• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco and Coronavirus Panic-Shopping

Jan S

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's human nature to protect oneself and loved ones around you. The scary part is that once we get the masses tested, the number of sick patients is going to skyrocket. Our Costco hands out numbers to people waiting in line before they open. There are restrictions on how much you can buy in a effort to let everyone have a chance to get what they need. One lady said yesterday, her number was 253 at 0600!! Can you imagine, waiting in the rain for over 3 hours with 250+ people to buy at Costco. It's insane.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We went out at 6am this morning to a local grocery store, Albertsons. No meat on the shelves except for a few packages of Italian sausages, which we picked up a few packages to throw into the freezer. We got everything that we wanted except for meat. We asked the cashier and she said people were coming in wiping out the shelves. We asked when the meat will be replenished and she said Monday morning. It is definitely getting worse.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I remember when TP was so plentiful and cheap that we used to string multiple rolls in the trees of my enemies.

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Laughter is supposed to boost your immune system.

1584208522211.png

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we were on vacation when our kitchen broom stool up in the kitchen. LOL.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Six cases of the corona virus in my county, but no sign of panic at the supermarket this morning. A display of bottled water as you walked into the store and a display of Charmin as soon as you turned to corner. No sign of empty shelves that I could see. I guess this is one of the advantages of living in the midwest.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just posted the same link at the same time as Conan! And this is why some people find empty shelves. A man thinks he's found an opportunity too good to be true by driving 1,300 miles to buy up every bit of hand sanitizer, wipes, medical masks, etc in small towns so he can gouge people on Amazon and eBay. Some people have reportedly made over $100K, reselling sanitizer wipes online. Good Lord. What have we become?

If you can't get the NY Times page, it's here, too. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...er-says-hes-doing-a-public-service-2020-03-14

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
I would definitely like to see prosecution. Try the "I'm helping distribution" line in court. Doesn't work that way when you prevented your neighbors from buying it off the shelf.

Just simply gross behavior. I'm glad the platforms are cracking down. I shouldn't have to have an Amazon account to get what my local store stocks, were it not for people like him concerned about his wallet over lives in his neighborhood.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
A fight ensued as the last two boxes of 9mm ammo sold out at Cabelas today. Police were called in as the guys were actually decent fighters and wouldn't stop. Neither of them were able to purchase the last two boxes. Both went to jail.

I wondered why some one would wait until today to purchase ammo.

People are swarming our Costco but no one is going to stores like the big grocery store that caters to our Mexican population. They have everything including plenty of tp. Safeway is still stocked with everything too. Some one reported Costco so everyone is going to Costco. The line wrapped around the building the last couple of days.

Oddly, today at Lowes I was picking up 5 gallons of paint and there was a pallet of tp in the center isle. This is the first time I ever saw tp at Lowes, lol.

Bill

Brett

Reaction score
Just posted the same link at the same time as Conan! And this is why some people find empty shelves. A man thinks he's found an opportunity too good to be true by driving 1,300 miles to buy up every bit of hand sanitizer, wipes, medical masks, etc in small towns so he can gouge people on Amazon and eBay. Some people have reportedly made over $100K, reselling sanitizer wipes online. Good Lord. What have we become?

If you can't get the NY Times page, it's here, too. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...er-says-hes-doing-a-public-service-2020-03-14

"pandemic arbitragers"

arbitr35-15.jpg

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Oddly, today at Lowes I was picking up 5 gallons of paint and there was a pallet of tp in the center isle. This is the first time I ever saw tp at Lowes, lol.

Bill

I saw the same thing at Home Depot last week. I have never, ever, thought of HD and TP in the same sentence. ;)

Dave

vglap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had no water at our Costco over the last few days. Not a rush, but rather a consequence of one of the main 8' wide water supply lines getting accidentally ruptured.

City of Houston, and surrounding cities, nearly in its entirety, was in a boil water or buy bottled water mode for at least 3 days. Ironically, the store other than no bottled water was not that busy on this past saturday.
Bro I thought N'Awlins was bad

vglap

TUG Member
Reaction score
How are things in your neighborhood 11 days later i.e. today? Here in South Jersey people are reacting nonsensically it seems. What's the flu count today, anyone know?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
How are things in your neighborhood 11 days later i.e. today? Here in South Jersey people are reacting nonsensically it seems. What's the flu count today, anyone know?

My Costco is still over the top, crowds out the door, at times. They ran out of TP again yesterday, and had sold out most bottled water. So not "as" crazy as it was, but still much busier than normal. And people are still hoarding and panic-shopping. Please stop this insanity.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Our Costco hands out numbers to people waiting in line before they open. There are restrictions on how much you can buy in a effort to let everyone have a chance to get what they need. One lady said yesterday, her number was 253 at 0600!! Can you imagine, waiting in the rain for over 3 hours with 250+ people to buy at Costco. It's insane.

Jan, which Costco is this? Spouse asked, and said we may have to start doing that here, in NW Washington. Unprecendented lines.

Dave

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I'm with everyone else, Ken.
You really posted a poor hot take on Dave's informative and prescient post.
People gotta get a grip, slow down, prepare and act SENSIBLY for their own and everyone else's good.
We are all in this together, for better or worse!

Please don’t imply I’m not acting sensibly...nor a grip...and I know I’m going slowly... still haven’t seen long lines of people returning TP to Costco, so not sure how it was prescient but whatever...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We don't have a Costco here (we're firmly in WalMart Country), but when I dropped into Aldi's for butter this afternoon, I was stunned by the empty shelves and frozen food section. I'm talking EMPTY!

Our first local confirmed Covid-19 case was announced on Thursday. Several more being tested. I guess that activated the hoarding gene?

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Please don’t imply I’m not acting sensibly...nor a grip...and I know I’m going slowly... still haven’t seen long lines of people returning TP to Costco, so not sure how it was prescient but whatever...

The returns haven't started yet. People are still panic-buying everything, and what was happening here is now happening all over the place. Once they think they don't need everything they bought, they're going to want to return it.

Dave

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Hey Ken.

Probably best for you just to go silent. When Dave first started the post it was possible 10% of folks here could agree with you ... now? May be 0.0001% would agree.

Time to cut your losses. Either own up to the fact that your take was wrong ... or just go silent.

We’ve all had posts we see later as being either unfortunate or just plain errant ... but your post scolding Dave for this thread is perhaps the worst ever.

Time to simply face facts ...

Just one mans opinion (but probably shared by 99.9999% of us here).

Wes

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The returns haven't started yet. People are still panic-buying everything, and what was happening here is now happening all over the place. Once they think they don't need everything they bought, they're going to want to return it.

Dave

It’s quite possible. Hope not (for your wife). Still, if it makes them feel more comfortable by having more during this questionable time, I don’t think that’s asking a lot. Personally, I only bought what I use and won’t be returning anything. I received a Costco delivery yesterday which was great, except for the overripe cantaloupe!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Hey Ken.

Probably best for you just to go silent. When Dave first started the post it was possible 10% of folks here could agree with you ... now? May be 0.0001% would agree.

Time to cut your losses. Either own up to the fact that your take was wrong ... or just go silent.

We’ve all had posts we see later as being either unfortunate or just plain errant ... but your post scolding Dave for this thread is perhaps the worst ever.

Time to simply face facts ...

Just one mans opinion (but probably shared by 99.9999% of us here).

Wes

Hey Wes,

Thanks for your opinion. I think you, and many others here, really didn’t understand what I posted.

All the best,
Ken

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey Wes,

Thanks for your opinion. I think you, and many others here, really didn’t understand what I posted.

All the best,
Ken

Or ... you didn’t understand what Dave posted. Somehow all of the rest of us understood it. But you missed the entire point of his post.

It’s not the big of a deal. You just missed it.

Wes.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
OMG, no!!! ;)

Dave