• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costa Rica in early Jun or Jul?

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
only Platinum MVC - Fairway Villas, Newport Coast, Grande Vista, Desert Springs, Summit Watch (x2), Grande Ocean OS (x2), and too many destination points
I’ve been sitting in a lot of hold points, just waiting for summer vacation to hit, and found that I can (did) book Costa Rica, for what I now understand as the beginning of their rainy season.

If you’ve been there, would you bother to make the flights from the East Coast?

igopogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been to Costa Rica three times in June. While there were moments with heavy downpour, every day had sunshine and many did not have rain. Much like the southern US in the summer. Be prepared, but it’s a beautiful country and a great time to visit.

Reactions: Fi2

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
Costa Rica is beautiful. I would highly recommend it to anyone. We were there end of May, and it rained most every day, very heavy a few times, but then the sun came out. We really enjoyed our time there and look forward to going back one day. We flew into Liberia and stayed on the west side, which I think is the drier side, it rains a lot more and harder in other areas. The humidity was off the charts though. I felt like I was always wet and never dried out.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Going in early July. Plan to visit Manuel Antonio, Monteverde, Arenal/La Fortuna and Guanacaste/Tamarindo Beach for two weeks. Will let you know how rainy it is.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
BTW, where is the Marriott vacation club located?
About 50 miles SW of San Jose. It's a town called Playa Herradura, which is close to Jaco (a big surfing destination).

Don't equate distances to here in the states (though living in the Bay Area you know that 10 miles as the crow flies can be 30 in the car). It's probably close to two hours.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Good to know. We will pass Jaco on our way to Manuel Antonio. May make a stop to check it out.

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
only Platinum MVC - Fairway Villas, Newport Coast, Grande Vista, Desert Springs, Summit Watch (x2), Grande Ocean OS (x2), and too many destination points
Considering the distance and travel involved, I’m now thinking it’s too aggressive for me to squeeze a weeklong Costa Rica trip in this summer — maybe plan for two weeks minimum?

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Considering the distance and travel involved, I’m now thinking it’s too aggressive for me to squeeze a weeklong Costa Rica trip in this summer — maybe plan for two weeks minimum?
If you are going for two weeks, I will suggest the second week be at Monteverde and Arenal/La Fortuna.

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you are going for two weeks, I will suggest the second week be at Monteverde and Arenal/La Fortuna.

Thank you for this, and in anticipation of your report-to-come, after your trip this summer. I didn’t realize how involved in-country travel requirements might be, thus sincerely appreciate the encouragement, wisdom and experience you (and other tuggers) kindly share.

As to humidity, my kids and I have endured weeks in SE Asia, and even mainland China, during pre-covid summers, so I imagine we’d be “okay” traveling, as long as we go with a more thoughtful plan than my day has thus far afforded me!

Norcal5

TUG Member
Reaction score

We are there for 9 nights in December. The first night is in San Juan. Should we do 2 nights in La Fortuna then 6 nights at Los Suenos, or 3 nights La Fortuna then 5 nights Los Suenos?
(The Springs in La Fortuna is $1500/night versus $400 at Los Suenos)

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This will be our first trip to Costa Rica (other than one day stop from a cruise ship to Tortuguero National Park) so not too sure. Arenal and Monteverde are supposed to be beautiful with rain and cloud forests, volcano, and wild lives. The interior would be a nice contrast to the coastal area. In Arenal, we will stay at the Arenal Observatory Lodge since we are into birdwatch, wildlife and hiking. The Spring Resort looks really nice and we might buy a day pass to visit its hot springs.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
Keep in mind that driving in Costa Rica is much different than the US or UK. If not a main road, streets can be poorly marked, and it is recommended not to drive after dark if you are not familiar. Factor in slow traffic and bad roads in deciding how far to venture out in any day. Luckily we found Waze to be pretty good, but still we were very cautious, plus we don't speak the language, so there's that.

igopogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
This will be our first trip to Costa Rica (other than one day stop from a cruise ship to Tortuguero National Park) so not too sure. Arenal and Monteverde are supposed to be beautiful with rain and cloud forests, volcano, and wild lives. The interior would be a nice contrast to the coastal area. In Arenal, we will stay at the Arenal Observatory Lodge since we are into birdwatch, wildlife and hiking. The Spring Resort looks really nice and we might buy a day pass to visit its hot springs.
Arenal springs is like Disneyland, including the cost :) there’s another hot springs right in the town of La Fortuna that will serve you well for probably 1/4 of the price. I think you would have to ask the locals, it’s literally ring the bell on an almost unmarked gate. I’ll see if I can track it down.

it’s been a while but I really liked a resort in Monteverde called Villa Blanca. They had some great naturalist guides. It can be a bit of a ghost town in the summer though and you definitely would want to make sure there are other guests staying, otherwise they may not offer any excursions.

igopogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Las Termalitas de Arenal. Don't let me push my budget agenda on you, but definitely take a look on TripAdvisor and see if it might be interesting. I said 1/4 the price, truly it's more like 1/10 the price of Tabacon.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Las Termalitas de Arenal. Don't let me push my budget agenda on you, but definitely take a look on TripAdvisor and see if it might be interesting. I said 1/4 the price, truly it's more like 1/10 the price of Tabacon.
Excellent! Thanks! Much cheaper than Arenal Springs or Tabacon which we also considered buying a day pass.

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Termalitas de Arenal. Don't let me push my budget agenda on you

I’m happy to take recommendations of lower cost and greater “adventure”! Once my youngest was old enough for me to take on trips of a month+, my kids and I would primarily play “tourist” during the < 2weeks my husband joins us for a needed restful break from his work. But before or after his arrival, the kids and I will happily “travel” on a stricter budget, literally and figuratively enjoying the local flavor, to better afford the time away.

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
We are here now. It is a great resort and great country. Rain season starts late May early June and goes through to August. The temps are a bit cooler but still good. Some days it rained a lot for an hour or so and then clears up. Other days it is nice and sunny with rain at night. Humidity is higher this time of year but not Florida unbearable. The hotel amenities and activities includes paddle boarding, a bucket of balls and clubs for the driving range, kayaks, tennis racket and courts, s'mores etc etc. Tours around the area are well worth it. Did full day at Adventure park horse riding to a waterfall, ATV's through the jungle and zip lining including fruit after each activity and lunch included. Did a trip with Costa Cat to Tortuga island including snorkeling, banana boat and hiking with lunch included and drinks which was excellent. Wr enjoyed our time much more than in Cancun and the trips and activities were of the same or higher standard than in the Bahamas. We will definitely return.
One plug for a great restaurant we found by accident about 40 minutes from the resort on the way or back.
Directions:
Sabor a la leña Koka
+506 8337 6863

We also attended a sales presentation and am seriously thinking of buying to be able to come back with less hassle. Rented one night from another points owner. Booked two nights with own points and rented three nights through Marriott.com
IMG_20220601_162136016.jpg

igopogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
“Lunch included” is such a great custom with Costa Rica tours, and I have yet to be disappointed.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We were there in July 2019. The weather was fine. It rarely rained except a drizzle. We were on the dry side so maybe that’s why. We might have had 1 day with more rain but it did not affect our day. We stayed at Penisula Papagayo at the Four Seasons Costa Rica for a week. We started at the Westin Playa Conchal for 3 days which I really liked. We have not yet stayed at the Marriott timeshare but I am sure it will be great. We have been to Costa Rica twice and I loved it both times.

Remember I am the Tugger with high expectations so if I love something, then it is pretty amazing. LOL :)

We won the lottery with our Four Seasons Aviara week, which is rare to win in your first year of ownership. FSA said it was a very low entry year. We own 2 EOY gold weeks so we also had double the chance to win that year. Four Seasons Costa Rica is the best resort we have ever stayed at. Very upscale. I had realistic expectations so I was wowed with our room and the view.