• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coronavirus Wreaking Havoc on Your Travel Plans?

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are feeling lucky that we had no particular difficulty in November with cruise stops in Taiwan, and China or with our departure from Hong Kong. Then for next week, my DW had signed up for a painting class. She;s a watercolorist and this instructor has some notoriety. She felt lucky to be able to block out a week and travel to the class. She was busily packing and putting together the needed supplies to depart Super Bowl Sunday, when she was notified that the class was canceled due to Coronavirus fear by the instructor. This was a nearby, local venue- not an international excursion. She was told that her entrance fee would be refunded, though the organizer would still be on the hook for the rental of the facility.

Jim

Sorry Paula will miss out on the class. Hmmm I tend to think the instructor is way paranoid. Just shaking my head at this level of caution. Really more of a risk at catching a cold. To each their own.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Last Thursday we left Portland Oregon for Hobart Tasmania. Saw many people wearing those masks that look like for surgery. These are pretty useless. They are designed to prevent doctors and nurses from breathing on patients not to protect the Doctors or Nurses. We did bring N95 Masks with us in case things got bad and in case of smoke particulates. Saw a whole family wearing N95's. But incorrectly. They were not wearing them to cover their noses only their mouths. This is our second trip to Tasmania in 4 years.

People worry about things that have such a low probability. Driving is much more dangerous.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Here is a likely statistic : Overall deaths in China are probably down this month.
Every day (X) number of people die from vehicle accidents and hit bicyclist & pedestrians etc With travel reduced and people in China afraid to go to public places - it is likely that deaths from these types of incidents have been reduced significantly compared to the average daily total .
Visits to hospitals in the Wuhan area are obviously way up .

bump
And - if we all wash our hands more etc / overall deaths in North America etc .from “ seasonal flu “ will likely decline in Feb & March 2020 - because more folk are following the protocols that we should all follow - but don’t.

Last edited:

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last Thursday we left Portland Oregon for Hobart Tasmania. Saw many people wearing those masks that look like for surgery. These are pretty useless. They are designed to prevent doctors and nurses from breathing on patients not to protect the Doctors or Nurses. We did bring N95 Masks with us in case things got bad and in case of smoke particulates. Saw a whole family wearing N95's. But incorrectly. They were not wearing them to cover their noses only their mouths. This is our second trip to Tasmania in 4 years.

People worry about things that have such a low probability. Driving is much more dangerous.
Were they wearing masks because of the coronavirus or because of the smoke?

Somewhat off topic, but since Australia came up and in line with cancelling trips, my wife and I cancelled a trip to Australia. While many parts of the trip would have been okay, the major attraction for us was a three day stop on Kangaroo Island. The attraction there was the diverse wildlife, much of which is not seen elsewhere in Australia. Half the island has been burned down including the lodge where we were scheduled to stay. It was a major repository for koala bears. The estimate is that half of them died in the fires and there are many that are in tough shape. All very sad.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Does Travel Insurance Cover The Coronavirus?.

Richard

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Bloomberg reports that on top of corona virus, there is a bird flu out break happening in Woohoo .
Bill

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500

We have not experienced any smoke issues. Does it matter which. Wearing it wrong will not help with either.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those of you interested in this topic, check out "Pandemic" on Netflix. Super interesting . It's not a drama - it's a docuseries.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Population of China about 1.4 Billion. Confirmed cases of Coronavirus 17,000 = 0.0000121428%.
361 confirmed deaths. Confirmed cases of Coronavirus 17,000 = 0.0211764706 of the confirmed cases have died from the virus.

The CDC estimates that during 2018 - 2019 flu season that 42.9 million people got the flu, 647,000 people were hospitalized due to the flu, and 61,200 died from the flu.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Population of China about 1.4 Billion. Confirmed cases of Coronavirus 17,000 = 0.0000121428%.
361 confirmed deaths. Confirmed cases of Coronavirus 17,000 = 0.0211764706 of the confirmed cases have died from the virus.

The CDC estimates that during 2018 - 2019 flu season that 42.9 million people got the flu, 647,000 people were hospitalized due to the flu, and 61,200 died from the flu.
Right now I am much more afraid of the flu, in time that could change.

I also believe many more people get the flu that aren’t diagnosed. My mom, cousin and sister all are sick now with the same symptoms I had when I had the flu and none of their doctors gave them the flu test as they didn’t have it. I got the test so I was a confirmed case.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
A friend of mine just changed his trip from China to Thailand and is getting amazing rates.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines

Somewhat off topic, but since Australia came up and in line with cancelling trips, my wife and I cancelled a trip to Australia. While many parts of the trip would have been okay, the major attraction for us was a three day stop on Kangaroo Island. The attraction there was the diverse wildlife, much of which is not seen elsewhere in Australia. Half the island has been burned down including the lodge where we were scheduled to stay. It was a major repository for koala bears. The estimate is that half of them died in the fires and there are many that are in tough shape. All very sad.
Sorry about your trip. Son1, my DDIL and many family members are in Sidney now. It's a return trip for my son. He was there 20 years ago. I'm super happy he gets to share this experience with his beloved.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
A friend of mine just changed his trip from China to Thailand and is getting amazing rates.
It's crazy deals . My brother in law was able to last minute book a live aboard dive trip in the Philippines for about 1/3 of the usual price. Probably because of Corona virus. The dive pics he has been taking are fantastic.
Bill

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
We've been inundated with spam from Celebrity offering tons of free perks and free room upgrades for travel through 2022. We were on one of their cruises last fall so are on their email list. Have already received 3, count 'em 3 emails from them this morning. Usually only one a day or every other day and none of those offered the perks they are offering now.

Ingrid
It's crazy deals . My brother in law was able to last minute book a live aboard dive trip in the Philippines for about 1/3 of the usual price. Probably because of Corona virus. The dive pics he has been taking are fantastic.
Bill

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've been inundated with spam from Celebrity offering tons of free perks and free room upgrades for travel through 2022.. . . . .Have already received 3, count 'em 3 emails from them this morning. Usually only one a day or every other day and none of those offered the perks they are offering now.
We booked a (Celebrity) back-to-back in Italy for this coming summer. Our usual balcony cabin. Then the discounts started rolling in. First they upgraded us to Aqua 1, then the price dropped again and we went to a Sky Suite. Then they added all 4 perks ( premium drinks, internet, gratuities, and OBC) Then they added more OBC. I don't know if they're done yet, but OBC is up to $600 + another $150 after we board. Plus at least 2 specialty dinners. We haven't even paid more than the basic deposit yet.

Jim

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
We booked a (Celebrity) back-to-back in Italy for this coming summer. Our usual balcony cabin. Then the discounts started rolling in. First they upgraded us to Aqua 1, then the price dropped again and we went to a Sky Suite. Then they added all 4 perks ( premium drinks, internet, gratuities, and OBC) Then they added more OBC. I don't know if they're done yet, but OBC is up to $600 + another $150 after we board. Plus at least 2 specialty dinners. We haven't even paid more than the basic deposit yet.

Jim
Wow, they probably believe this new Virus will scare customers from traveling and are trying to make deals that are too good to pass up. If the outbreak is contained, then they will have sailings with very happy passengers who got great deals. Otherwise if it continues to spread many cruises will be cancelled.

This makes me wonder, how many passengers caught the flu from others on their cruise who had it? My guess many.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Where were those cruises going?

Transpacific: Sydney Australia-New Zealand-Polynesian Islands (Tahiti, Bora Bora, Morea)-Honolulu, HI. Hawaii cruise around the islands ending in Vancouver Canada.

We don't want to get on a plane. We don't want to get on a port in Sydney. We don't want to be in confined space in a plane or cruise ship. The coronavirus spread is no longer confined to just from China.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge

Jim

Wow! We have an Alaska land and cruise pkg booked for later this year on Princess. I was complaining to DH that we weren't getting these kinds of offers... ...he reminded me that the cruise has been sold out for at least a month!!! We did receive free beverage, wifi and gratuities perks though as we booked a suite.

Ingrid

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Right now, I'm not worried about getting the Coronavirus (BTW, it will get a new name soon - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-china-51371770), but it doesn't mean I'm ignoring the warnings and the spread of the virus.

A flu pandemic happens about 3X every 100 years. The 1918 Spanish flu killed 50-100 million people. Those of us in good health with access to excellent medical care, are in a pretty good position to get through an infection OK, but we could pass the virus on to someone who is much more vulnerable. Novel viruses are scary if you understand how devastating they can be. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_pandemic I would feel horrible if I passed on a virus that killed others.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been watching a cruise from CA we are on next month. Yesterday, no insides left and balcony was around $6,400. Today...there are insides available and balcony dropped to $5,700. If they continue to drop I will try to reprice my inside for a balcony. At this point, I'm not changing anything. Disneyland and cruise.....talk about potential for germs. I will monitor over the next month if it gets very bad, the I will reconsider. At this point my concern is not getting coronavirus…..it is about quarantined in my room on a cruise ship for 14 days. If there is a high potential for THAT, then I'm making other plans.