, the price has doubled! I'm glad I have the old price locked in.

YMMV,
Bob

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Per other thread... I probably booked and canceled 10 reservations for LIH over 6 months. Started at $620 for 14 day rental, and ended up at $292. This was for an Intermediate car That was not available when we arrived so got full size (4dr Nissan Altima) - Alamo.

Alamo also has self-service kiosks - which makes things so much smoother. I was surprise that there were no kiosks for Avis (at OGG) - what a hassle waiting in line with just 2 people working.
The Avis rental was done by friend who went thru Avis (not Costco) for a Family Van - $555 for the week (ouch) - I checked Costco and it was $420, but they thought they were getting the best price directly thru Avis (and they were paying, so...).

btw - YMMV, but Costco (I'm my case) outdid AutoSlash and DiscountHI. I understand AS will match Costco, but Costco makes it so easy no reason to change.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
So how did your membership lapse ? Ours is included with the AMEX card.

It's not really included but rather the membership is charged automatically to your costco amex on your renewal date. For everyone that doesn't have the costco amex it can easily lapse.

medsed

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to say thank you, tuggers. First, I had totally forgotten about Costco for car rentals. I booked for what was a good price about a week ago. Then, after reading these threads I figured I would double check to see if pricing had changed. Well......a drop of forty dollars and the next car size up!! I am really happy with this as I dislike the tiniest cars...hubby is tallish and more comfortable in just a slightly larger vehicle. $40 in my pocket instead of the rental company's sounds good to me (heck, that should about cover dinner one night).

So, once again TUG has helped me save money and made my vacation time a little more enjoyable in the process!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I just wanted to say thank you, tuggers. First, I had totally forgotten about Costco for car rentals. I booked for what was a good price about a week ago. Then, after reading these threads I figured I would double check to see if pricing had changed. Well......a drop of forty dollars and the next car size up!! I am really happy with this as I dislike the tiniest cars...hubby is tallish and more comfortable in just a slightly larger vehicle. $40 in my pocket instead of the rental company's sounds good to me (heck, that should about cover dinner one night).

So, once again TUG has helped me save money and made my vacation time a little more enjoyable in the process!

Keep watching them. Rates change frequently. It will pay you back to keep an eye on Costco's rates.

Dave

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
OGG Costco Alamo Mid-Size (Nissan Sentra) 10 days $206 all in (not counting optional AMEX insurance at $17.95 which I pay for separately).

Sent from my iPad

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
OGG Costco Alamo Mid-Size (Nissan Sentra) 10 days $206 all in (not counting optional AMEX insurance at $17.95 which I pay for separately).

Sent from my iPad

Ken, what dates (month at least).

I'm still looking at $495 for 14 days for a fullsize on the Big Island for April, 2016.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Ken, what dates (month at least).

I'm still looking at $495 for 14 days for a fullsize on the Big Island for April, 2016.

He's there now. It's off-season so rates are lower.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
He's there now. It's off-season so rates are lower.

Yes. However, rates change often, as we all know, even for busier periods. For this 10 day visit, my quotes were:

11/14/14: $428.42, Enterprise intermediate
2/15/15: $375.63, Alamo premium
4/6/15: $332.90, Avis full
5/21/15: $289.86, Alamo standard
6/10/15: $272.13, Alamo intermediate
6/11/15: $277.97, Alamo full (when I thought I needed it)
6/30/15: $270.45, Alamo standard
8/1/15: $239.59, Enterprise intermediate
8/20/15: $206.02, Alamo intermediate

Autoslash best offer (I did not update them for Costco): $231.33, Budget full size (and I absolutely hate dealing with Budget at OGG)

Sent from my iPad

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
... I absolutely hate dealing with Budget at OGG)

Sent from my iPad

What makes it tough sometimes is how some companies are associated with one another. For example, here are some notes I took from some time ago so unsure if still accurate:

- Avis owns Budget
- Hertz owns Advantage, Dollar and Thrifty
- Enterprise owns Alamo and National

So, if above relationships are still current, IF you hate dealing with Budget at OGG, does that mean you also avoid Avis at OGG?

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, I still have 10 months of Costco watching! So far, I have an HNL 7 days FS at $153 plus the OGG 11 days FS at $238, totaling $491 for a little over 2 1/2 weeks (includes July 4th). From my various Hawaiian trips, I think you can reasonably catch something under $300 for your 2 weeks in April, when if it runs onto Easter week. The trick is to check frequently and catch the decrease when the Costco coupon kicks in closer top the day of travel. Lol I often have one of my kids check also...if he gets a less expensive rate, he gets a set percentage of the savings!
Just an update since end of August, the 7 day FS at HNL remains unchanged at $153; however, my 11 days OGG FS dropped from $238 to $223; both low prices are Autoslash (Budget and Dollar, respectively) which for now is better than Costco by about $20-$50 range.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
What makes it tough sometimes is how some companies are associated with one another. For example, here are some notes I took from some time ago so unsure if still accurate:

- Avis owns Budget

- Hertz owns Advantage, Dollar and Thrifty

- Enterprise owns Alamo and National

So, if above relationships are still current, IF you hate dealing with Budget at OGG, does that mean you also avoid Avis at OGG?

No. As posted elsewhere, Budget has insufficient staff, long lines (at least during my experiences with them at this particular location), no automated checkin process similar to Alamo, and pushes hard for unnecessary insurance. Avis may have similar issues at Maui, but I think I've only rented once from them there and it was okay. Advantage was good a couple of times and then I had a very poor experience and won't consider them unless it's a huge price difference (unlikely).

I've posted my experiences elsewhere in more detail. Suffice it to say that if you don't mind long lines then Budget is your go to rental option on Maui.

Sent from my iPad